Big Bloke VS Carbon Fibre?!

boudreaux said:
Sorry, I know there is a better work,but I couldn't spell it. Besides, abuse by the obeese just sounds right.

It may sound good but 6'4" and 210 pounds is my height and weight almost exactly and that it definitely does not qualify as obese. Some people have even called me skinny (which I'm not). No one has ever said "hey fatty" to me... Let alone obese!

I ride a Kestrel Talon.
They have a lifetime warranty.
I weighed more than you when I bought it and had no problems.
Still riding it and down to 92Kg

Interesting.. with this logic I might add don't by anything aluminum as it bends as do my aluminum rim wheels. Don't buy steel as it will rust as those steel rims I had in 1970 did. I once had a carbon fishing rod break. I don't use it to compare bike frames though because its is not one. Sorry to hear you broke 5 wheels, are you on the sixth one now or did you move to another wheel.
I see your point, however, I only have my own experience to go by, and I have never hit anything like a curb with them. I'm on Zipp #6.
That's just BS.
Thank you for your valuable input.

hashde said:
I see your point, however, I only have my own experience to go by, and I have never hit anything like a curb with them. I'm on Zipp #6.
Thank you for your valuable input.
Well,the 'stuff' about CF and bumps really is BS. How about CF forks? CF stays? CF frames? Show me failure rates of any of it atributable to 'bumps'..... FWIW,I'd have gotten on the learning curve and ditched the zips with that kind of record, unless you are getting free replacements.

boudreaux said:
Well,the 'stuff' about CF and bumps really is BS. How about CF forks? CF stays? CF frames? Show me failure rates of any of it atributable to 'bumps'..... FWIW,I'd have gotten on the learning curve and ditched the zips with that kind of record, unless you are getting free replacements.
OK, nothing for bumps specically :rolleyes: , but read below.
Oh, and I am getting free replacements.
The matrix material's primary functions are to provide shape to the structureand position the fiber such that an applied load can be efficiently transferred to the fiber. When fiber in a load bearing structure iswrinkled or uneven, matrix failure can occur since the resin strength is significantly less than that of the fiber. This resinbreakdown, although often gradual, will significantly reduce the functional life of the composite structure because fibers in thestructure won't be loaded evenly, causing some fibers to fail before all the structure fibers begin to work together. This gradual breakdown of matrix and fiber can lead to lower fatigue life of the structural member
http://www.calfeedesign.com/Calfee_TWP.pdf
Whatever the problem is with my wheels, it has always been the carbon that has broken, and as such, I stand buy my opinion that carbon is prone to breakage. Yes, I know that the carbon in my wheels is much thinner than that in frames, etc. If you really feel you need further proof of carbon failure, look to manufacturer weight limits on carbon frames, seat posts, wheels, etc.

hashde said:

Whatever the problem is with my wheels, it has always been the carbon that has broken, and as such, I stand buy my opinion that carbon is prone to breakage. Yes, I know that the carbon in my wheels is much thinner than that in frames, etc. If you really feel you need further proof of carbon failure, look to manufacturer weight limits on carbon frames, seat posts, wheels, etc.

Anything is "prone to failure"....steel, Ti, aluminum, and CF, if it isn't designed and manufactured for the real world. Any lightweight structure will have a weight limit for a given fatigue life, if the manufacturer has enough test data and wants to provide it.

Perhaps Zipp made a mistake by shaving off the last 100 grams for marketing purposes, or expected people to be riding their wheels only on perfectly smooth TT courses?

The fact that you've got CF wheels that aren't adequate for your application doesn't mean anything about CF in general. It's used widely in aircraft, F1 cars and bikes because of it's stiffness-to-weight advantage, but like any other material, it has to be engineered for the job.

hashde said:

Most carbon frames (which is what the original poster was asking about), aside from possibly a few ultra-light racing frames do not have manufacturer imposed weight limits that I'm aware of.