"Bicycling", the magazine features recumbent.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Alpha Beta, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    Hey, I saw a two page feature that presents two recumbents -- a Giant (not really a recumbent) and
    the Burley Taiko -- in Bicycling magazine.

    They were presenting not so much the bikes themselves but the a lifestyle. Unfornately, their models
    were not representative of the "white male with beard" demographices of the bent world. These models
    were young women in biking tights, who obviously were just that, models, and who probably would know
    how to ride these things.

    Tags:

  2. Would, or wouldn't know how to ride them? I suspect the latter. MB

    "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey, I saw a two page feature that presents two recumbents -- a Giant (not really a recumbent) and
    > the Burley Taiko -- in Bicycling magazine.
    >
    > They were presenting not so much the bikes themselves but the a lifestyle. Unfornately, their
    > models were not representative of the "white male with beard" demographices of the bent world.
    > These models were young women in biking tights, who obviously were just that, models, and who
    > probably
    would
    > know how to ride these things.

  3. "Alpha Beta" skrev...
    > Unfornately, their models were not representative of the "white male with beard" demographices of
    > the bent world. These models were young women in biking tights, who obviously were just that,
    > models, and who probably would know how to ride these things.

    Well given the choice of looking at a "white male with beard" or "young women models in biking
    tights" I would pick the latter any day.

    oink oink ;) Mikael, white but no beard

  4. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Send the "young women in tights" to me. I will teach them ho to be recumbent. <G>

    Tom

  5. Skip

    Skip Guest

    > "Alpha Beta" skrev...
    > > Unfornately, their models were not representative of the "white male
    with
    > > beard" demographices of the bent world. These models were young women in biking tights, who
    > > obviously were just that, models, and who probably
    would
    > > know how to ride these things.
    >
    > Well given the choice of looking at a "white male with beard" or "young women models in biking
    > tights" I would pick the latter any day.
    >
    > oink oink ;) Mikael, white but no beard

    Well.....this may not be a popular thought, but keep in mind that beauty is only in the eye of
    the beholder.

    1. The older white male with aero belly and beard looks right at home on the Harleyesque Easy Racer.

    2. The sleek European styled swb, along with high racer and low racer bikes and their belly up (laid
    back if you wish) ergonomics require a sleek more fit rider if they are not to appear ridiculous.

    3. Manufacturers don't want their products to appear ridiculous in advertisements hence the use of
    sleek youthful female models. A long time ago someone noted that sex sells.

    4. Myself - I ride an Easy Racer. As Bill O'Riley likes to say, to do otherwise would be
    ridiculous. [1]

    Skip

    [5] Not that there is anything wrong with being ridiculous of course.

  6. I will teach them HO....bet I know what went through your mind when you made that typo LOL
    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Send the "young women in tights" to me. I will teach them ho to be recumbent. <G>
    >
    > Tom

  7. Skip

    Skip Guest

    So you gonna teach them ho's how to be recumbent eh Tom? Could be you need to change the station on
    your radio. :)

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Send the "young women in tights" to me. I will teach them ho to be recumbent. <G>
    >
    > Tom

  8. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    We're not Bicycling Magazine, but the article I'm doing on 'bent for my mag is aimed at getting a
    truer picture of the 'bent society, as well as aiming folks toward the kinds of machines that garner
    the respect of folks on this board. (Not, for the most part, made by any company that any DFer might
    have heard of...)

    sj

  9. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    Edit:

    Of course, I don't much represent the WGWB (White guy with beard) 'bent demo either. I'm a lot
    younger, no beard nor aerobelly. I just think 'bent is more fun.

    sj

  10. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    What mag is that?

    JR

    Seth Jayson wrote:

    > We're not Bicycling Magazine, but the article I'm doing on 'bent for my mag is aimed at getting a
    > truer picture of the 'bent society, as well as aiming folks toward the kinds of machines that
    > garner the respect of folks on this board. (Not, for the most part, made by any company that any
    > DFer might have heard of...)
    >
    > sj

  11. "skip" skrev...

    > 1. The older white male with aero belly and beard looks right at home on the Harleyesque Easy
    > Racer.

    Well I look quite at home on mine too. (less older, aerobelly and beard ;-) )
    http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels ("recumbents"-folder) Only one of me on it tho and thats
    with my sock.

    > 2. The sleek European styled swb, along with high racer and low racer bikes and their belly up
    > (laid back if you wish) ergonomics require a sleek more fit rider if they are not to appear
    > ridiculous.

    Belly-up ergonomics. I like that. :) "Yes, for our new lowracer we adopted 'belly-up ergonomics'.
    We discovered it by meticulous studies of dead fish."

    > 3. Manufacturers don't want their products to appear ridiculous in advertisements hence the use
    > of sleek youthful female models. A long time ago someone noted that sex sells.

    I'm all for sleek youthful female models.

    > 4. Myself - I ride an Easy Racer. As Bill O'Riley likes to say, to do otherwise would be
    > ridiculous. [1]

    Well I ride both. A TE-clone and the belly-upper. That makes me semi-silly I suppose. ;o)

    Mikael

  12. Skip

    Skip Guest

    My point is this: If you are like Mikael - thin, fit, beardless, bellyless (as most fit thin people
    are) you can ride whatever the hell you want and still look good. But if you don't exactly fit the
    Mikael mold and you still want to ride one of those sleek, sweet, sexy European styled works of
    racing art, then please consider a body sock and a shave. :)

    > "skip" skrev...
    >
    > > 1. The older white male with aero belly and beard looks right at home on
    the
    > > Harleyesque Easy Racer.
    >
    > Well I look quite at home on mine too. (less older, aerobelly and beard
    ;-) )
    > http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels ("recumbents"-folder) Only one of me on it tho and thats
    > with my sock.
    >
    > > 2. The sleek European styled swb, along with high racer and low racer
    bikes
    > > and their belly up (laid back if you wish) ergonomics require a sleek
    more
    > > fit rider if they are not to appear ridiculous.
    >
    > Belly-up ergonomics. I like that. :) "Yes, for our new lowracer we adopted 'belly-up ergonomics'.
    > We discovered it by meticulous studies of dead fish."
    >
    > > 3. Manufacturers don't want their products to appear ridiculous in advertisements hence the use
    > > of sleek youthful female models. A long
    time
    > > ago someone noted that sex sells.
    >
    > I'm all for sleek youthful female models.
    >
    > > 4. Myself - I ride an Easy Racer. As Bill O'Riley likes to say, to do otherwise would be
    > > ridiculous. [1]
    >
    > Well I ride both. A TE-clone and the belly-upper. That makes me semi-silly
    I suppose. ;o)

    > Mikael

  13. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    I think it is better if you present the recumbents with the slim-young-women-in-biking-tights
    lifestyle if you want to help the bent community. If you present a true picture, the general public
    may not be swayed.

    "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We're not Bicycling Magazine, but the article I'm doing on 'bent for my mag is aimed at getting a
    > truer picture of the 'bent society,

  14. I was thinking of having ENZA the Super-Model shown in her signature Mini skirt and thigh high boots
    with my Trike in adverts...think of the image that conjurs up. For those in the USA not familiar
    with ENZA, he ran for Mayor of Toronto and is doing it again in the next election.
    "Alpha Beta" <sphynxsr[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think it is better if you present the recumbents with the slim-young-women-in-biking-tights
    > lifestyle if you want to help the bent community. If you present a true picture, the general
    > public may not be swayed.
    >

    > "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > We're not Bicycling Magazine, but the article I'm doing on 'bent for my mag is aimed at getting
    > > a truer picture of the 'bent society,

  15. Skip

    Skip Guest

    I'm from the USA and I'm confused, which isn't unusual, but did some guy named ENZA run for mayor of
    Toronto wearing a mini skirt and thigh high boots? Was he by any chance your former traffic
    commissioner?

    Skip

    > I was thinking of having ENZA the Super-Model shown in her signature Mini skirt and thigh high
    > boots with my Trike in adverts...think of the image that conjurs up. For those in the USA not
    > familiar with ENZA, he ran for Mayor of Toronto and is doing it again in the next election.

  16. Don't think Toronto has a Traffic Commissioner (evident by nothing connected to traffic working
    right). ENZA is a gay male who could so easily pass for an attractive female, that when she was
    working the crowds during the last election campaign, getting groups of construction workers
    pressing the flesh and kissing her (none knew the lady was a He). Toronto has a 400K gay
    population...and an awful lot of them are DF cyclists in the city core. Most of my male friends are
    gay. IF there is any one segment of society who would be more inclined to go Bent, IMHO it would be
    this gay community. I ride through 5 distinct/unique communities daily but it is the gay community
    that has shown the greatest interest in what I ride.

    Don't want to get a flame war going here, but I showed a printout of various bents to a room of
    mid 30s-40s gay males last year and of 30 different bents...ONLY the Optima Baron was the bent
    of choice. Optima Low Rider was 2nd. Seems the Baron riding position and Yellow paint job really
    got them all hot and bothered and I believe in the room 2 went out and shortly after bought
    Optima Barons.

    My friends seemed to think it was the super-healthy looking males in skin-tight Lycra outfits Low
    Racers wore...that got the room all excited. Dragging this out further, IF thong bikini clad buxom
    blonde females get men interested in Sporty cars, perhaps a sexy Queen would do the same in the gay
    arena...or some pumped body builder type named Bruce or Lance or Julian (re: Homer Simpson quote on
    gays in the U.S.Navy).
    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm from the USA and I'm confused, which isn't unusual, but did some guy named ENZA run for mayor
    > of Toronto wearing a mini skirt and thigh high boots? Was he by any chance your former traffic
    > commissioner?
    >
    > Skip
    >
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was thinking of having ENZA the Super-Model shown in her signature
    Mini
    > > skirt and thigh high boots with my Trike in adverts...think of the image that conjurs up. For
    > > those in the USA not familiar with ENZA, he ran for Mayor of Toronto and is doing it again in
    > > the next election.

  17. "Joshua Goldberg" skrev...
    > Don't want to get a flame war going here, but I showed a printout of various bents to a room of
    > mid 30s-40s gay males last year and of 30 different bents...ONLY the Optima Baron was the bent
    > of choice. Optima Low Rider was 2nd. Seems the Baron riding position and Yellow paint job really
    > got them all hot and bothered and I believe in the room 2 went out and shortly after bought
    > Optima Barons.

    "Optima Baron - Totally Gay!" Not sure that slogan will catch on at the company.

    > My friends seemed to think it was the super-healthy looking males in skin-tight Lycra outfits Low
    > Racers wore...that got the room all excited.

    Note to self: Wear bulky stuff if you ever come to Toronto.

    Mikael

  18. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > ...IF there is any one segment of society who would be more inclined to go Bent, IMHO it would be
    > this gay community. I ride through 5 distinct/unique communities daily but it is the gay community
    > that has shown the greatest interest in what I ride....

    I have had complete strangers call me a "fucking queer", fucking homo", and other similar crude
    epithets. The common factor in all these encounters was that I was riding a recumbent bicycle. I
    wonder how men that actually are homosexual would react to this experience?

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  19. Skip

    Skip Guest

    When you visit Toronto your socked ER clone might be your best bet.

    Skip