Bicycling Magazine

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Macclan, May 13, 2003.

  1. At Philadelphia Airport on Sunday evening I was looking to get rid of my last remaining dollars and
    picked up a copy of 'Bicycling' magazine. I put it in my bag and didn't look at it again until I
    arrived in London. Taking it out the first thing I saw was the back cover with a full page
    advertisement for Acura cars (upmarket Hondas?). I was so surprised I honestly thought I must have
    picked up the wrong magazine. Opening the front cover I then found a two page ad for VW Beetles and
    elsewhere offerings from Mazda, Subaru (topped with a picture of Lance Armstrong), and Nissan.
    (Note, no US makes.) There was also a feature article on the Honda Element (go to www.hondacars.com
    to see what you could be using to add to the greenhouse effect!).

    I don't read any UK cycling magazines. Do they have as many car ads? BTW, Lance features in a TV ad
    for Subaru, too.

    There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
    pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.

    The magazine is a really good read. Tests, articles on improving your fitness and a fascinating 10
    page feature on Graeme Obree.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > At Philadelphia Airport on Sunday evening I was looking to get rid of my last remaining dollars
    > and picked up a copy of 'Bicycling' magazine. I put it in my bag and didn't look at it again until
    > I arrived in London. Taking it out the first thing I saw was the back cover with a full page
    > advertisement for Acura cars (upmarket Hondas?). I was so surprised I honestly thought I must have
    > picked up the wrong magazine. Opening the front cover I then found a two page ad for VW Beetles
    > and elsewhere offerings from Mazda, Subaru (topped with a picture of Lance Armstrong), and Nissan.
    > (Note, no US makes.) There was also a feature article on the Honda Element (go to
    > www.hondacars.com to see what you could be using to add to the greenhouse effect!).
    >
    > I don't read any UK cycling magazines. Do they have as many car ads? BTW, Lance features in a TV
    > ad for Subaru, too.
    >
    > There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
    > pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.
    >
    > The magazine is a really good read. Tests, articles on improving your fitness and a fascinating 10
    > page feature on Graeme Obree.

    Pretty standard for the US magazines. Cycling tends to be more of a "lifestyle" activity and
    benefits quite a lot from automotive sponsorship. Even the International Mountain Bicycling
    Association has significant Subaru sponsorship. That apart the big difference I find between the US
    and UK magazines is the former are mainly about the people and the latter mainly about the rides and
    equipment.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  3. In news:[email protected], Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
    > pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.

    I wonder if they actually sold any of those or just made one up from their bits bucket and put it in
    their catalogue.

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote

    > There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
    > pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.
    >
    > --
    > Michael MacClancy

    Now you know why they call it "Buycycling".
    --
    mark

  5. In message <[email protected]>, mark
    <[email protected]> writes

    >"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote
    >

    >> There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
    >> pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael MacClancy
    >
    >Now you know why they call it "Buycycling".
    >--
    >mark

    LOL. In fairness, the article is entitled 'Fetish - feeding your irrational desires' and the other
    trike reviewed is Giant's Li'l Giant at $80.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  6. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At Philadelphia Airport on Sunday evening I was looking to get rid of my
    > >
    > I don't read any UK cycling magazines. Do they have as many car ads? BTW, Lance features in a TV
    > ad for Subaru, too.
    >
    > There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
    > pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.
    >
    > The magazine is a really good read.

    The first one may be a good read but by the 3rd or 4th you'll see it as lightweight with little real
    substance. Brit bike mags are vastly superior.