"Bicycling", the magazine features recumbent.

Not being inclined that way personally I cannot offer an answer. No one has (ever dared) question my
gender preferences (to my face). They have however made comments questioning the marital status of
my parents at my time of birth re: You F**king ******* and questioned my mother's virtue etc. re:
You F**king SOB, or questioned my relationship with my mother re: You MotherF**ker. All of these
people have run for their lives after I stopped my bent btw.

One of the reasons why I wondered about selling bents to gays was an observation I made 3 years ago.
A few gay males bought Norco Mtbs (same model) and within a few months I began to see this (same)
Norco model showing up everywhere....well 50 Norco Mtbs at least. These are NOT low cost Mtbs. I
wondered IF we can get a few bents happening in the same community...perhaps the same sales numbers
will follow.

> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> > ...IF there is any one segment of society who would be more inclined to
go Bent,
> > IMHO it would be this gay community. I ride through 5 distinct/unique communities daily but it
> > is the gay community that has shown the
greatest
> > interest in what I ride....
>
> I have had complete strangers call me a "****ing queer", ****ing ****", and other similar crude
> epithets. The common factor in all these encounters was that I was riding a recumbent bicycle. I
> wonder how men that actually are homosexual would react to this experience?
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

> I have had complete strangers call me a "****ing queer", ****ing ****", and other similar crude
> epithets. The common factor in all these encounters was that I was riding a recumbent bicycle. I
> wonder how men that actually are homosexual would react to this experience?
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

I've heard the same comments while riding a DF. I think it may be more the attitude of the jerks
spouting epithets than the style of your bicycle.

I didn't have a problem at all with the girl, I do have a problem with the premise of the
article -- namely that the recumbent rider would be better off with padded shorts and jerseys
with three pockets.

Because a bicycle seat isn't poking up one's crack, a padded seat is not needed on a recumbent
(unless perhaps you're going for a multi-century). Rear pockets on a jersey are useless. Do you want
a cell phone and keys digging into your back on a recumbent?

You can run a recumbent more comfortably with non-padded shorts and without the pockets -- like the
model on page 80.

BTW, Wal-Mart is now selling a space-age polyester Starter zip-fron bicycle-type jersey WITHOUT REAR
POCKET for $11.

This just demonstrates how ignorant the magazine is about recumbents as well as how over-eager they
are to push high-dollar bike stuff. "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey, I saw a two page feature that presents two recumbents -- a Giant (not really a recumbent) and
> the Burley Taiko -- in Bicycling magazine.
>
> They were presenting not so much the bikes themselves but the a lifestyle. Unfornately, their
> models were not representative of the "white male with beard" demographices of the bent world.
> These models were young women in biking tights, who obviously were just that, models, and who
> probably
would
> know how to ride these things.

What I can't stand is the sight of straight people, especially straight men, on uprights! It is the
most throughly disgusting sight I've ever seen. No Straight males should be allowed to own a
conventional bike. If this were to happen then we would not be subject to such an idiotic post as
the previous two.

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> Not being inclined that way personally I cannot offer an answer. No one has (ever dared) question
> my gender preferences (to my face). They have however made comments questioning the marital status
> of my parents at my time of birth re: You F**king ******* and questioned my mother's virtue etc.
> re: You F**king SOB, or questioned my relationship with my mother re: You MotherF**ker. All of
> these people have run for their lives after I stopped my bent btw.
>
> One of the reasons why I wondered about selling bents to gays was an observation I made 3 years
> ago. A few gay males bought Norco Mtbs (same model) and within a few months I began to see this
> (same) Norco model showing up everywhere....well 50 Norco Mtbs at least. These are NOT low cost
> Mtbs. I wondered IF we can get a few bents happening in the same community...perhaps the same
> sales numbers will follow.
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>>
>>>...IF there is any one segment of society who would be more inclined to
>>
> go Bent,
>
>>>IMHO it would be this gay community. I ride through 5 distinct/unique communities daily but it is
>>>the gay community that has shown the
>>
> greatest
>
>>>interest in what I ride....
>>
>>I have had complete strangers call me a "****ing queer", ****ing ****", and other similar crude
>>epithets. The common factor in all these encounters was that I was riding a recumbent bicycle. I
>>wonder how men that actually are homosexual would react to this experience?
>>
>>Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

"Petra Hofmann" skrev...
> What I can't stand is the sight of straight people, especially straight men, on uprights! It is
> the most throughly disgusting sight I've ever seen. No Straight males should be allowed to own a
> conventional bike. If this were to happen then we would not be subject to such an idiotic post as
> the previous two.

So gay men on uprights and straight men on bents. (with the possible exception of Optima Barons)
Makes perfect sense. ;-)

Try having a bike that the proud builders called "Evita" btw. Complete with a little heart as a dot
over the "i". After the first five "gay bike"-comments I scraped the name off. (also in part because
the frame was in need of paint)

Mikael Straight on bents.

Richard Shieldhouse wrote:

> Rear pockets on a jersey are useless. Do you want a cell phone and keys digging into your back on
> a recumbent?

While the middle pocket is of little practical use, the outer two may still retain some utility,
depending on the width of your bike's seat. I have often carried cleat covers therein, and once did
a 200 km overnight ride with a small Maglite in a back pocket - it was easily accessible and useful
for pointing at signposts. Just don't try to carry bananas back there...

I still have padded shorts, and, indeed, longs, because I sometimes ride an upright bike and am too
much of a Yorkshireman[1] to shell out for separate pairs of kecks for different bikes.

1 - Yorkshireman: Scotsman with generosity surgically removed.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Sounds like a plan. P

Mikael Seierup wrote:
> "Petra Hofmann" skrev...
>
>>What I can't stand is the sight of straight people, especially straight men, on uprights! It is
>>the most throughly disgusting sight I've ever seen. No Straight males should be allowed to own a
>>conventional bike. If this were to happen then we would not be subject to such an idiotic post as
>>the previous two.
>

> So gay men on uprights and straight men on bents. (with the possible exception of Optima Barons)
> Makes perfect sense. ;-)
>
> Try having a bike that the proud builders called "Evita" btw. Complete with a little heart as a
> dot over the "i". After the first five "gay bike"-comments I scraped the name off. (also in part
> because the frame was in need of paint)
>
> Mikael Straight on bents.

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:10:56 +0100, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:

I recently bought a new Lightning Thunderbolt from the factory. When I went up to look at em, and
ride the bike, it was somewhere between a pink and a purple color. Le Quan claimed it was hers. It
rode like a charm, but despite not having a homophobic thought in my mind at all... I just couldn't
bring myself to buying that bike. I had em put me together a new one with a beautiful white frame
instead, with a black seat and that was that! Lightning's are the best in SWB's as far as I am
concerned. I highly recommend them. I have an Easy Racer, and it has its charms, but the Lightning
hauls *ss. http://www.lightningbikes.com

Cheers!

Don B. ~Try having a bike that the proud builders called "Evita" btw. ~Complete with a little heart
as a dot over the "i". ~After the first five "gay bike"-comments I scraped the name off. ~(also in
part because the frame was in need of paint) ~ ~Mikael ~Straight on bents.

Don B.

in article [email protected], Don Boring at [email protected] wrote
on 3/21/03 3:08 AM:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:10:56 +0100, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I recently bought a new Lightning Thunderbolt from the factory. When I went up to look at em, and
> ride the bike, it was somewhere between a pink and a purple color. Le Quan claimed it was hers. It
> rode like a charm, but despite not having a homophobic thought in my mind at all... I just
> couldn't bring myself to buying that bike. I had em put me together a new one with a beautiful
> white frame instead, with a black seat and that was that! Lightning's are the best in SWB's as far
> as I am concerned. I highly recommend them. I have an Easy Racer, and it has its charms, but the
> Lightning hauls *ss. http://www.lightningbikes.com
>
> Cheers!
>
> Don B. ~Try having a bike that the proud builders called "Evita" btw. ~Complete with a little
> heart as a dot over the "i". ~After the first five "gay bike"-comments I scraped the name off.
> ~(also in part because the frame was in need of paint) ~ ~Mikael ~Straight on bents.
>
> Don B.

I hope that you were trying for humour. <shakes head>

Jay<-- could be straight, gay or a two headed lemur- but rides bents

>>> "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote: Jay<-- could be straight, gay or a two headed lemur- but
>>> rides bents

>> "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote: Jay, you just HAD to bring up the lemur thing, didn't
>> you? ;-)

> [email protected] wrote: Ring tailed lemur's are my favorite at the zoo. They're so cool :)

<bats eyelashes in a dainty manner> Why thank you! Two heads are better than one!

Jay <[email protected]> wrote in news:BAA11E79.681D%[email protected]:

>>> "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote: Jay, you just HAD to bring up the lemur thing, didn't
>>> you? ;-)
>
>> [email protected] wrote: Ring tailed lemur's are my favorite at the zoo. They're so cool :)
>
> <bats eyelashes in a dainty manner> Why thank you! Two heads are better than one!

I'd like to say that I support equal rights for lemurs, who should be afforded the same rights and
courtesies as any other lifeform. The Ghost Lemurs of Madagascar are called the Old Men of the
Forest and the Spirits of the Ancestors by indigenous people.

rorschandt "education through learning"

rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>>> [email protected] wrote: Ring tailed lemur's are my favorite at the zoo. They're so cool :)
>>
>> <bats eyelashes in a dainty manner> Why thank you! Two heads are better than one!
>>

> I'd like to say that I support equal rights for lemurs, who should be afforded the same rights and
> courtesies as any other lifeform. The Ghost Lemurs of Madagascar are called the Old Men of the
> Forest and the Spirits of the Ancestors by indigenous people.
>
> rorschandt "education through learning"

My wife has been known to call me a prosimian! (before monkeys)

> I still have padded shorts, and, indeed, longs, because I sometimes ride an upright bike and am
> too much of a Yorkshireman[1] to shell out for separate pairs of kecks for different bikes.

We have bee's in Canada which is why I wear my lycra most of the time.

> 1 - Yorkshireman: Scotsman with generosity surgically removed.

Isn't that the same accent as the Scots anyways :) BTW are all Yorkshiremen, Street fans?

Brian 01 Rocket

MLB <[email protected]> wrote:

: Ring tailed lemur's are my favorite at the zoo. They're so cool :)

What colour of bike should one ride if one likes ring tailed lemurs?

Varis Bent pride

[email protected] wrote in news:b5i48i$ah3$2 @oravannahka.helsinki.fi:

> MLB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>: Ring tailed lemur's are my favorite at the zoo. They're so cool :)
>
> What colour of bike should one ride if one likes ring tailed lemurs?
>
> Varis Bent pride

Try as I might, I can't think of a single humerous color to insert here. Of course it would have the
rings around the rear frame.