Bid to cut rural road deaths report

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
See http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.asp?datetime=20+Jan+2003+05%3A00
&tbrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=News&brand=EDPOnline&itemid=NOED
19+Jan+2003+20%3A27%3A36%3A440

"Bid to cut rural road accident toll

January 20, 2003 05:00

High-profile safety improvements could soon be in place across Norfolk to reduce fatal and serious
injury accidents on rural roads.

Figures to be presented to the county council's planning and transportation review panel on Thursday
state the number of pedestrians, cyclists and car occupants killed or seriously injured over the
past three years is much higher than the UK average.

A report recommends measures, including road improvement schemes and increased public information,
to tackle specific areas where the cas-ualty rate is high.

It states: "Around 60pc of Norfolk killed or seriously-injured casualties occur on rural roads and a
major part of our efforts must be directed at these roads."

The report points out, however, that 85pc of accidents which kill or seriously injure pedestrians
and cyclists, who account for 22pc of the overall toll, happen in urban areas.

It adds: "Norwich and Yarmouth, in particular, have significant problems for these users. It is
therefore necessary to have a plan to tackle these casualty issues."

Some good news is offered in the report, which also states that the level in Norfolk of car
occupants who suffered slight injuries in 1999, 2000 and 2001 was low, while the number of
pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyc-lists who are similarly hurt is average compared with the rest of
the country.

In addition, writes policy and performance manager Owen Burnett-Jenkins, Norfolk has in recent years
achieved a 26pc reduction in the number of people killed or seriously injured, compared with the
national target of 40pc by 2010 set by the Government.

"Overall, Norfolk County Council does perform well in casualty reduction terms," says the report.
"One reason for this is that we have targeted casualty reduction via a local safety schemes
programme."

But it concludes: "While traditional safety schemes perform well, their impact is sometimes
short-lived and, therefore, new strategies and measures must be developed to continue this downward
trend in accident reduction in Norfolk."

Under consideration for inclusion in the council's casualty reduction plan are safety-improvement
schemes for entire routes as well as localised junction work.

Both, however, would work alongside increased publicity for road safety campaigns and greater
concentration on the level of accidents linked to drivers on business.

"We have always had concerns with our rural road network, in particular the fact that we have
inherited a tremendous backlog of repairs," said panel chairman Graham Hemming.

"Many people feel that Norfolk faces a considerable problem in establish-ing rural roads capable
of meeting its needs. It is a problem that has not been as well pursued as it needed to be in
the past.""

From EDP Online.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On 20 Jan 2003 09:32:46 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>See http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.asp?datetime=20+Jan+2003+05%3A00
>&tbrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=News&brand=EDPOnline&itemid=NOED
>19+Jan+2003+20%3A27%3A36%3A440

>"Bid to cut rural road accident toll

>But it concludes: "While traditional safety schemes perform well, their impact is sometimes
>short-lived and, therefore, new strategies and measures must be developed to continue this downward
>trend in accident reduction in Norfolk."

I don't know whether to be heartened or worried that the report doesn't once mention speed. Are they
waking up to reality, or are they scared of public opinion? Only time will tell.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email Let's make
speed cameras as unacceptable as drink driving

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

> A report recommends measures, including road improvement schemes and increased public information,
> to tackle specific areas where the cas-ualty rate is high.

Probably means segregated cycling facilities with "Cyclists Dismount" signs at every junction :-(

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

On 20 Jan 2003 09:32:46 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>A report recommends measures, including road improvement schemes and increased public information,
>to tackle specific areas where the cas-ualty rate is high.

No mention of goolies? Obviously an oversight.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

>"We have always had concerns with our rural road network, in particular the fact that we have
>inherited a tremendous backlog of repairs," said panel chairman Graham Hemming.
*inherited* ! Who from? The Turnpike trusts?

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the statuette business went bust 2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
[email protected] Gravity beer in Essex <http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I don't know whether to be heartened or worried that the report doesn't once mention speed. Are
> they waking up to reality, or are they scared of public opinion? Only time will tell.

Rural roads typically have people losing control at corners or meeting unsuspected hazards, or have
bikers playing silly buggers.

Hmmm all these caused by drivers making a bad decision about ...

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote >
> I don't know whether to be heartened or worried that the report doesn't once mention speed. Are
> they waking up to reality, or are they scared of public opinion? Only time will tell.
> --

The report didn't go into the specifics of any of the "safety schemes" but I think we are reasonably
safe in assuming that at least some of them will include new speed limits, cameras, speed bumps,
chicanes and other sensible measures to REDUCE SPEED. Any evidence to the contrary?

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:04:03 +0000, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

>>"We have always had concerns with our rural road network, in particular the fact that we have
>>inherited a tremendous backlog of repairs," said panel chairman Graham Hemming.
>*inherited* ! Who from? The Turnpike trusts?

LOL!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:47:36 -0000, "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote >

>> I don't know whether to be heartened or worried that the report doesn't once mention speed. Are
>> they waking up to reality, or are they scared of public opinion? Only time will tell.

>The report didn't go into the specifics of any of the "safety schemes" but I think we are
>reasonably safe in assuming that at least some of them will include new speed limits, cameras,
>speed bumps, chicanes and other sensible measures to REDUCE SPEED. Any evidence to the contrary?

Those sorts of things may well feature in their plans, but I would find it revealing if they do
feature and they didn't say so.

I've no evidence other than the short article.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email Let's make
speed cameras as unacceptable as drink driving

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:47:36 -0000, "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote >
>> I don't know whether to be heartened or worried that the report doesn't once mention speed. Are
>> they waking up to reality, or are they scared of public opinion? Only time will tell.
>> --
>

>The report didn't go into the specifics of any of the "safety schemes" but I think we are
>reasonably safe in assuming that at least some of them will include new speed limits, cameras,
>speed bumps, chicanes and other sensible measures to REDUCE SPEED. Any evidence to the contrary?

Probably not as we're talking about rural roads. The design criteria for most traffic calming
require street lighting to be present. It also costs a lot so I expect it'll be an 'education'
campaign; a few posters telling people to reduce their speed - which of course will be ignored.

I read somewhere (a link from the quiet lanes site, I think) that if you ask people 'what speed
would you drive down this road?" you get a much lower answer than if you ask 'what speed do other
drivers drive on this road'. Curiously, the latter question is much closer to measured averages for
any given road.

>No mention of goolies? Obviously an oversight.

Obviously. Bring back the birch too.

Cheers, helen s