Bicyclist arrested for DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

schikerbiker

http://www.summitdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=SD&Date=20030123&Categ
ory=NEWS&ArtNo=301230107&Ref=AR

BRECKENRIDGE - A Summit County Sheriff's deputy arrested a man early Wednesday morning for drunken
bike-riding.

According to the deputy's report, he observed a man identified by a New Mexico driver's license as
Brodie Bell riding a bicycle north on Colorado Highway 9 near North Park Avenue just before 1 a.m.
The bike had no headlight. State law requires bike riders to have a light visible up to 500 feet
when riding at night.

The deputy noted in his report the bike rider was having difficulty staying upright. According to
the report, when the deputy turned on his overhead lights, the bike rider pedaled off on a footpath
east of the highway, according to the report, riding about 15 yards before falling over.

The deputy noted the smell of alcohol when he reached the crashed rider. Bell told the deputy he had
drank two beers, according to the report. Brodie performed roadside sobriety tests and failed, and
refused to take a chemical sobriety test, the deputy said. The deputy searched Brodie and reportedly
found a metal drug pipe.

The deputy arrested Brodie for driving under the influence and possession of drug paraphernalia and
took him to the Summit County Jail.

>BRECKENRIDGE - A Summit County Sheriff's deputy arrested a man early Wednesday morning for drunken
>bike-riding.

Cycling drunk is not uncommon. I think there was a study a couple of years ago that said that
something like 30% of cyclists involved in accidents were intoxicated.

Of course that does not mean 30% of cyclist are intoxicated, but it is a surprising statistic.

One factor to consider is that some people are riding bicycles because they have lot their drivers
license due to alcohol related problems.

Jon Isaacs

[email protected] wrote:
: The deputy noted in his report the bike rider was having difficulty staying upright. According to
: the report, when the deputy turned on his overhead

Mark the words. _Upright_ it says. Combine that with the fact of 30% drunken cyclists, and you get
why tricycles are so popular these days ;p

It also means there's huge growth potential...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

On 07 Feb 2003 13:55:55 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

>One factor to consider is that some people are riding bicycles because they have lot their drivers
>license due to alcohol related problems.

Another is that most of the danger they pose is to themselves.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> http://www.summitdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=SD&Date=20030123&Categ
> ory=NEWS&ArtNo=301230107&Ref=AR
>
> BRECKENRIDGE - A Summit County Sheriff's deputy arrested a man early Wednesday morning for drunken
> bike-riding.
>
> According to the deputy's report, he observed a man identified by a New Mexico driver's license as
> Brodie Bell riding a bicycle north on Colorado Highway 9 near North Park Avenue just before 1 a.m.
> The bike had no headlight. State law requires bike riders to have a light visible up to 500 feet
> when riding at night.
>
> The deputy noted in his report the bike rider was having difficulty staying upright. According to
> the report, when the deputy turned on his overhead lights, the bike rider pedaled off on a
> footpath east of the highway, according to the report, riding about 15 yards before falling over.
>
> The deputy noted the smell of alcohol when he reached the crashed rider. Bell told the deputy he
> had drank two beers, according to the report. Brodie performed roadside sobriety tests and failed,
> and refused to take a chemical sobriety test, the deputy said. The deputy searched Brodie and
> reportedly found a metal drug pipe.
>
> The deputy arrested Brodie for driving under the influence and possession of drug paraphernalia
> and took him to the Summit County Jail.
>
>
>

Brodie Bell? Are you kidding me, sure his name wasn't Turner Bontrager?
--

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 07 Feb 2003 13:55:55 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:
>
> >One factor to consider is that some people are riding bicycles because
they
> >have lot their drivers license due to alcohol related problems.
>
> Another is that most of the danger they pose is to themselves.
>

Not that I buy this, but I received a response to this statement once that suggested that there is a
chance that you could endanger someone emotionally by being the victim that they killed because of
your (not you!) stupid behavior. So, apparently, if you are willing to risk your own life, you are
hurting someone else.

Now we need laws to protect citizens emotional state.

Robin Hubert

In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On 07 Feb 2003 13:55:55 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:
>
>>One factor to consider is that some people are riding bicycles because they have lot their drivers
>>license due to alcohol related problems.
>
>Another is that most of the danger they pose is to themselves.

Oh yeah, an unlit "lit" cyclist wandering out into traffic at night on a highway only endangers
himself. Wow. Think about that for a minute. Now think about a dozen cars hitting the brakes and a
53 foot trailer coming up from behind at 60 mph. Nuff.

OK now who wants to lay odds on whether Brodie has a mullet?

--Paul

A person can get arested for walking around in public drunk. I don't think you can lose your licence
for riding a bicycle drunk, but you never know. I guess someday if you are found drunk anywhere
including your home you can lose your license. There's so much intolerance these days.

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
http://www.summitdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=SD&Date=20030123&Categ
>
> BRECKENRIDGE - A Summit County Sheriff's deputy arrested a man early Wednesday morning for drunken
> bike-riding.
>
> According to the deputy's report, he observed a man identified by a New Mexico driver's license as
> Brodie Bell riding a bicycle north on Colorado Highway 9 near North Park Avenue just before 1 a.m.
> The bike had no headlight. State law requires bike riders to have a light visible up to
> feet when riding at night.
>
> The deputy noted in his report the bike rider was having difficulty
staying
> upright. According to the report, when the deputy turned on his overhead lights, the bike rider
> pedaled off on a footpath east of the highway, according to the report, riding about 15 yards
> before falling over.
>
> The deputy noted the smell of alcohol when he reached the crashed rider. Bell told the deputy he
> had drank two beers, according to the report.
Brodie
> performed roadside sobriety tests and failed, and refused to take a
chemical
> sobriety test, the deputy said. The deputy searched Brodie and reportedly found a metal drug pipe.
>
> The deputy arrested Brodie for driving under the influence and possession
of
> drug paraphernalia and took him to the Summit County Jail.

I know I've ridden my bike home from bars so drunk I couldn't stand up straight. Then again, I did a
lot of stupid things when I was in college...

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >BRECKENRIDGE - A Summit County Sheriff's deputy arrested a man early Wednesday morning for
> >drunken bike-riding.
>
> Cycling drunk is not uncommon. I think there was a study a couple of
years ago
> that said that something like 30% of cyclists involved in accidents were intoxicated.
>
> Of course that does not mean 30% of cyclist are intoxicated, but it is a surprising statistic.
>
> One factor to consider is that some people are riding bicycles because
they
> have lot their drivers license due to alcohol related problems.
>
> Jon Isaacs

So what?

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
http://www.summitdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=SD&Date=20030123&Cate g
>
> bike-riding.
>
> The bike had no headlight. State law requires bike riders to have a light visible up to
>
staying
> upright. According to the report, when the deputy turned on his overhead lights, the bike rider
> pedaled off on a footpath east of the highway, according to the report, riding about 15 yards
> before falling over.
>
Brodie
chemical
> sobriety test, the deputy said. The deputy searched Brodie and reportedly found a metal drug pipe.
>
of

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >BRECKENRIDGE - A Summit County Sheriff's deputy arrested
a man early
> >Wednesday morning for drunken bike-riding.
>
> Cycling drunk is not uncommon. I think there was a study
a couple of years ago
> that said that something like 30% of cyclists involved in
accidents were
> intoxicated.
>
> Of course that does not mean 30% of cyclist are
intoxicated, but it is a
> surprising statistic.
>
> One factor to consider is that some people are riding
bicycles because they
> have lot their drivers license due to alcohol related
problems.

Go down to Newport/Huntington Beach on a weekend night, and I bet you 70% of the cyclists *are*
intoxicated!

Matt O.

FWIW, I've had some scary close calls with bicyclists without lights in and around Breckenridge, so
I can't sympathize too much with this particular cyclist. I've also watched Summit County Sheriff's
deputies pull motorists over for passing cyclists too closely, so it hardly seems fair to me to
accuse them of harassing bicyclists. Summit County is about as bicycle friendly an environment as
can be found in the US, and the local law enforcement people seem to apply the laws equally to
bicyclists and motorists.
--
mark <[email protected]> wrote
> bike-riding.
>
>
staying
> before falling over.
>
Brodie
chemical
>
of

The state where I live, Florida, classifies bicycles as vehicles.....same roads, same rights,
same rules.

In article <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] wrote:
>: The deputy noted in his report the bike rider was having difficulty staying upright. According to
>: the report, when the deputy turned on his overhead
>
>Mark the words. _Upright_ it says.

Why is it that riding a bike while drunk is relatively easy, but riding a unicycle is almost
impossible?

--
--
LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.