"Big" guy returning to cycling after many years off the bike...need some advice!

Robert_Nashvill

Sep 21, 2006
I’m not sure is this is the best area to post this but it seemed like a good place!

This is a bit embarrassing to write but I can get over it. :)

I am 52, 5’9” and 310lbs. For about 10 years; until my early 40’s, I bicycled a great deal – I commuted to work by bike 2-3 days a week and road on weekends doing an average of 300-400 miles per week. Although bicycling kept me in pretty good shape, I never really bicycled for the physical fitness aspects of it – I bicycled because I loved the experience of it.

I have never been thin no do I expect I ever will be - the least I’ve ever weighed was out of boot camp (USN) when I weighted 175. During the years I was cycling I hovered around 190.

I’m the kind of person that hates even taking aspirin for a headache but now I’m on a variety of meds for (thyroid, cholesterol, High BP and diabetes) and I’m tired of it – my doctor believes I can get off most or all the meds if I loose the weight and he’s given me the “Ok” to start bicycling again.

So here I am.

I know I’m picking a bad time of year to start cycling but at least with our mild weather in the Nashville area I know I can cycle through almost all of the winter months (I moved here from Ohio where I pretty much bicycled year round so I know if I did it there I can do it in middle Tennessee).

I have fairly good cross bike but what I don’t have are any cycling cloths the will fit me anymore. So, I’m wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has a decent selection of bicycle clothing that will fit me (I buy “3XL” shirts and usually a 52” waist in pants).

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I also appreciate hearing from anyone here who has had similar health issues and/or for any of you that have "been where I’ve been".

Thanks in advance for your input and insight.

Just to say that I wish you all the best. Take it easy, be progressive, listen to your body and most of all try to enjoy the experience.

I feel embarrassed when I was worried at being 5' 10" and 175 lbs:rolleyes:

Peter

Who's also 52 and down to 160lbs after 2 months of being back on the bike

keep us updated mate

Robert,

I'm 52 I live in Florida HOT'HOT. Your medical problems could be what you eat. You might be a diet soda drinker which is linked to several physical problems. ASPERTAME is poison. Causes MS symptoms , shooting pain,numbness in legs,cramps,vertigo,headakes,tinnitus,depression,anxiety attacks,blurred vision,memory loss. This product makes you fat. When exceeds 86 degreese F it becomes wood alcohol.[Eformaldehyde]. MSG has the same effect on blood sugar.They are both exitotoxins.
What helped me the most, dont drink CITY WATER. I was crippled for 2 years and was looking for help. I could't walk much less ride my bike. City water that is fluoridated contians [hydrofluoraslicic acid] FLUORIDE. I always thought it was good for my teeth . This poison gives you joint pain, leggs, lower back,also ages you. Also rots your teeth. I drank 2 gal. a day of this poison water for years until I was so crippled I had to quit my job. I went to sell trucks they let me use a scoter. Far cry from my HARO.
I didn't like there water so I starter to drink bottled water. After a year I didn't need the scooter. After 20 months I was able to return to my construction job. I have gone to all organic foods. I have not felt this good in 20 years.
The poison in our water is a toxic poison from the Phosphate Furtlizer ind. it also contains other poisons. Read the warning on your tooth paste.
Bottom line you are what you eat. Don't want to be so long but someone has to tell someone who will tell someone because the government agencys don't care. [fluorideaction.org] GOT ME BACK ON MY HARO.
I HOPE SOMETHING I SAID WILL HELP YOU PHYSICALY.
ROGER

I am 54 and started cycling seriously again after a 25 year lapse. I am 6'0", and in December, I was 265 pounds. Today, I am 191 pounds on my way to 180. I do not ever expect to be off antihypertensive medication. I was hypertensive when I was 18 years old and weighed 150 pounds. Even at 265 pounds, I did not have diabetes or elevated cholesterol, but by losing the weight, I hope to keep it that way.

During the winter months, I ride on the trainer (http://www.kurtkinetic.com/product_info.php/products_id/35) for an hour per day, three to four days per week. The problem with riding on the road in the winter is not the cold, but the darkness. In the winter it is dark when I go to work and it is dark when I get home, so I only ride on the road on the weekend from October through April. From May through September, I average about 100 miles per week on the road, and rarely touch the trainer. In addition to losing 74 pounds, my resting heart rate has gone from 80 to 54, and my waist has gone from 44" to 36".

Besides riding the bike, I have reduced the amount I eat. I really have not changed what I eat - just the quantity. I firmly believe that how many calories you take in is far more important than in what form they are ingested. That said, you can eat more fruits, vegetibles, and whole grains for the same amount of calories as you can fats and refined sugar. Remember, fat is 9 calories per gram, alcohol is 7 calories per gram, and protein and carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram. A lot of what is in fresh fruit, vegetables, and whole grains is fiber and water, which do not contribute to the calorie count. Watch out for added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, saturated fat, and trans fats (hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils). Other than that, I do not put any stock into what Roger posted regarding diet.

Roger Edge said:
Robert,

I'm 52 I live in Florida HOT'HOT. Your medical problems could be what you eat. You might be a diet soda drinker which is linked to several physical problems. ASPERTAME is poison. Causes MS symptoms , shooting pain,numbness in legs,cramps,vertigo,headakes,tinnitus,depression,anxiety attacks,blurred vision,memory loss. This product makes you fat. When exceeds 86 degreese F it becomes wood alcohol.[Eformaldehyde]. MSG has the same effect on blood sugar.They are both exitotoxins.
Thanks for the input, Roger.

I've never been a big fan of aspertame and stopped using it entirely when spelda came out...as far as I can tell, spelnda doesn't seem to have the helth concerns that have long been associates with aspertame. I've never had any specific problems with aspertame but I know quite a few people who are obviously alergic to it/have terrible reactions to it.

Have you heard anything about splenda I shoudl know about?

I do need to do a better job with my diet an am making changes there overall.

Thanks again!

RickF said:
I am 54 and started cycling seriously again after a 25 year lapse. I am 6'0", and in December, I was 265 pounds. Today, I am 191 pounds on my way to 180. I do not ever expect to be off antihypertensive medication. I was hypertensive when I was 18 years old and weighed 150 pounds. Even at 265 pounds, I did not have diabetes or elevated cholesterol, but by losing the weight, I hope to keep it that way.

Besides riding the bike, I have reduced the amount I eat. I really have not changed what I eat - just the quantity. I firmly believe that how many calories you take in is far more important than in what form they are ingested. That said, you can eat more fruits, vegetibles, and whole grains for the same amount of calories as you can fats and refined sugar. Remember, fat is 9 calories per gram, alcohol is 7 calories per gram, and protein and carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram. A lot of what is in fresh fruit, vegetables, and whole grains is fiber and water, which do not contribute to the calorie count. Watch out for added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, saturated fat, and trans fats (hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils). Other than that, I do not put any stock into what Roger posted regarding diet.
My doctor hasn't made any promises about the medications of course but my high BP started about four years after I stopped cycling (at about age 42)...pretty much the same with most of my other problems; all have come on in the last 10 years or less as my weight has climed and my doctor thinks that getting the weight off may well reverse most of my problems. Obviously, it's what I need to do whether it reverses my health issues or not.

Thanks again for the inpu!

do what you are comfortable with, and SLOWLY build - take it easy, small steps, be consistent, be committed and you might be surprised at the results. But it all starts and ends with you. You can’t worry about what others may think or say, and you can only make comparisons to yourself 2 weeks ago, or 2 months ago. Keep a log, and most importantly find a way to have fun.

Welcome back

HR

Robert,
My wife was looking up info on spelnda last night.Go to www.womentowomen.com. Or google splenda. It took 10 years for the truth to come out about aspertame. I use organic sugar cane sugar in my organic coffee.If there is one thing I do no it is, my diet. You can't google MSG,FLUORIDE,ASPERTAME,or SPELNDA without seeing the facts adout these poisons.
People in our government are stupid. There the ones controlling the cemicals that go into our food and water. Did you read the warning on your tooth paste box. They had to change the warning in 98 to say call poison control.
These are adictive cemicals. Just eat breakfast,lots of small meals to keep your digestive system working. Don't eat after 6:00 pm.
The FDA new vioxx would kill people 5 years before they pulled it.That is what my doctor had me take. I took it one month. Look at the comercials Merck is doing telling you how good they are.
I take Clinician's Choice[ pharmaceutical grade] super joint guardian.They are free of contaminants.
Food is loaded with cemicals so you will be addicted to it. It is what I like to call extream capitalism. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.
Robert I can ride a half pipe with my grandsons now and surf.
Remember I could not walk. If you can't eat all organic at least eat natural foods.Hydrolized protean creates MSG. It is hiden in everything. It makes you fat. Fast food is loaded.

I WISH SOMEONE HAD TOLD ME ABOUT THESE THINGS YEARS AGO,
Most people don't care and think you are a nut. I bet I feel better and can run faster than them now.I had to figure it all out for myself.

Try a mountian bike sometime it is highly addictive.

Thanks
Roger.