Bicyclist falls victim to a RAV

Gooserider wrote:
> "Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1423126.html

> The story says he died from "severe trauma" but the reporter parses
> things to make it sound like this was a "random act of violence".
> Judging by the time of night this happened, and Minnesotans love of
> alcohol, I'd say he was hit by a drunk who fled the scene. Not a good
> thing at all, but not exactly a random act of violence.

Was there any evidence of a vehicle being involved? IDSTR seeing that.

On Sep 16, 3:58 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gooserider wrote:
> > "Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1423126.html

> > The story says he died from "severe trauma" but the reporter parses
> > things to make it sound like this was a "random act of violence".
> > Judging by the time of night this happened, and Minnesotans love of
> > alcohol, I'd say he was hit by a drunk who fled the scene. Not a good
> > thing at all, but not exactly a random act of violence.

> Was there any evidence of a vehicle being involved? IDSTR seeing that.

There's no mention of any vehicle. The way they report several blunt
traumas to the head sounds more like a beating with an object or
having his head bashed into the pavement repeatedly. It's not really
cycling related other than the victim being an avid cyclist and
someone I can relate too fairly closely.

"Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 16, 3:58 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Gooserider wrote:
>> > "Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> > The story says he died from "severe trauma" but the reporter parses
>> > things to make it sound like this was a "random act of violence".
>> > Judging by the time of night this happened, and Minnesotans love of
>> > alcohol, I'd say he was hit by a drunk who fled the scene. Not a good
>> > thing at all, but not exactly a random act of violence.

>> Was there any evidence of a vehicle being involved? IDSTR seeing that.

> There's no mention of any vehicle. The way they report several blunt
> traumas to the head sounds more like a beating with an object or
> having his head bashed into the pavement repeatedly. It's not really
> cycling related other than the victim being an avid cyclist and
> someone I can relate too fairly closely.

Now it makes more sense:

http://wcco.com/local/local_story_257202801.html

The neighborhood Loesch was found has had other recent incidents of
violence. Ron Edwards, co-chairman of the Police Community Relations
Council, said 3 African-American teens were victims of gunshot wounds on the
same day Loesch was found.

Evidently not a nice neighborhood. I'm not familiar with Minneapolis---is
this an area that's undergoing "urban renewal"? Minneapolis isn't a city I
expect to suffer from this kind of violence, but I guess it is. The three
teens who died from gunshot wounds were most likely drug or gang
related---three in one day is pretty suspicious. Being beaten to death is
pretty unusual.

On Sep 16, 10:34 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sir Thomas of Cannondale" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:c09Hi.2888$Ap2.2863@trndny05...
>
> > "Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1423126.html

> > Too bad he didn't carry a gun. Yes,, a gun.

> > A little pee shooter, maybe a 22, something small.

> > When the mugger said "give me your money" he could have killed the
> > *******.

> Well, duh. Of course. But even pepper spray would help.

Pfffft! Gubs are the answer to everything! Muggers, nagging wives,
stuck pickle jars, unholed donuts--you name it, you can gub it!

On Sep 16, 10:34 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Was there any evidence of a vehicle being involved? IDSTR seeing that.

> > There's no mention of any vehicle. The way they report several blunt
> > traumas to the head sounds more like a beating with an object or
> > having his head bashed into the pavement repeatedly. It's not really
> > cycling related other than the victim being an avid cyclist and
> > someone I can relate too fairly closely.

> Now it makes more sense:
>
> http://wcco.com/local/local_story_257202801.html
>
> The neighborhood Loesch was found has had other recent incidents of
> violence. Ron Edwards, co-chairman of the Police Community Relations
> Council, said 3 African-American teens were victims of gunshot wounds on the
> same day Loesch was found.
>
> Evidently not a nice neighborhood. I'm not familiar with Minneapolis---is
> this an area that's undergoing "urban renewal"? Minneapolis isn't a city I
> expect to suffer from this kind of violence, but I guess it is. The three
> teens who died from gunshot wounds were most likely drug or gang
> related---three in one day is pretty suspicious. Being beaten to death is
> pretty unusual.

I'm 15 and I happen to live in Minneapolis and I bike all around
during the day but I'm pretty cautious if I bike during the night, I
usally just stay within my neighborhood...

On Sep 16, 10:34 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Minneapolis isn't a city I
> expect to suffer from this kind of violence, but I guess it is.

It has gotten better, but it wasn't that many years ago when many
locals called it "Murderapolis."

Austin

On Sep 16, 12:53 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pfffft! Gubs are the answer to everything! Muggers, nagging wives,
> stuck pickle jars, unholed donuts--you name it, you can gub it!

Will a gub clean the grit out of my bottom bracket?

Austin

On Sep 16, 10:34 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Evidently not a nice neighborhood. I'm not familiar with Minneapolis---is
> this an area that's undergoing "urban renewal"? Minneapolis isn't a city I
> expect to suffer from this kind of violence, but I guess it is. The three
> teens who died from gunshot wounds were most likely drug or gang
> related---three in one day is pretty suspicious. Being beaten to death is
> pretty unusual.

South Minneapolis has gotten safer over the past decade. Some of the
crime moved to North Minneapolis but with any urban area there are
pockets that are worse than others and obviously neighborhoods aren't
that far apart.

On Sep 17, 11:18 am, AustinMN <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 10:34 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Minneapolis isn't a city I
> > expect to suffer from this kind of violence, but I guess it is.

> It has gotten better, but it wasn't that many years ago when many
> locals called it "Murderapolis."
>
> Austin

I think the murder rate this year is on track for 50, which would be
1/2 of what it was then