Bicyclist killed by woman driver who was downloading cell phone ring tones

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:03:07 -0700, Mark Hickey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Seems like now Zoot's got two kinds of personal demons to deal with in
>his scary universe. Drivers and pedestrians.

It's the whole of car culture that is detestable for the destruction
that it has caused. Beginning with environmental degradation all the
way through to its corruption of people's souls, cars are destroying
human society.

I've no problem with pedestrians though they often do pull some dumb
stunts.
--
zk

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:03:07 -0700, Mark Hickey
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Seems like now Zoot's got two kinds of personal demons to deal with in
>>his scary universe. Drivers and pedestrians.

> It's the whole of car culture that is detestable for the destruction
> that it has caused. Beginning with environmental degradation all the
> way through to its corruption of people's souls, cars are destroying
> human society.
>
> I've no problem with pedestrians though they often do pull some dumb
> stunts.

As do everyone - including cyclists.

I live in a very rural area that is used by many pro race teams for their
winter training camps. Most of the locals have a "love/hate" relationship
with cycling here. While they appreciate the revenue brought to the area
by cycling (we also have an extremely popular century ride and the Tour
of California is having their individual time trial in town next year)
friends often tell me how rude some cyclists can be about not sharing the
road. Many riders - both the pros on their training rides and
recreational riders alike - will ride two and three abreast on roads wide
enough that cars could safely pass individual riders, but not wide enough
to allow the cars to pass riders chatting away side-by-side. I have even
called out to riders "car back" only to have them acknowledge me, but
ignore the car.

Cheers,
David

"Solvang Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:03:07 -0700, Mark Hickey
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Seems like now Zoot's got two kinds of personal demons to deal with in
>>>his scary universe. Drivers and pedestrians.

>> It's the whole of car culture that is detestable for the destruction
>> that it has caused. Beginning with environmental degradation all the
>> way through to its corruption of people's souls, cars are destroying
>> human society.
>>
>> I've no problem with pedestrians though they often do pull some dumb
>> stunts.

> As do everyone - including cyclists.
>
> I live in a very rural area that is used by many pro race teams for their
> winter training camps. Most of the locals have a "love/hate" relationship
> with cycling here. While they appreciate the revenue brought to the area
> by cycling (we also have an extremely popular century ride and the Tour
> of California is having their individual time trial in town next year)
> friends often tell me how rude some cyclists can be about not sharing the
> road. Many riders - both the pros on their training rides and
> recreational riders alike - will ride two and three abreast on roads wide
> enough that cars could safely pass individual riders, but not wide enough
> to allow the cars to pass riders chatting away side-by-side. I have even
> called out to riders "car back" only to have them acknowledge me, but
> ignore the car.
>
> Cheers,
> David

That is 3 against one. Majority rules I guess. One person in a car taking
up the whole road 364 days of the year. Not going to kill them is it for
training day.

It just seems to be a general lack of awareness in certain parts of the US. An infrastructure for cycling helps boost this. I was recently cycling in Ireland where it is quite poor for cyclists and had problems with unconcentrated drivers at roundabouts cutting me off or acting recklessly. I was then in Germany which has a better network of lanes and paths, though not comparable with the Netherlands and drivers were very aware of me at all times, slowing down and giving me right of way. They need to impose tough legal action like in the Netherlands where any collision between car and bike is the fault of the driver. This will also aid concentration levels.

Originally Posted by Billywhite .

It just seems to be a general lack of awareness in certain parts of the US. An infrastructure for cycling helps boost this. I was recently cycling in Ireland where it is quite poor for cyclists and had problems with unconcentrated drivers at roundabouts cutting me off or acting recklessly. I was then in Germany which has a better network of lanes and paths, though not comparable with the Netherlands and drivers were very aware of me at all times, slowing down and giving me right of way. They need to impose tough legal action like in the Netherlands where any collision between car and bike is the fault of the driver. This will also aid concentration levels.
You misunderstand the problem.

Perhaps you have seen the video of a basketball game (or some other activity) where a gorilla or other unexpected character passes through the scene. Half of the people do not see the gorilla. Why? Because the people are watching the game.

Same with bicyclists on the road. People are watching the road or motor vehicle traffic. Many people honesty do not see bicyclists. It is a brain issue. Not an inattention issue.

If motorists started to pay attention to bicyclists, they would have other driving issues.

---

Motorists have the same problem in not seeing motorcycles, becasue they are paying attention to other vehicle types.

I have an experience to share with you guys. Once I was in a remote place, my signal in my phone got jammed, i thought the problem would be with my service provider. After coming back home i gave black and blues to my customer care highlighting my issue. They pleaded me saying that the problem is not with them. Then i browsed through the search engine regarding my issue, i got a remedy for my cell phone, there i came to know the problem called signal jamming that is experienced in most cell phones. They have a product called phone jammer could be very useful to get rid of these problems. Check out the details here phone jammer and hope this information would be beneficial. Hope that u would pass this information to all your friends, so that they too would benefited, Stay safe, Cheers