big guy needs bike!

biknfatty

Sep 15, 2004
What's a good bike for a beginning MTN Biker who will attempt to do some light to medium trails and bike to work on the street to assist in getting in shape. I'm looking for something to hold a 280lb guy :eek: without breaking. Not looking into spending more the $500 either.

Thanks!

Kona has a line of bikes called Hoss. I think there is the Hoss and Hoss Dee-Lux. Not sure on the price points on either of those models at the moment, but they are specifically designed for a clydesdale rider.

Short of that, and entry level mountain bike by Specialized or Trek would be good bets. Companies that have been around a while, are known for decent customer service, make quality frames and are simply excellent at selecting a component array that gives the best quality for the $$$.

If you go the route of a Specialized or Trek, maybe aim at spending a bit under your limit, and talk to your bike shop about upgrading any parts that might be a little slim to something with more beef. Specialized likes to use 1.8mm spokes for example, you would definately benefit from 2.0mm spokes.

Cheers,
Juba

biknfatty said:
What's a good bike for a beginning MTN Biker who will attempt to do some light to medium trails and bike to work on the street to assist in getting in shape. I'm looking for something to hold a 280lb guy :eek: without breaking. Not looking into spending more the $500 either.

Thanks!
No $500 bike will hold up to daily trail riding under a 280# guy. You might be able to get a bike to last 3-6mos before needing some component changes. Things will break or wear out and you'll fix/upgrade incrementally.

Cranks, tires, wheels and front fork can be problems. I weigh 260# and ride all but daily. I regularly swap tires but have upgraded the fork and wheels that were on my bike... along with everything else over the years.

Technology has come a long ways since I started.

Make sure you get a splined botom bracket/crank. They are exponentially better than square taper BBs.

The better front fork is money well spent. Us heavy guys have problems with flex in the forks.

Get at least 24 speeds(3x8.. prefer 3x9). it keeps you in the better parts.

Everything else will work itself out over time. I bought an '03 specialized hardrock pro disc for my son and have played on it a bit. It seems to be a pretty solid <$500 ($429 +tax)bike.

I helped a buddy pick out a Trek for ~$500 that has been holding up to his abuse, i mean, use ;) :D It was out the door for ~$550.

Just don't think that breaking or wearing out a part makes them bad bikes. Even the best parts break under heavy guys.

FWIW,
Mark

biknfatty said:

Thanks!

Stay away from the FS bikes at this price. If you are comfortable with buying a used bike there are plenty of them that will stand-up to your weight at that price. Most of the *frames* will be capable, but the components will die under you. I am currently 250(ish) and have rode at weights as high as 310. What has given (consistently) the most trouble are wheels and forks. Cranks can be an issue as well, but extreme situations aside the cranks are a distant third concern.

I've been riding 20mm single crown forks ever since they have been available and they are perfect for clydesdale riders ("us"). Rock Shock forks are horrible for us (even the Tulio or whatever the hell they call their 20mm fork). Marzocchi forks are great for us lardasses. Sun/Ringle' rims are a good call. The Mammoth XL are great (and cheap). As mentioned above, if you can get a crank/bb that is *not* square-taper.

In all seriousness, look at used bikes or frames and build them up (if you are comfortable). The Kona Hoss is a good bigboy bike. If you want more assistance/info let me know and I'm sure I can give some insight into some products, stuff, bikes that would work. Good luck.

K.

biknfatty said:

Thanks!
Mountain Bike Rider October 2004 Edition:

"HIGH & MIGHTY - We assess a trio of bikes for very big blokes from Kona. Merida and Ventana"

The Kona Hoss was the cheapest of the three reviewed, and it got a 7 out of 10 verdict. The only major negative was the suspension fork, but you could change it.