Big Boys Unite!...the downfall of uniting.

Dfleming

Jul 5, 2011
Hey Everyone! Happy to be part of such a renown community such as the Clydesdales! I am BRAND new to the forums so I guess a small introduction would be necessary.

The name is Dustin F, and I am a 230 pound rugger at Florida State University. I only just recently got into cycling starting in August when my friend let me barrow his road bike to get around campus for the day. Boy was it life changing, ever since I have been an enthusiast and have started a youth cycling group back in my hometown. I ride a single-speed Miyata Prologue mostly and love it.

The point of me posting was to share a story where my size, was my strength but ultimately my downfall. The friend who had to road bike and I wanted to do something exciting for the summer, but couldn't decide what. We decided on taking a burley tandem touring bike 2100 miles. Now remember i have No/little cycling experience and am conditioned to running around the pitch and hitting people, not riding 85 miles a day. Long story short, we were riding 85 miles a day making great time when all of a sudden our rear wheel collapsed. No biggie, call a bike shop have them express a touring tandem wheel to us and BAM on our way....or so we though. Once the new wheel was on not 8 miles down the road, it collapsed again. The way we figure it, it was just too much weight and i was a big contributor considering i had 100 pounds of my marathon running partner.

Although I was able to power us up hills and get us to high speeds with my strong legs, being a Clydesdale cut our trip short by 1800 miles. the experience was great though and we met some awesome people. If you'd like to read about our trip here is a link:

www.crazyguyonabike.com/rustinschleming

I hope to be a heavy contributor to our challenge! Much Love!