big front chainring.. wearing? help..!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Roquen, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Roquen

Roquen New Member

I noticed after my race yesterday that some of the points of my big front chainring have either snapped off or worn down somehow, Ive only done about 800km on this bike.. Also - before my race, it was fine, but during the race, i couldn't get the chain to go up onto the big chainring at all, no matter what gear i was in.. however it is working when i pedal it now on the indoor trainer..

where should i look for the problem and any ideas about what's going on?

(if I need to replace it, how much are they? !)
    ta

Roquen..:cool:

Tags:

2. rek

rek New Member

The teeth of the chainrings on modern Shimano groupsets do look a little weird (there are also little ramps and pins on the inside of the chainrings if you look closely at them); it's all part of the engineering magic that make shifting smoother and more responsive (the dodgy looking teeth, ramps, etc. make it so that the chain is engaged by one cog before it is released from the other.)

The gear problems are probably due to the shift cables not being fully stretched out yet; a cable tension & derailleur adjustment should put things back into shape.

3. Roquen

Roquen New Member

Ah ok cool, I only just got this bike not long ago, i will get someone to check the cables for me and have a fiddle, Im not sure which way or how much to turn the tighteners..!

phew...