Big bicycle wheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Marty Wallace, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:58:21 +0800, "Marty Wallace"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Worlds biggest bike wheel.
    >
    >Anyone know what this place is for?
    >
    >http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&w=1
    >
    >Marty

    Dear Marty,

    Looks like the Goodyear Proving Grounds for tire testing.

    Switch your link from aerial photo to topo map, enlarge, and
    note legend and Texas Highway 277 running northeast past it.

    Then search this page:

    http://www.gosanangelo.com/sast/cda...AST_4927_1553945_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

    Carl Fogel

  3. <c[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:58:21 +0800, "Marty Wallace"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Worlds biggest bike wheel.
    > >
    > >Anyone know what this place is for?
    > >

    >http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&

    w=1

    > >Marty
    > >

    > Dear Marty,
    >
    > Looks like the Goodyear Proving Grounds for tire testing.
    >
    > Switch your link from aerial photo to topo map, enlarge, and
    > note legend and Texas Highway 277 running northeast past it.
    >
    > Then search this page:

    http://www.gosanangelo.com/sast/cda...AST_4927_1553945_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

    > Carl Fogel

    Good work Carl. Mind you, it's a mighty big tyre they're testing. Looks like
    a carbon blade fork and Shimano brake that they've got on the test setup.

    Marty

  4. Marty Wallace wrote:

    > Worlds biggest bike wheel.

    This one is more like a real bicycle wheel, and works in the same way:

    http://www.arman.kz/images/london eye.jpg

    Radial spoking is OK in this instance because it's driven at the rim.

  5. "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Marty Wallace wrote:
    >
    > > Worlds biggest bike wheel.

    > This one is more like a real bicycle wheel, and works in the same way:
    >
    > http://www.arman.kz/images/london eye.jpg
    >
    > Radial spoking is OK in this instance because it's driven at the rim.

    I hope they've used a bit of Loctite on the nipples. Those radial spokes
    need something like that to stop them working loose.

    Marty

  6. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

  7. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

  8. "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My guess is particle accellerator :)
    >
    > Mike
    > http://mikebeauchamp.com
    >
    > "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Worlds biggest bike wheel.
    > >
    > > Anyone know what this place is for?

    http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&w=1

    > > Marty

    Here's the real answer.

    Dear Marty,

    That is the old track at the Goodyear Tire proving grounds. The big
    circle was the road they used to test the tires and the spokes were the
    fire lanes that cut through the vegetation. The new track is the figure
    8 you see to the left of the circle.

    Eve Keim
    Visitor Center Coordinator
    418 W. Ave B
    San Angelo, TX 76903
    325-655-4136
    [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
    <mailto:[email protected]>
    <mailto:[email protected]>

  9. Marty Wallace wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...

    >"Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> My guess is particle accellerator :)
    >>
    >> Mike
    >> http://mikebeauchamp.com
    >>
    >> "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Worlds biggest bike wheel.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone know what this place is for?
    >> >

    >http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&

    w=1

    >> > Marty
    >> >

    >Here's the real answer.
    >
    >Dear Marty,
    >
    >That is the old track at the Goodyear Tire proving grounds. The big
    >circle was the road they used to test the tires and the spokes were the
    >fire lanes that cut through the vegetation. The new track is the figure
    >8 you see to the left of the circle.
    >

    >Eve Keim
    >Visitor Center Coordinator
    >418 W. Ave B
    >San Angelo, TX 76903
    >325-655-4136
    >[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
    > <mailto:[email protected]>
    > <mailto:[email protected]>

    These are smaller yet, but are parts of a real bicycle (if a bicycle is a
    two-wheeled human powered vehicle).
    http://fst.orst.edu/bob_durst/
    Kerry

  10. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

  11. Jeff Wills wrote:

    > I think the Muckle Flugga's wheels are bigger:
    > http://www.kempf.com/~mrk/fun/smf/flugga.htm
    > but since there's four, I don't really know what to call it.

    That is a quadricycle.