Bicycling through Camp Pendleton

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Steve Maas, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Steve Maas

    Steve Maas Guest

    Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base south of
    San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway through the base?

    Tags:

  2. Carl Ebert

    Carl Ebert Guest

    You need a military ID card to ride through the base or some one in your group who does.

    --
    -------------
    Thou shalt use thine scraps to makes quilts for charity, so that those less fortunate may know they
    joy of sleeping beneath a quilt. "Steve Maas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base
    > south of San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway
    > through the base?

  3. Steve,

    Three years ago they required cyclists to have helmets to ride through the base. We didn't have
    helmets, but they let us WALK through the base (and MP checked on us twice), but I don't know about
    now (a lot of things had changed since). Later we were told, that we could also use the Highway to
    bypass the Camp and Police is tolerating cyclist on this one piece, if the road through the Camp is
    closed to them. Walk through the camp (~9miles) was actually very nice and somehow different.

    "Steve Maas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base
    > south of San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway
    > through the base?

  4. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:02:16 GMT, Steve Maas
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base
    >south of San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway
    >through the base?

    If you have US military ID you will be allowed to bicycle through Camp Pendleton. All other bicycle
    riders must use the I-5 freeway from Harbor Blvd. to Las Pulgas Road.

    No other bicycle alternatives exist to bypass the base.

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Gerry wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:02:16 GMT, Steve Maas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base
    >> south of San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway
    >> through the base?
    >
    > If you have US military ID you will be allowed to bicycle through Camp Pendleton. All other
    > bicycle riders must use the I-5 freeway from Harbor Blvd. to Las Pulgas Road.
    >
    > No other bicycle alternatives exist to bypass the base.

    Is this new, because of wartime security measures, etc? In the past, access was allowed on and off,
    mostly on.

    Matt O.

  6. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:31:53 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Is this new, because of wartime security measures, etc? In the past, access was allowed on and off,
    >mostly on.

    Due to security concerns since 9/11, the US Marines in their infinite wisdom have determined that
    the number of bomb carrying bicyclists is too high so have decided to close the base to bicyclists
    passing through Camp Pendleton.

    Even the Amtark Century ride put on by the Orange County Wheelmen for the past 30 years has been
    forced to detour for the last 2 years.

  7. Ruddock

    Ruddock Guest

    "Due to security concerns since 9/11, the US Marines in their infinite wisdom have determined that
    the number of bomb carrying bicyclists is too high so have decided to close the base to bicyclists
    passing through Camp Pendleton."

    Actually, it is more about controlling access than the number of "bomb carrying bicyclists." A
    bicyclist could easily be used for intelligence gathering, (such as determining placement of
    equipment, troop training facilities, etc.

    Also, a bicycle is a fine medium for carrying some of today's explosives, which are lightweight and
    pliable, and could easily be stuffed into tubing, forks, seatposts, etc.

    So, the Marine Corps actually has displayed wisdom. Sorry if national security hinders your
    recreation.

  8. [email protected] (Gerry) wrote in news:401bdb17.2120357
    @news.west.earthlink.net:

    > If you have US military ID you will be allowed to bicycle through Camp Pendleton. All other
    > bicycle riders must use the I-5 freeway from Harbor Blvd. to Las Pulgas Road.

    > No other bicycle alternatives exist to bypass the base.

    I've done it both ways. Although less scenic, the shoulders along I-5 are easily 10 feet wide and
    usually clean of debris. the only concession you might like to make are ear plugs to lessen
    traffic noise.

    <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><