Big Guy seeking a Comfort Bike

WaterjetDude

Mar 5, 2011
Hi all,

I am big guy 6'0" 340 lbs. looking to drop the weight and get on a bike. I used to do quite a bit of biking, but haven't for about 10 years. Time to get back on the saddle.

I am going to stick to paved bike trails or roads 95% of the time. I have test rode the Trek Navigator 4.0 ($570), Giant Sedona ($375), and a Specialized Globe Carmel 3 ($490). Of the three, the Trek felt the most comfortable to me. I also liked the paddle-style shifter. With that said, the other two felt pretty darn good too. If the three were priced the same, I would likely buy the Trek, but I can't get past the price. Does it have better components to justify the price? Seems to me the other brands are reputable as well. I have considered taking a Raleigh Venture 3.5 or 4.5 for a ride before taking the plunge. At any rate, is there something I should look out for? Any recommedations? I am not opposed to the $570, or even more, if the Trek or some other recommeded bike from the forum is justifiable. Comfort and Reliability under my big butt are two two main purchase drivers.

Thank you All!

I feel your pain. I started off last April ('10) at 363 lbs (I am 75" tall) so a comfortable bike was a must. I had purchased a Fuji Thrill a few years ago and rode it off and on for a few years. Nothing consistent. I started the last week of April last year riding 25 minutes and worked up from there. I have since dropped to 215 (as of yesterday) and I am just about done with a full rehab of my old rode bike that I used to ride regularly before I gained all of the weight (long story). Looking forward to getting back on the road bike after nearly a year on the MTB. I am signed up for my first century ride and a 200+ mile ride later this year.

You need to find the bike that fits you and is going to keep you getting back on it faithfully. Keep at it and don't get discouraged by fatigue or seat pain...it all goes away with consistent riding.

It has been 20 years since I was this small and I have another 35 I am going to lose over the next few months getting me back to 185 - which will feel a heckuva lot better for the long rides.

I really appreciate the words of encouragement. Your timing was impeccable. I decided at 2pm today to pull the trigger on the Trek Navigator 3.0. It just seemed to fit me the best. I see you are in Western Washington, as am I. It was a nice day for a ride so the kids and I went out right before dinner time. Holy cow....I was huffing and puffing for sure. The kicker of it, I grew up in Illinois. We didn't have hills. That is obviously not the case in Western Washington (I live in Gig Harbor). They looked pretty small until I realized just how quicly that momentum I built leading up to the hill fizzled.

I'm getting up early and going to hit it again.

WaterJetDude,

That's a nice ride and should give you the reliable performance you need to sustain a consistent workout.

I live just across the bridge from you. The hills in our area are what makes riding both a challenge and enjoyable. Remember that you're going to have to push through the soreness...on those days where you feel like you are just too sore to ride, take the time to stretch and limber up during your pre-ride preparation. The lactic acid will subside to a degree and you'll be able to get moving.

You should also pull the trigger on a good trainer so that you won't miss a scheduled ride day due to inclement weather (I rode a ton during this winter in my garage). I ride 6-7 times/week now and I don't make excuses to not ride. Just keep your momentum and establish a good rhythm and get your rides in each week. Be sure to rest as well.

Adjust your food intake to a more normal level as you lose the weight. I look at this from the perspective that I had to work to eat so many calories in order to maintain my weight at the level I did (combined with my lack of activity). Now, I am eating enough to keep my metabolic rate working in concert with my activity. I lose a couple pounds each week now (doesn't sound like much...but it is headway) and I just keep feeling better as each pound fades away, replaced by muscle tone. It also helps to see clothes sizes diminishing as well - I've gone from a 54 to 38 (and some 36) pants. Very rewarding. Just give yourself realistic goals - a year is reasonable (unlike the Biggest Loser show where they work all day, each day to drop incredible amounts of weight in brief periods).

Keep it up!!!