Bicyle Lighting Questionnaire!!

UKSnowman

Dec 19, 2007
Hi all,

I was wondering if you can help, I am an Engineering Student at Bournemouth University and developing a new bicycle light for my final year project....would anybody help me out and fill out my questionnaire?

If you can get back to me with the question number and your answer it would be very much appreciated!!

I'll get back to you with my completed designs and keep you updated on the progress!!

Kind Regards

Matt

1. How many bicycle journeys do you make during the week?

2. How long do you spend on each journey?

3. What are the destinations for these cycle journeys?

4. How much would you expect to pay for a good quality bicycle head lamp?

5. How much would you expect to pay for a good quality dynamo unit?

6. What light output do you prefer from a cycle headlight? (Flashing or Constant)

7. In you opinion what are the problems with existing dynamo systems?

8. Please rate on a scale of one to five the importance of these light features:

a) Appearance

b) Weight

c) Light Functions

d) Dynamo compatibility

e) Build Quality

f) Weather Resistance

g) Quick Release from cycle

h) Handle Bar Adjustment

i) Recyclibility of Materials

j) Cost

k) Battery Life

m) Ease of Installation

THANKYOU!!

1) 8-10 trips to work plus errands
2) 9.5-13 miles to work or 2 to 3 miles for errands
3) I commute to work by bike and the library, gym, church, groceries, some shopping
4) $75.00
5) I won't have one.
6) Both. I have blinkies on the rear and on my helmet and a 6 volt 10 watt light on the front.
7) over priced, under powered
8 )with 1 as the lowest in importance )a-1 b-3 c-1 d-5 e-5 f-5 g-1 h-5 i-5 j-3 k-5 m-1

Hi

Many thanks for completing my questionnaire it really is very much appreciated, if you would like to knoe anything about the progress of the project then drop me a line and I will keep you updated!!

Kind Regards

Matt

Dunno if you want another one but I am interested in your project as I make my own lights.

1) 5 days, twice a day 16:5km there and back, total 33km
2)45mins, (its over all sorts of terrain)

3) Work mostly, occasionally shops at all hours though night and day as I work shifts.

4) Depends as I have a homemade halogen lights but for a decent recharable headlight you would be looking at 100 pounds+

5) I'm not keen as you need to keep peddling, unless you had some sort of battery, but then I reckon it would weigh alot.

6) Both I have blinkies, (a very small one) and a 20watt halogen helmet mounted light and a 50watt halogen handlebar mounted light for use along the cycle track, both run off 2x12v 4.0AH batteries, (they weigh a lot). You need a minimum of 10watts for what I need, anything lower and no halogen just does not cut it.

7) I've not tried a dynamo system since I was a kid, but I remember they were not very bright, also you need to keep the peddles turning right?

8) a-1
b-3
c-1
d-1 (low priority unless a good system)
e-4
f-5
g-3
h-3
i-3
j-3
k-4
m-3

Erm to anyone clicking that link please beware as it has pics of naked ladies on some of the pages. God knows what they were thinking anyhow Its NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!!!!

So Sorry JohanHobbs true that the link has some nudity. I guess I did not consider someone browsing it at work because I don't browse the web at work at all.

ohiobiker said:
So Sorry JohanHobbs true that the link has some nudity. I guess I did not consider someone browsing it at work because I don't browse the web at work at all.
HeeHee no probs I never read the warning at the start of the page. I'm glad that my female collegue that I was with at the time is a friend and broad-minded. Don't think the work IT crew will bother checking up on me, (crosses fingers).

Funny I was expecting to look at headlamps just not those sorts of "headlamps"!:D