Bicycling Magazine subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cori

Does anyone here also subscribe. I love the magazine, but the customer service stinks. I still
haven't received the April issue, despite two e-mails to the contrary. (They claim that shipping
will take 4 to 6 weeks.)

Cori

"Cori" wrote:

> Does anyone here also subscribe. I love the magazine, but the customer service stinks. I still
> haven't received the April issue, despite two e-mails to the contrary. (They claim that shipping
> will take 4 to 6 weeks.)

I've never had a problem. I'm not thrilled with the mag though, except for an occasional piece. But
I got a two year subscription on eBay for $10 so I don't complain too much. ;->

Art Harris

I'm letting my subscription run out this time. I'm less than thrilled with the new look. And the
buyers guide was a joke. I never ride off-road so that cuts out 50% of it. Remove all the
advertisements for carb-free beer and vehicles and that leaves you with 25% remaining. The last 25%
contains rehashed articles and snippets about nutrition, maintenance and "style".

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:06:33 GMT, Cori <[email protected]> wrote:

I too have had the exact same problem with them this month!

>Does anyone here also subscribe. I love the magazine, but the customer service stinks. I still
>haven't received the April issue, despite two e-mails to the contrary. (They claim that shipping
>will take 4 to 6 weeks.)
>
>Cori

I have fond memories of Bicycle Rider back in the mid-eighties. Well-written articles about the joys
of cycling and experiencing the world by bike. About all Bicycling magazine could ever muster was
articles about the joys of a new derailleur.

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nope. Only mag I "subscribe" to is Adventure Cyclist (comes with my membership). Before that, you
> would have to go back to Bicycle Rider. Both touring magazines.

I used to subscribe to several bicycling mags; I out grew them after a while. You will likely do the
same, or just get bored with the repetition of the content.

Pictures are always good though. And, you can always catch up at the doctor or dentists office.

Cheers, Tp

Cori wrote:

> Does anyone here also subscribe. I love the magazine, but the customer service stinks. I still
> haven't received the April issue, despite two e-mails to the contrary. (They claim that shipping
>
> Cori

--

Tp

-------- __o ----- -\<. ------ __o --- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\<. ----------------- ( ) / ( )
---------------------------------------------

Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

TomP wrote:
> I used to subscribe to several bicycling mags; I out grew them after a while. You will likely
> do the same, or just get bored with the repetition of the content.

I'm new enough to it that I still like the mag. Hey, I realize that it's fluff, but there are worse
things out there to read, like the Enquirer.

I just wish I'd receive the fluff that I've paid for, in the month that it's published.

Cori

Try the Rivendell Reader for a real cycling magazine! "Cori" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Cori

[email protected] wrote:
> Try the Rivendell Reader for a real cycling magazine! "Cori" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Does anyone here also subscribe. I love the magazine, but the customer service stinks. I still
>>haven't received the April issue, despite two e-mails to the contrary. (They claim that shipping
>>will take 4 to 6 weeks.)
>>
>>Cori
>>
>
>
>

Does Barnes and Noble carry that? (I've NEVER seen it.)

C

If you're a roadie, the choices in magazines are pretty slim. Bicycling magazine is better than no magazine at all. At least you can read about new bikes and equipment, plus interesting rides to do. That's worth the cost of a subscription.

Cori <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

I read CyclingPlus, which is a British magazine. Much better than Bicycling; a fair balance between
racing, touring & commuting....

Bicycling suffers from being too performance-focused. If you aren't shaving your eyebrows off to
gain a picosecond on the next 50km TT, or riding off clifftops on a frame with enough suspension to
put the Golden Gate to shame, you're nobody. A real LycraLout rag.

There isn't much in the way of practical, sane advice on how to get around by bicycle.

Stateside, my local library gets it. I read it there, and it doesn't bug me that much.

[off-topic flamebait below, warning]

What is with American bike culture, anyway? In the US, bikes are either toys for kids or athletic
equipment. Everything is to a program; rides are "training rides", everything to maximize
performance....

-Luigi

"dennisg" wrote:
> If you're a roadie, the choices in magazines are pretty slim. Bicycling magazine is better than no
> magazine at all. At least you can read about new bikes and equipment, plus interesting rides to
> do. That's worth the cost of a subscription.

Actually, there's a new road magazine coming out in the US called "Asphalt." It will feature
contributions by Owen Mulholland, Maynard Hershon, Ron Peterson, and others. It's quite pricey, but
is supposed to be high quality with no (or minimal) advertising.

See: http://www.asphaltmag.com/first_issue/firstissue.htm

Art Harris

>If you're a roadie, the choices in magazines are pretty slim. Bicycling magazine is better than no
>magazine at all.

I decided several years ago that Bicycling was not a good thing. Too much hype and too little honest
evaluation.

Give me rec.bicycles.misc or rec.bicycles.tech any day.

Jon Isaacs

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "dennisg" wrote:
> > If you're a roadie, the choices in magazines are pretty
slim. Bicycling
> > magazine is better than no magazine at all. At least you
can read about
> > new bikes and equipment, plus interesting rides to do.
That's worth the
> > cost of a subscription.
>
> Actually, there's a new road magazine coming out in the US
called "Asphalt."
> It will feature contributions by Owen Mulholland, Maynard
Hershon, Ron
> Peterson, and others. It's quite pricey, but is supposed
to be high quality
> with no (or minimal) advertising.
>
> See: http://www.asphaltmag.com/first_issue/firstissue.htm
>

I dunno about this one:

"Out of the saddle efforts were markedly responsive. With the better weight distribution and the
titanium's springiness, I was able to react quickly and confidently to pack movements. In addition
while the titanium certainly absorbed a good amount of road shock, the QOR lacked that dulling feel
we often associate with carbon fiber. "

Same old, same-old. Give us a break, please!

Matt O.

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> [off-topic flamebait below, warning]
>
> What is with American bike culture, anyway? In the US, bikes are either toys for kids or athletic
> equipment. Everything is to a program; rides are "training rides", everything to maximize
> performance....

You're right, unfortunately. In Europe, bikes are transportation, in the US they're recreation (this
is a generalization - there are European recreational riders, I'm sure, but it covers the general
situation).

There is definitely the view in the US that bicycles are something that children ride until they're
old enough to get their automotive driver's licenses, then quickly shed. It's a shame - bicycles are
a great way to get some exercise and fresh air while also accomplishing the goal of getting
somewhere! :)

Don't ask me to explain my countrymen, but you've got an accurate view of the situation.

Mark

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:43:11 -0400, Mark <[email protected]> from Agilent Technologies wrote:

>Luigi de Guzman wrote:
>> [off-topic flamebait below, warning]
>>
>> What is with American bike culture, anyway? In the US, bikes are either toys for kids or athletic
>> equipment. Everything is to a program; rides are "training rides", everything to maximize
>> performance....
>
>You're right, unfortunately. In Europe, bikes are transportation, in the US they're recreation
>(this is a generalization - there are European recreational riders, I'm sure, but it covers the
>general situation).
>
>There is definitely the view in the US that bicycles are something that children ride until they're
>old enough to get their automotive driver's licenses, then quickly shed. It's a shame - bicycles
>are a great way to get some exercise and fresh air while also accomplishing the goal of getting
>somewhere! :)
>
>Don't ask me to explain my countrymen, but you've got an accurate view of the situation.

Bicycling's portrayal of American cycling is flawed.

Many poor people in America use bikes as transport. In my deep south community, poor mostly
translates into black minorities, which is a sham term here because blacks are a majority of my
city's population. On my commutes, I'll often hook up with people using bikes to get around as daily
transport.

Their bikes, though, aren't quite ready for the pages of Bicycling magazine. The longer a person has
been riding and/or the farther distances they commute, the better their bike tends to be. But none
of them are things of great beauty except to the owners.

Bicycling ignores that segment completely -- both poor and minorities. The big advertising money
comes from companies selling expensive toys to privileged white adults. So that is the market they
aim for. And thus, Bicycling is not an accurate portrayal of American cycling.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Is this the line for the latest whimsical
YUGOSLAVIAN drama which also makes you want to CRY and reconsider the VIETNAM WAR?
1:45:36 PM 28 April 2003

Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

> Bicycling's portrayal of American cycling is flawed.

Their goal is to sell magazines, not "portray cycling."

Are the cars in Car and Driver typical of what you see on the road?

Are the women in Penthouse typical... well you get my drift. <g>

Art Harris

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:43:11 -0400, Mark
<[email protected]> from Agilent
> Technologies wrote:
>
> >Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> >> [off-topic flamebait below, warning]
> >>
> >> What is with American bike culture, anyway? In the US,
bikes are
> >> either toys for kids or athletic equipment. Everything
is to a
> >> program; rides are "training rides", everything to
maximize
> >> performance....
> >
> >You're right, unfortunately. In Europe, bikes are
transportation, in
> >the US they're recreation (this is a generalization -
there are European
> >recreational riders, I'm sure, but it covers the general
situation).
> >
> >There is definitely the view in the US that bicycles are
something that
> >children ride until they're old enough to get their
automotive driver's
> >licenses, then quickly shed. It's a shame - bicycles are
a great way to
> >get some exercise and fresh air while also accomplishing
the goal of
> >getting somewhere! :)
> >
> >Don't ask me to explain my countrymen, but you've got an
accurate view
> >of the situation.
>
> Bicycling's portrayal of American cycling is flawed.
>
> Many poor people in America use bikes as transport. In my
deep south community,
> poor mostly translates into black minorities, which is a
sham term here because
> blacks are a majority of my city's population. On my
commutes, I'll often hook
> up with people using bikes to get around as daily
transport.

Where in the Deep South do you live?

> Their bikes, though, aren't quite ready for the pages of
Bicycling magazine. The
> longer a person has been riding and/or the farther
distances they commute, the
> better their bike tends to be. But none of them are things
of great beauty
> except to the owners.
>
> Bicycling ignores that segment completely -- both poor and
minorities. The big
> advertising money comes from companies selling expensive
toys to privileged
> white adults. So that is the market they aim for. And
thus, Bicycling is not an
> accurate portrayal of American cycling.

You hit a big nail right on the head.

Even in oh-so-trendy southern CA, I bet there are more poor people riding bikes for transportation,
than Buycycling-type yuppies, and riding longer distances daily too. In my old neighborhood, there
was a steady stream of restaurant workers commuting home at 2am. I've talked to some of these people
-- a Newport Beach to Santa Ana commute (10-15 miles) is pretty common. The favored bike seems to be
a Pacific or Wal-Goose, usually fairly new, and in pretty good shape. Some of these guys are
actually pretty fast. Bus-bike commutes are pretty common too.

I would love to start a magazine or website featuring *all* cyclists, from around the world. Getting
magazine distribution is pretty tough these days. You're very limited with what you can do -- it's
kind of like getting radio airplay for musicians. If you don't have corporate backing and fit into
an established pigeonhole, you can pretty much forget the whole thing -- unless you have a huge
trust fund, and some good friends at a free-thinking publishing house.

So a website makes more sense, plus it could be read around the world. (Most poor folks with access
to magazines can probably also go to an internet cafe or library.) With current projects standing in
the way, I won't be getting into this for a couple of years, but it *is* something I'd like to do
eventually. I'm getting more seriously into cycling as a lifestyle as I get older.

BTW, Bike magazine, as originally conceived by Surfer Publications, was to feature all kinds of
cycling and cycling culture. But then mountain biking went from an adventure travel sport to a
canned consumer marketing phenomenon, and its fate was sealed.

I'd rather read about a day in the life of a pedi-cab driver in India than which kewl toonz some
racer dood lissenz to. And I find $4000 Ti bikes about as interesting as gold plated bathroom
fixtures, with which they have much in common.

Matt O.

Status
Not open for further replies.