Big Charity Rides And bike problems

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Rita lomax, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Rita lomax

    Rita lomax Guest

    Hello group I am thinking of going in a big bike charity ride soon, but I am
    nervous about my bike breaking down, like a punture or chain breaking, or
    any problem that might arise when I am a long way from home base.

    Is there normally support cars out there, or am I on my own if I have a
    problem ?

    Thanks for some advice.
    Rita

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Rita lomax wrote:
    > Hello group I am thinking of going in a big bike charity ride soon, but I am
    > nervous about my bike breaking down, like a punture or chain breaking, or
    > any problem that might arise when I am a long way from home base.

    Carry a puncture repair kit and a multitool, a couple of spare
    tubes and a pump. Know how to use them. Also carry a mobile
    phone, some spare cash and a credit card :)

    > Is there normally support cars out there, or am I on my own if I have a
    > problem ?

    Depends on the event. Ask the organisers!

  3. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "Rita lomax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello group I am thinking of going in a big bike charity ride soon, but I
    > am nervous about my bike breaking down, like a punture or chain breaking,
    > or any problem that might arise when I am a long way from home base.
    >
    > Is there normally support cars out there, or am I on my own if I have a
    > problem ?
    >
    > Thanks for some advice.
    > Rita

    Which charity ride you refering to Rita?
    >Generally all those large charity rides have support (repair) vehicles
    >and/or a sweep bus that picks you up at the rear when you or bike can't go
    >further.

    Prevention is better than cure in many aspects of cycling and although you
    can't stop punctures, they are a fact of cycling life so be prepared for it.
    Before you go on this event, book your bicycle into a bike shop and get them
    to do a service on it and replace anything that might be suspect. By doing
    this, things like chains,gears, spokes etc will hopefully last longer. While
    in bike shop, ask them how to change a tube especially the rear wheel where
    you have to first take the chain off the rear cogs. It's usually best to
    carry a couple of extra tubes with you for insurance rather than mucking
    around on the side of the road trying to patch a hole.Usually but not always
    ( chivalry is not completely dead)), if someone sees you struggling with it,
    you'll usually get someone to stop and help.
    I beleive it's best to spend a few dollars on the bike now than being
    dissapointed when it fails on you and you miss out on all the fun.
    Go on...enjoy it, I guarantee it won't be the last one you'll go on!!

    Cheers
    DJ