Bicycling Magazine

Michael Macclan

Guest
At Philadelphia Airport on Sunday evening I was looking to get rid of my last remaining dollars and
picked up a copy of 'Bicycling' magazine. I put it in my bag and didn't look at it again until I
arrived in London. Taking it out the first thing I saw was the back cover with a full page
advertisement for Acura cars (upmarket Hondas?). I was so surprised I honestly thought I must have
picked up the wrong magazine. Opening the front cover I then found a two page ad for VW Beetles and
elsewhere offerings from Mazda, Subaru (topped with a picture of Lance Armstrong), and Nissan.
(Note, no US makes.) There was also a feature article on the Honda Element (go to www.hondacars.com
to see what you could be using to add to the greenhouse effect!).

I don't read any UK cycling magazines. Do they have as many car ads? BTW, Lance features in a TV ad
for Subaru, too.

There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.

The magazine is a really good read. Tests, articles on improving your fitness and a fascinating 10
page feature on Graeme Obree.
--
Michael MacClancy

In news:[email protected], Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> typed:
> At Philadelphia Airport on Sunday evening I was looking to get rid of my last remaining dollars
> and picked up a copy of 'Bicycling' magazine. I put it in my bag and didn't look at it again until
> I arrived in London. Taking it out the first thing I saw was the back cover with a full page
> advertisement for Acura cars (upmarket Hondas?). I was so surprised I honestly thought I must have
> picked up the wrong magazine. Opening the front cover I then found a two page ad for VW Beetles
> and elsewhere offerings from Mazda, Subaru (topped with a picture of Lance Armstrong), and Nissan.
> (Note, no US makes.) There was also a feature article on the Honda Element (go to
> www.hondacars.com to see what you could be using to add to the greenhouse effect!).
>
> I don't read any UK cycling magazines. Do they have as many car ads? BTW, Lance features in a TV
> ad for Subaru, too.
>
> There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
> pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.
>
> The magazine is a really good read. Tests, articles on improving your fitness and a fascinating 10
> page feature on Graeme Obree.

Pretty standard for the US magazines. Cycling tends to be more of a "lifestyle" activity and
benefits quite a lot from automotive sponsorship. Even the International Mountain Bicycling
Association has significant Subaru sponsorship. That apart the big difference I find between the US
and UK magazines is the former are mainly about the people and the latter mainly about the rides and
equipment.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

In news:[email protected], Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> typed:
> There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
> pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.

I wonder if they actually sold any of those or just made one up from their bits bucket and put it in
their catalogue.

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote

> There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
> pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.
>
> --
> Michael MacClancy

Now you know why they call it "Buycycling".
--
mark

In message <[email protected]>, mark
<[email protected]> writes

>"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>> There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
>> pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.
>>
>> --
>> Michael MacClancy
>
>Now you know why they call it "Buycycling".
>--
>mark

LOL. In fairness, the article is entitled 'Fetish - feeding your irrational desires' and the other
trike reviewed is Giant's Li'l Giant at $80.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> At Philadelphia Airport on Sunday evening I was looking to get rid of my
> >
> I don't read any UK cycling magazines. Do they have as many car ads? BTW, Lance features in a TV
> ad for Subaru, too.
>
> There was also a feature on kids' trikes. Litespeed do a titanium model with Cane Creek headset,
> pneumatic tyres and a springy saddle for a 'cool $850'.
>
> The magazine is a really good read.

The first one may be a good read but by the 3rd or 4th you'll see it as lightweight with little real
substance. Brit bike mags are vastly superior.