Big climb on my new TE!

S

Scott

I'm just really excited about today's ride so I gotta purge. I crashed my TE last week. I got the
needed parts, put Humpty Dumpty back together, and pedaled the beast up one of the bigger climbs
around here. I was a bit unsure how long the ride would take, but I climbed much more quickly than I
expected. The TE may not be the fasted bent around, but I find it performs quite well. The ride
consisted of 44.2 miles of easy grades at first but really kicking in after mile 19. The total climb
was 4,400 ft. with well over 3,000 of that in the last twenty miles. For the whole course, I was
able to average 12.5 mph. with a final riding time of 3.5 hours. I did take a couple of breaks! So
total time was a bit over four hours. I have no idea how fast I could do this climb on a Ti Aero and
the like, but I'm happy with this performance.

In general, I'm really liking the LWB experience. I was surprised at how smooth the bike rides. It
absorbs road shock very well. I do miss my USS Haluzak and plan on owning another USS in the future,
maybe another Haluzak or Slipstream, but for now, I'm happy with the Angletech Tour Easy, and I'm
starting to feel ready for my Death Valley tour coming up in just ten days--yikes!

Ride well and safely,

Scott

Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
: consisted of 44.2 miles of easy grades at first but really kicking in after mile 19. The total
: climb was 4,400 ft. with well over 3,000 of that in the last twenty miles. For the whole course, I
: was able to average 12.5 mph. with a final riding time of 3.5 hours. I did take a couple of
: breaks! So total time was a bit over four hours. I have no

Sounds very good. I don't know if I've ever done a ride with more than 100m climbing. Maybe...

: how smooth the bike rides. It absorbs road shock very well. I do miss my USS Haluzak and plan on
: owning another USS in the future, maybe another Haluzak or Slipstream, but for now, I'm happy
: with the

Have you tried tadpole trikes? USS is one reason I like mine...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> : consisted of 44.2 miles of easy grades at first but really kicking in after mile 19. The total
> : climb was 4,400 ft. with well over 3,000 of that in the last twenty miles. For the whole course,
> : I was able to average 12.5 mph. with a final riding time of 3.5 hours. I did take a couple of
> : breaks! So total time was a bit over four hours. I have no
>
> Sounds very good. I don't know if I've ever done a ride with more than 100m climbing. Maybe...
>
> : how smooth the bike rides. It absorbs road shock very well. I do miss my USS Haluzak and plan on
> : owning another USS in the future, maybe another Haluzak or Slipstream, but for now, I'm happy
> : with the
>
> Have you tried tadpole trikes? USS is one reason I like mine...

Hi, Risto: So is Finland just pretty flat--or is that just around Helsinki? Actually, my wife and I
have a Greenspeed tandem. Trikes are wonderful. I might own a single one day, but at this point I'm
more interested in bikes for myself. There's just something about banking into corners, the
lightness and responsiveness of bikes that I really like. In a place with a much shorter riding
season like Finland, I'd probably have a trike--at least in addition to a bike. Marginal road
conditions make trikes pretty nice!

Regards,

Scott

Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

: Hi, Risto: So is Finland just pretty flat--or is that just around Helsinki?

The coastal areas (where most of the people live) are quite flat. In the middle and the East it's
more hilly, and in the North you can get some big ones up to 1000 m or so (from sea level that is).

: Actually, my wife and I have a Greenspeed tandem. Trikes are wonderful.

Hmm now that's something :)

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

>The coastal areas (where most of the people live) are quite flat.

Yes but there is Tytyri mine where some people do uphill training. It is 350 m of uphill, total
distance 2.4 km. I have done it a few times, and afaik no other recumbents have been there. Low gear
is essential, my average speed was only 4.2 km/h...