Bicycling - Man's new best friend?

Alias

Jun 20, 2006
I pretty sure my girlfriend by now thinks i'm having it off with another woman. Here we are sitting in a cafe, having a coffee on a beautiful sunday morning. It's a mild 17-18 degrees, winter finally lots like it's heading south for a holiday, and there is not a cloud in the sky. The g/f casually reaches across the table, grabs my hand in hers and says to me, "what do you want to do today?"
I, even more casually say, "I'm not really fussed. What ever you want to do is fine."
The atmosphere in the cafe was great. Lots of people enjoying a very traditional sunday morning brew. Young women walking past for their daily constitutional, blokes running past trying to impress the ladies. The cafe full of fresh faces, chatting about how their week has been and latest happenings of their favourite tv show.
The g/f was busy telling me about how her week had been in the classroom, and all the happenings of the staff's weekly wind down at one of the local cocktail bars.

I was starely blankly out the window, throwing in the casual nod and smile, even the odd "ah-ha" every now and then. Just to make it look like i really was interested in the secretary's new love interest. Thats when i saw it, two young guys and a girl, all cladded up in their lycra shorts with shirt sleeved jerseys and arm warmers on. They parked up their bikes and hobbled into the cafe, joining the throng of latte drinkers and chai tea sippers. I kept peering out the window at their bikes, particularly drawn to the soft curves and compact frame of the Giant TCR zero. With it's full dura-ace groupset and mavic ksyrium sl wheelset, i couldn't help but be drawn away from the cafe and retreat in to my own thoughts about my other love. My '06 Giant TCR C2, i know she is a bit heavier and doesn't really look like much next to a zero, but she's mine, and i love it.

On the way home i decided that it would be better to let the g/f have it straight, tell her how i really felt. It had been two days since i'd slipped into my own set of lycra and i was starting to feel the affects of its absence. I got myself so worked up, that i couldn't even wait before i got in the front door of the house. "ohh, please, please, please, let me go for a ride! It feels like forever since i've been in the saddle." I'd given it to her both barrels. It's time i got what i wanted. I'd put up with enough chick flicks and dress stores for the weekend, now it was my turn to get tough.
"I'll do anything you want. I'll cook tea, rub your feet, hang out the washing, wash dishes, give you a massage!" With teary eyes and a heaving chest, I knew i'd cracked it with the last one. It was always a sure thing, the back rub. I don't know why i didn't mention it first.

It was only when i got home, legs throbbing and delirously thristy, generally stuffed from the ride when i realised, i'd been had. The g/f had been planning this all morning. She was sitting there reading a magazine with her feet resting on the biggest load of washing i've ever seen, then informs me there is another load on the way. I knew i was in for a rough and tough afternoon, but i couldn't care less. My tryst had been made, my desire fulfilled and i was feeling content. Nothing could get me down because i knew, before long, i'd be back on the pavement with my new best friend. ;)

The hunters returned from the trail near the beach while the collectors waited eagerly with a pile of nuts for the hunters to break open, but the hunters wern't interested, they wanted to build new spears, like the one they saw the other hunters using this morning.

My boyfriend used to think I was nuts when I'd go off and ride 40mi every other weekend of so. Then it started happening more and more often, I started riding every weekend, then during the week and finally started commuting to work. He made fun at first, but he was jealous of my relationship with my bike. One day he decided to try it and now he loves riding like I do.

Smaller things were to follow his spandex, shoes and eventually helment. We sometimes ride together, but we have different paces (I'm faster than he is:D :D ). Now people don't just think of me as that weird girl that rides a bike everywhere, nope... I'm part of that weird couple that ride everywhere.

Here's a thought, why not buy her a bike?
I bought my wife a bike, and we ride together 2-3 times a week. It is perfect, as I get home before her and can go out on my ride. When I return she is home, and ready to go (cool down for me). She is getting better every week, and has shown interest in going on longer rides with me on the weekend. Life is good :)

I saw a couple on a fancy two-up at the head of the pack today. It was either a race or a charity ride, but there they were. I'd personally love to have a girlfriend that liked to ride maybe even try tandem. Though I like my bike alot. My labs are my best friends always.