Bicyclist found guilty of blocking traffic

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 06:47:08 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, SC Hiker Biker
<[email protected]> wrote:

> yea I agree. I was warned from friends in bicycling.com forum that posting in here wasn't a wise
> idea. I am beginning to see why.

if they're all as poorly informed as you are, it's understandable.

"SC Hiker Biker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dennis P. Harris wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:42:47 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, SC Hiker Biker
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>It's bad judgment to mass ride in such conditions especially for their safety. Simply bad. Stop
> >>making excuses for it.

You have the ability to judge the safety of a situation from hundreds or thousands of miles away at
a different time than its occurrence? Pretty cool.

> > no, it's the cops that need the excuse for stopping a legally riding cyclist.
>
> No, you are assuming he was riding legally.

You are correct here.

> You don't know the facts.

However even though you act like it, you don't know them either.

> But it is bad judgment. But I can see this ng is full of kooks and such. Maybe I should go back to
> the bicycling forum at bicycling.com at least they aren't kooks.

Calling people names instantly reduces ones credibility. Why? Because you have demonstrated
abandonment of rationality.

> > it's not bad judgement at all. it's high time that drivers got used to seeing groups of folks
> > riding on *every* highway where they're legal. it's also high time that cagers get used to
> > following the law regarding only passing when it's safe.
>
> The law also states that if a 5 car backup or more exist, you pull over. It seems you ignore that
> part of Arizona law. Do you behave like this when a bicyclist is breaking the law by running stop
> signs, not giving hand signals etc?

You missed the part where the 5 cars clause pertained to 2 lane roads.

> Surely you can show me some of your postings condmening this illegal bicycle behavior. Again, it's
> called courtesy. But I was warned that this ng was full of kooks.
>
> Back to the Bicycling forums at bicycling.com for me.

"SC Hiker Biker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> yea I agree. I was warned from friends in bicycling.com forum that posting in here wasn't a wise
> idea. I am beginning to see why.
>
> I think I am just going to post on bicycling.com board.

The only way to diminish the insanity is to add to the sanity. Don't give up so easily.

Matt O.

Dennis P. Harris wrote:
>boy, are you obtuse! it isn't a "political statement", it's obviously a cycling rights case.

That is a political statement.

SC Hiker Biker wrote:
>Which looks like a set up where he did this on purpose. It is exactly a political statement. You
>don't hire lawyers to fight a 50 dollar fine.

Agreed. You don't do it for just the fine. People fight for their rights all the time. Larry Flynt
spent a lot more than $250,000 to avoid paying that amount to Jerry Falwell because he was fighting
for his right to free speech. BTW, that's a good thing. We should fight for our rights when people
or the government try to take them away.

Assuming that this cyclist was riding legally (I still can't tell) then I'm on his side.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:27:05 -0900, <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

>> Back to the Bicycling forums at bicycling.com for me.
>
>don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!

I love Usenet. Only the strong survive.
--
zk

"Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Robin Hubert" [email protected]
>
> wrote:
>
> >Yeah, Bob, but if someone's blocking one lane of 4, how is that "blocking traffic"?
>
> Let's say there is a heavily-travelled four lane E-W road, two lanes EB
and two
> WB. The speed limit is 40 mph. If I drive a car at 8 mph in one of the WB lanes, am I blocking
> traffic?

I don't think so. Slowing down traffic a bit, maybe, though that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Actually, traffic wouldn't be interfered with if automotists actually expected this kind of thing.
It would be a total reversal of the all-too-common misuse of the slow lanes as passing lanes by
way too many idiots.

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing alot of that, with bicycles, horse-drawn carriages (Segue - sp?),
and the like. Their's room for all of us.

Robin Hubert

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:30:30 GMT, "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote:

>In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing alot of that, with bicycles, horse-drawn carriages (Segue - sp?),
>and the like. Their's room for all of us.

Actually, this is a tragedy played out too often in Pennsylvania Dutch country where car and
horse-drawn vehicles share the road.

Ben

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:58:20 GMT, <[email protected]>, Ben Kaufman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:30:30 GMT, "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing alot of that, with bicycles, horse-drawn carriages (Segue - sp?),
>>and the like. Their's room for all of us.
>
>Actually, this is a tragedy played out too often in Pennsylvania Dutch country where car and
>horse-drawn vehicles share the road.
>
>Ben

It's a failure, on the part of drivers, to share the road.
--
zk

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't think so. Slowing down traffic a bit, maybe, though that wouldn't be a bad thing.
> Actually, traffic wouldn't be interfered with if automotists actually expected this kind of thing.
> It would be a total reversal of the all-too-common misuse of the slow lanes as passing lanes
by
> way too many idiots.

You are dealing with two issues here. The original question didn't specify in *which* westbound lane
he would be driving slowly. If he is in the left lane, commonly referred to as the passing lane,
then he might be blocking the flow of traffic, causing people to pass on the right.

Also, note that it is not necessarily illegal to pass on the right. It partially depends on the type
of road and definitely depends on local law. It makes sense that on a four lane undivided road you
can pass someone on the right if they are slowing or stopped to turn left.

In Texas, you are even legally allowed to use an improved shoulder to pass on the right if it is a
two lane road (one lane each direction) and someone has stopped to turn left. As we scale up in road
size, it still remains legal in residential, multilane uncontrolled access and multilane freeways.
The exception is some counties and municipalities where it is expressly prohibited. You will find a
section of I-35 north of San Antonio where the freeway is marked by signs that indicate that slower
traffic must keep right. It is the only place in the state where I have seen such signs.

All of this, of course, follows to common sense and is advantageous to cyclists. On my old commute,
I had at least two spots where I needed to turn left and only one was at a light. The other was a
four lane road and I was turning at an uncontrolled intersection onto a two lane road. If no one
could pass on the right, then all traffic in my direction would have needed to stop to keep from
passing me on the right while I turned left. Now that's what I call blocking traffic!

-Buck

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It's a failure, on the part of drivers, to share the road.

Depends upon visibility. I almost hit a tractor and trailer loaded with hay one time.

The driver pulled out onto a road with a 55 mph speed limit at a point just past the crest of a
hill. Luckily I was only doing about 50, or I couldn't have slowed down in time.

You are too quick to jump to conclusions when little or no information is available to you.

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:50:27 -0600 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > It's a failure, on the part of drivers, to share the road.
>
> Depends upon visibility. I almost hit a tractor and trailer loaded with hay one time.
>
> The driver pulled out onto a road with a 55 mph speed limit at a point just past the crest of a
> hill. Luckily I was only doing about 50, or I couldn't have slowed down in time.

which means that anyone driving the speed limit at that spot is driving too fast for conditions. the
driver is always responsible for driving at a speed that she or he has adequate distance to stop,
which means that if your vision is obscured, you should drive slow enough that you can stop when a
hazard becomes visible.

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 01:56:04 -0600, Hunrobe wrote:

>>Doug Kennedy [email protected]
>
> wrote in part:
>
>>His lawyer's argument was that there was both a median lane and a curb lane, and that the median
>>lane was clear for passing. Perhaps a four lane road with two lanes in each direction? If that was
>>the case, I think it would be fine for a group of 16 to take the curb lane and ride together,
>>rather than string out 16 long. As a car driver I'd rather cleanly pass the group in the median
>>lane, rather than squeeze by a long line of cyclists.
>
> If I understand what you're saying correctly, I must respectfully disagree. If the law says "no
> more than two abreast" and your hypothetical group in the median lane is riding four abreast then
> it is not okay no matter what any one person's opinion is. That's what a law means.

I should have said "LEGALLY ride together", as in two-abreast, 8 in a line. That's what I had in
mind. I forget this was USENET so I have to add "... and not violating any other laws" ;) The law is
there for a reason, more than two across doesn't leave much room for steering around potholes.

If there was a curb lane with enough space to allow cars to pass safely without leaving the lane,
then I would ride single file if there was a lot of traffic passing. Unfortunatly, where I live none
of the four lane streets in town are wide enough to consider this, even on recently widened roads :(

If the group in question was riding as a "clump" (I've seen this on club rides of people who should
know better, 4+ abreast) then they could have been ticketed with violating the two-abreast law, if
they have that in their state. Maybe that explains why only certain members of the group were
ticketed? Perhaps they were the ones on the outside of the lane and/or impinging on the other lane?
I've seen this firsthand at the start of rides, people chit-chat and double, then triple, then
quadruple up, even to the point of going into the other lane in the face of oncoming traffic. It's
an accident waiting to happen and these folks get griped at. I hang waaay back by myself and wait
for the pace to quicken and thin the herd.

> Contrary to what R. Hardin thinks, laws aren't enacted solely to make people rigidly conform
> merely for the sake of conformity. They substitute our collective judgement for the judgement of
> the individual. For example, if a stretch of roadway carries an inordinate amount of traffic and
> there is a law on the books against impeding traffic then it's perfectly reasonable to
> emphatically enforce that law on that road. Some road users may disobey that law because they
> value *their* judgement more than the collective judgement of those that monitor roadway
> conditions and those that pass laws based on that collective judgement. When they do that they
> aren't being "rugged individualists". They are saying in effect, "I'm more important and smarter
> than anyone else." and in my experience those that think they are smarter than everyone else
> seldom are.

Just to be devil's advocate- what if 'collective judgement' decreed that road cycling was 'too
dangerous' (or too inconvenient for cars) to continue on any public street? When does collective
judgement become tyranny of the majority? I hope this doesn't happen but of course I've had drivers
express to me exactly that opinion.

Doug Kennedy

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:59:31 -0600, Hunrobe wrote:

>>Doug Kennedy [email protected]
>
> wrote in part:
>
>>Just to be devil's advocate- what if 'collective judgement' decreed that road cycling was 'too
>>dangerous' (or too inconvenient for cars) to continue on any public street? When does collective
>>judgement become tyranny of the majority? I hope this doesn't happen but of course I've had
>>drivers express to me exactly that opinion.
>>
>>Doug Kennedy
>
> Is it a tyranny of the majority that in many if not most locales it is illegal for an adult to
> ride a bicycle on the sidewalk? Law is always a constant balancing of opposing interests so I'm
> not sure what point you are trying to make.

I think the point is I've been reading too much "Spike Bike"...
http://danenet.wicip.org/bcp/spike.html

Doug Kennedy