Big, Fat, Brutal Rider Seeks New MTB Disc Rims and Hubs. Advice, Please!

Fitz

Guest
I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
Thanks!

On Apr 27, 5:07 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
> 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
> hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
> don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
> weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
> Thanks!

I like Alex rims. Ridden them for years and years. They're not
expensive, but built with double butted spokes (or Sapim CX-rays if
you've got the dough) they'll do ya right. The classic DM18 in a 36H
version is dirt cheap at under $20. If you feel the need to spend
more, the FD28 is a good cross country rim for $35 with a pretty deep
and strong section. Finally, if you're downhilling, the Supra D is a
wide $60 rim.

If it was my wheelset, I'd go for the DM18s. Cheap, strong, and if you
taco a wheel out in the woods--it's cheap enough to lace up a fresh
one.

On Apr 27, 4:02 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 5:07 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
> > 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
> > hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
> > don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
> > weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
> > Thanks!

> I like Alex rims. Ridden them for years and years. They're not
> expensive, but built with double butted spokes (or Sapim CX-rays if
> you've got the dough) they'll do ya right. The classic DM18 in a 36H
> version is dirt cheap at under $20. If you feel the need to spend
> more, the FD28 is a good cross country rim for $35 with a pretty deep
> and strong section. Finally, if you're downhilling, the Supra D is a
> wide $60 rim.
>
> If it was my wheelset, I'd go for the DM18s. Cheap, strong, and if you
> taco a wheel out in the woods--it's cheap enough to lace up a fresh
> one.

Thanks for your reply. A wheelbuilder here recommends Velocity
Aeroheads. Hand-built with an XT hub, he's quoting me $205.00 per
wheel. Ouch!

On 27 Apr 2007 23:15:26 -0700, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Apr 27, 4:02 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 5:07 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
>> > 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
>> > hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
>> > don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
>> > weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
>> > Thanks!

>> I like Alex rims. Ridden them for years and years. They're not
>> expensive, but built with double butted spokes (or Sapim CX-rays if
>> you've got the dough) they'll do ya right. The classic DM18 in a 36H
>> version is dirt cheap at under $20. If you feel the need to spend
>> more, the FD28 is a good cross country rim for $35 with a pretty deep
>> and strong section. Finally, if you're downhilling, the Supra D is a
>> wide $60 rim.
>>
>> If it was my wheelset, I'd go for the DM18s. Cheap, strong, and if you
>> taco a wheel out in the woods--it's cheap enough to lace up a fresh
>> one.

>Thanks for your reply. A wheelbuilder here recommends Velocity
>Aeroheads. Hand-built with an XT hub, he's quoting me $205.00 per
>wheel. Ouch!

That doesn't seem an unreasonable price, assuming you're getting top
quality spokes, but the Aeroheat (The MTB rim is Aeroheat, the
Aerohead is a 700C rim) seems an odd choice. The Cliffhanger is
essentially a scaled up Aeroheat, wider and thicker walled, so it
would seem to be the better choice. Try to get the version with
non-machined sidewalls as you're running discs.

My personal favorite is the Mavic EX823, but that's at least $50 per
wheel over your budget

At you're budget, you're stuck with Shimano hubs, but which XT are you
being sold? I'd take the older, large flange, M756 over the current
M765. Even better, save a few buck by getting Deore M525 which is
essentially the M756 without the slotted flanges.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Fitz said:
I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
Thanks!
Alex Rims Supra 34 rims or Velocity Psycho rims.
Both reasonably priced and very strong.
Have the wheels built by the best wheel builder you can find.
I suggest Sapim Race 14/15 DB or DT Competition 14/15 DB spokes with qualtity nipples like Sapim Brass Polyax.
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

On Apr 27, 3:07 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
> 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
> hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
> don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
> weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
> Thanks!

You can find Sun Rhynolites with XT M756 hubs all day long on the
internet for as little as $160 for the pair. I have a pair for the
Sierras as my heavy duty wheelset for bashing granite. Just make sure
you get the welded version not pinned. Also the XL version is wider
and stronger if that is what you want. Plenty of other good choices
out there like the Sun singletrack rim or Mavic Deetracks or Azonic
Trailpimps........ Bottom line the Rhynos are the cheapest.

On Apr 28, 1:15 am, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 4:02 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 27, 5:07 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
> > > 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
> > > hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
> > > don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
> > > weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
> > > Thanks!

> > I like Alex rims. Ridden them for years and years. They're not
> > expensive, but built with double butted spokes (or Sapim CX-rays if
> > you've got the dough) they'll do ya right. The classic DM18 in a 36H
> > version is dirt cheap at under $20. If you feel the need to spend
> > more, the FD28 is a good cross country rim for $35 with a pretty deep
> > and strong section. Finally, if you're downhilling, the Supra D is a
> > wide $60 rim.

> > If it was my wheelset, I'd go for the DM18s. Cheap, strong, and if you
> > taco a wheel out in the woods--it's cheap enough to lace up a fresh
> > one.

> Thanks for your reply. A wheelbuilder here recommends Velocity
> Aeroheads. Hand-built with an XT hub, he's quoting me $205.00 per
> wheel. Ouch!

You don't need no steenkin' XT hub. As Kinky wrote, the Shimano 525
will work fine. Blow your budget and repack with a dollar's worth of
grade 25 bearings. + spokes, labor, and a dm18 rim, it shouldn't cost
more than $125 for the wheel.

If you're on a super tight budget, you might be fine with a machine
built wheel that's brought up to tension and trued by hand. Nashbar's
got one with a Mavic x717 rim laced to a 525 hub for $100 at the
moment. That's the street price of just the rim and hub plus thirteen
spokes. Destress and bring it up to tension and it should be just fine.

Fitz wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. A wheelbuilder here recommends Velocity
> Aeroheads. Hand-built with an XT hub, he's quoting me $205.00 per
> wheel. Ouch!

Not bad. You can rebuild on your present hub for about $109

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 27 Apr 2007 23:15:26 -0700, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Apr 27, 4:02 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 5:07 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
>> > 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
>> > hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
>> > don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
>> > weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
>> > Thanks!

>> I like Alex rims. Ridden them for years and years. They're not
>> expensive, but built with double butted spokes (or Sapim CX-rays if
>> you've got the dough) they'll do ya right. The classic DM18 in a 36H
>> version is dirt cheap at under $20. If you feel the need to spend
>> more, the FD28 is a good cross country rim for $35 with a pretty deep
>> and strong section. Finally, if you're downhilling, the Supra D is a
>> wide $60 rim.
>>
>> If it was my wheelset, I'd go for the DM18s. Cheap, strong, and if you
>> taco a wheel out in the woods--it's cheap enough to lace up a fresh
>> one.

>Thanks for your reply. A wheelbuilder here recommends Velocity
>Aeroheads. Hand-built with an XT hub, he's quoting me $205.00 per
>wheel. Ouch!

The Aerohead is a great rim and remarkably light for something as indestructible
as it is. I'm a 225 pound XC rider and I can't hurt the things.

Ron

On Apr 27, 4:02 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 5:07 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
> > 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
> > hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
> > don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
> > weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
> > Thanks!

> I like Alex rims. Ridden them for years and years. They're not
> expensive, but built with double butted spokes (or Sapim CX-rays if
> you've got the dough) they'll do ya right. The classic DM18 in a 36H
> version is dirt cheap at under $20. If you feel the need to spend
> more, the FD28 is a good cross country rim for $35 with a pretty deep
> and strong section. Finally, if you're downhilling, the Supra D is a
> wide $60 rim.
>
> If it was my wheelset, I'd go for the DM18s. Cheap, strong, and if you
> taco a wheel out in the woods--it's cheap enough to lace up a fresh
> one.

Thanks for your advice. I sure like the price. I'm a bit
disappointed that they only come in Schraeder valve configurations,
though. . .

On Apr 29, 3:01 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 4:02 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 27, 5:07 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm 6'6" tall and 240 pounds. I need new disc rims and hubs for my
> > > 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert full-suspension MTB. I love my
> > > hydraulic Deore disc brakes. What rims and hubs should I buy when I
> > > don't want to spend more than $200.00 per rim and I don't care about
> > > weight, only durability and their potential to be "bullet-proof?"
> > > Thanks!

> > I like Alex rims. Ridden them for years and years. They're not
> > expensive, but built with double butted spokes (or Sapim CX-rays if
> > you've got the dough) they'll do ya right. The classic DM18 in a 36H
> > version is dirt cheap at under $20. If you feel the need to spend
> > more, the FD28 is a good cross country rim for $35 with a pretty deep
> > and strong section. Finally, if you're downhilling, the Supra D is a
> > wide $60 rim.

> > If it was my wheelset, I'd go for the DM18s. Cheap, strong, and if you
> > taco a wheel out in the woods--it's cheap enough to lace up a fresh
> > one.

> Thanks for your advice. I sure like the price. I'm a bit
> disappointed that they only come in Schraeder valve configurations,
> though. . .

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=RM7509

Silver, presta, 36H, $18, and strong as hell. What more ya want?