Big arms and cycling

phazer

Jun 29, 2005
Why is it that in most photo's I see, it seems track rider's arms are ALOT more muscular than road cyclists or even XC mountain bikers? I it not just extra weight? Or do they actually use it....guess they have to if it's that developed.

phazer said:
Why is it that in most photo's I see, it seems track rider's arms are ALOT more muscular than road cyclists or even XC mountain bikers? I it not just extra weight? Or do they actually use it....guess they have to if it's that developed.

You're probably looking at photos of track sprinters - they're the only ones who really look muscular in the upper body- they use all that strength for extremely short and fast accelerations. Persuiters, kilo riders, Madison and Keirin racers all look more like roadies physically.

DiabloScott said:
You're probably looking at photos of track sprinters - they're the only ones who really look muscular in the upper body- they use all that strength for extremely short and fast accelerations. Persuiters, kilo riders, Madison and Keirin racers all look more like roadies physically.
But why do they have it in the first place? How did it get there? Are they in the gym working on thier upper bodies or do folks will a high % of fast twitch fibers more likely to bulk-up naturally?

One sees the same thing when looking at runners - think marathoners vs. sprinters.

DiabloScott said:
Uh, I gotta disagree. Keirin racers are also pretty huge dudes in most cases. They use the added bulk for acceleration (just like sprinters) and knocking each other around. Kilo riders are also pretty beefy, as the Kilo requires a rider to get up to speed extremely fast. Madison riders and pursuiters do generally look like roadies, and, in fact, many (Graeme Brown, Stuey O'Grady, Brad McGee, Brad Wiggins) are.

Also, trackies are always wearing skinsuits, which make you look jacked, no matter how skinny you are.

objective said:
But why do they have it in the first place? How did it get there? Are they in the gym working on thier upper bodies or do folks will a high % of fast twitch fibers more likely to bulk-up naturally?

One sees the same thing when looking at runners - think marathoners vs. sprinters.
Theyre in the gym more than they are on the bike mate.
Chris Hoy spends more time doing squats than anything else.Naturally he will lift weights for his upper body aswell - its integral for short haul trackies to have strength just about everywhere.

If they are squating or deadlifting 2-3 times their bodyweight they will have to be pretty strong just to hold the weight. Doing lifts that activate most of the body also facilitate better growth squats and deadlifts are some of these types of movements (anyone who's done a squat workout to exhaustion knows it blows you out), doing an olympic style lift or a clean, jerk, and press movement is as close to a single total body exercies that you can get. It is possible to get big arms without specificaly working the arms (diet is a big factor). Big is reletive, compared to some pro bodybuilders these guys will be pencil necked girly men, (in best Arnold voice) but compared to us roadies they are huge.