Bicyclist fatally beaten in suspected road rage

aeiouy

Guest
Sad

Posted on: Saturday, September 2, 2006
Bicyclist fatally beaten in suspected road rage

By Curtis Lum
Advertiser Staff Writer

WAI'ANAE - An apparent road rage incident turned deadly last night when a
bicyclist was savagely beaten to death by three men in front of a
convenience store, police said.

The victim was a 47-year-old Wai'anae man who was attacked in the parking
lot of the Wai'anae Market on Farrington Highway shortly before 6:30 p.m.,
police said.

The man was taken to the Wai'anae Coast Comprehensive Health Center, where
he was pronounced dead. His name was not released.

Police were searching for three suspects last night. Police said they
believe they know the identity of one suspect, a man in his 20s.

The bicyclist got into a traffic altercation with some men in a car at the
Wai'anae McDonald's, police said. After the argument, the bicyclist went to
the Wai-'anae Market, about 100 yards away, said Lt. Dagan Tsuchida.

A witness, who would not give her name because she was fearful, said she saw
the victim with his girlfriend outside the market. A white Ford sedan pulled
into the lot and three men jumped out, she said. They swore at victim's
girlfriend, threw her to the ground and attacked the man, the witness said.

She said another man stayed in the car during the attack, which lasted about
five minutes.

"They kept stomping him on the head and kicking him," she said. "He was
unconscious for most of it. That's what didn't make sense."

The sound of the man's head hitting the pavement "is something that I'll
never forget," she said. "I've never seen damage to a human body like that."

The men then sped away in the car, she said.

The witness said the man was alive after the attack but had stopped
breathing by the time the ambulance arrived.

Reach Curtis Lum at [email protected].

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060902/NEWS06/609020312/1001

aeiouy wrote:
> Sad
>
> **********************************************************************************
>
> Posted on: Saturday, September 2, 2006
> Bicyclist fatally beaten in suspected road rage
>

> By Curtis Lum
> Advertiser Staff Writer
>

> WAI'ANAE - An apparent road rage incident turned deadly last night when a
> bicyclist was savagely beaten to death by three men in front of a
> convenience store, police said.
>
> The victim was a 47-year-old Wai'anae man who was attacked in the parking
> lot of the Wai'anae Market on Farrington Highway shortly before 6:30 p.m.,
> police said.
>
> The man was taken to the Wai'anae Coast Comprehensive Health Center, where
> he was pronounced dead. His name was not released.
>
> Police were searching for three suspects last night. Police said they
> believe they know the identity of one suspect, a man in his 20s.
>
> The bicyclist got into a traffic altercation with some men in a car at the
> Wai'anae McDonald's, police said. After the argument, the bicyclist went to
> the Wai-'anae Market, about 100 yards away, said Lt. Dagan Tsuchida.
>
> A witness, who would not give her name because she was fearful, said she saw
> the victim with his girlfriend outside the market. A white Ford sedan pulled
> into the lot and three men jumped out, she said. They swore at victim's
> girlfriend, threw her to the ground and attacked the man, the witness said.
>
> She said another man stayed in the car during the attack, which lasted about
> five minutes.
>
> "They kept stomping him on the head and kicking him," she said. "He was
> unconscious for most of it. That's what didn't make sense."
>
> The sound of the man's head hitting the pavement "is something that I'll
> never forget," she said. "I've never seen damage to a human body like that."
>
> The men then sped away in the car, she said.
>
> The witness said the man was alive after the attack but had stopped
> breathing by the time the ambulance arrived.
>
> Reach Curtis Lum at [email protected].
>

> http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060902/NEWS06/609020312/1001

Sounds like each of the 3 should be charged with 2 counts of aggrevated
assault and one count of manslaughter. If the 4th was the driver, count
him in on a conspiracy charge.

This certainly makes me want to travel to Hawaii. Not.
I hope that their DA office handles this case appropriately.

How much distance from the scene, time must elapse for this to not be
considered "road rage"?
What is the difference in charges if it is considered to be "road
rage"?
It still sounds to me as if if was a conscious action by the group of
attackers to pursue the victims away from the original incident scene.
Throw in a count of conspiracy for each just in case - which could be
reduced if any of the atackers are smart enough to take a plea bargain.

double up on your bear repellant (pepper spray).

-bdbafh

[email protected] wrote:

> Sounds like each of the 3 should be charged with 2 counts of aggrevated
> assault and one count of manslaughter.

Why manslaughter? Why not murder?

Bill

| Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, |
| and I'm not sure about the former. |
| -Albert Einstein |

> [...]

> Sounds like each of the 3 should be charged with 2 counts of aggrevated
> assault and one count of manslaughter. If the 4th was the driver, count
> him in on a conspiracy charge.
>
> This certainly makes me want to travel to Hawaii. Not.
> I hope that their DA office handles this case appropriately.
>
> How much distance from the scene, time must elapse for this to not be
> considered "road rage"?
> What is the difference in charges if it is considered to be "road
> rage"?
> It still sounds to me as if if was a conscious action by the group of
> attackers to pursue the victims away from the original incident scene.
> Throw in a count of conspiracy for each just in case - which could be
> reduced if any of the atackers are smart enough to take a plea bargain.
>
> double up on your bear repellant (pepper spray).

It sounds like a case for murder to me, maybe even premeditated since
they followed him to another store. Beating him until he hit the ground
would make for 3 counts of aggravated assault, continuing to kick him in
the head for five minutes means they damn well wanted to kill him.
Second degree murder, at the least, I would hope. With just an assault
charge these assholes could get off with probation if it is a first
offense. The only reason I mention this is because I have seen similar
incidents where a killer gets a slap on the wrist and some poor guy
smoking a joint gets 8 years.
Justice is rarely applied properly.
Bill Baka

I think I have yet to hear when justice is applied appropriately to those
who injure or kill cyclists.

I think we'd be lucky if we were considered second class citizens.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

news:69FKg.15071$%[email protected]...

On 2006-09-03, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

> Sounds like each of the 3 should be charged with 2 counts of aggrevated
> assault and one count of manslaughter. If the 4th was the driver, count
> him in on a conspiracy charge.
>
> This certainly makes me want to travel to Hawaii. Not.
> I hope that their DA office handles this case appropriately.
>
> How much distance from the scene, time must elapse for this to not be
> considered "road rage"?
> What is the difference in charges if it is considered to be "road
> rage"?
> It still sounds to me as if if was a conscious action by the group of
> attackers to pursue the victims away from the original incident scene.
> Throw in a count of conspiracy for each just in case - which could be
> reduced if any of the atackers are smart enough to take a plea bargain.
>
> double up on your bear repellant (pepper spray).

That's one more reason I always have a "Buck" brand bicycle *tool* on my
side when riding. There are always wild animals around. Sometimes you
need the correct tool to deal with them. BTW, in my state it is legal to
carry tools, but you get in trouble carrying weapons.

"oldhickory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I think I have yet to hear when justice is applied appropriately to those
>who injure or kill cyclists.
>
> I think we'd be lucky if we were considered second class citizens.

I imagine the cyclist who collided with and killed a pedestrian in Australia
last week, and then was charged only with running a red light, is happy to
be considered a second-class citizen.

RichC