Bicycling through Camp Pendleton

Steve Maas

Guest
Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base south of
San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway through the base?

You need a military ID card to ride through the base or some one in your group who does.

--
-------------
Thou shalt use thine scraps to makes quilts for charity, so that those less fortunate may know they
joy of sleeping beneath a quilt. "Steve Maas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base
> south of San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway
> through the base?

Steve,

Three years ago they required cyclists to have helmets to ride through the base. We didn't have
helmets, but they let us WALK through the base (and MP checked on us twice), but I don't know about
now (a lot of things had changed since). Later we were told, that we could also use the Highway to
bypass the Camp and Police is tolerating cyclist on this one piece, if the road through the Camp is
closed to them. Walk through the camp (~9miles) was actually very nice and somehow different.

"Steve Maas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base
> south of San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway
> through the base?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:02:16 GMT, Steve Maas
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base
>south of San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway
>through the base?

If you have US military ID you will be allowed to bicycle through Camp Pendleton. All other bicycle
riders must use the I-5 freeway from Harbor Blvd. to Las Pulgas Road.

No other bicycle alternatives exist to bypass the base.

Gerry wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:02:16 GMT, Steve Maas <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if it is still possible to bicycle through Camp Pendleton, the marine base
>> south of San Clemente, California? If not, is there any alternative to riding the freeway
>> through the base?
>
> If you have US military ID you will be allowed to bicycle through Camp Pendleton. All other
> bicycle riders must use the I-5 freeway from Harbor Blvd. to Las Pulgas Road.
>
> No other bicycle alternatives exist to bypass the base.

Is this new, because of wartime security measures, etc? In the past, access was allowed on and off,
mostly on.

Matt O.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:31:53 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Is this new, because of wartime security measures, etc? In the past, access was allowed on and off,
>mostly on.

Due to security concerns since 9/11, the US Marines in their infinite wisdom have determined that
the number of bomb carrying bicyclists is too high so have decided to close the base to bicyclists
passing through Camp Pendleton.

Even the Amtark Century ride put on by the Orange County Wheelmen for the past 30 years has been
forced to detour for the last 2 years.

"Due to security concerns since 9/11, the US Marines in their infinite wisdom have determined that
the number of bomb carrying bicyclists is too high so have decided to close the base to bicyclists
passing through Camp Pendleton."

Actually, it is more about controlling access than the number of "bomb carrying bicyclists." A
bicyclist could easily be used for intelligence gathering, (such as determining placement of
equipment, troop training facilities, etc.

Also, a bicycle is a fine medium for carrying some of today's explosives, which are lightweight and
pliable, and could easily be stuffed into tubing, forks, seatposts, etc.

So, the Marine Corps actually has displayed wisdom. Sorry if national security hinders your
recreation.

[email protected] (Gerry) wrote in news:401bdb17.2120357
@news.west.earthlink.net:

> If you have US military ID you will be allowed to bicycle through Camp Pendleton. All other
> bicycle riders must use the I-5 freeway from Harbor Blvd. to Las Pulgas Road.

> No other bicycle alternatives exist to bypass the base.

I've done it both ways. Although less scenic, the shoulders along I-5 are easily 10 feet wide and
usually clean of debris. the only concession you might like to make are ear plugs to lessen
traffic noise.

<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><