Big Guy Seeks Info on Bikes/Rims

OntarioBrandon

May 21, 2007
I am a 24 year old male from the London Ontario Area. I went from being first bike in the Terry Fox Run to the guy who got lazy now I am paying for it. I weight 400 pounds now. I am finding it hard to find information/bikes for bigger people. The problem i have had in the past is rims. They all seem to bend or go off center as the local shop said. I have tried steel rims and need to know if there are options out there for both rims and bikes. Any info will be awsome as i really would love to get into cycling again as i was before. Please Help
Brandon

OntarioBrandon said:
I am a 24 year old male from the London Ontario Area. I went from being first bike in the Terry Fox Run to the guy who got lazy now I am paying for it. I weight 400 pounds now. I am finding it hard to find information/bikes for bigger people. The problem i have had in the past is rims. They all seem to bend or go off center as the local shop said. I have tried steel rims and need to know if there are options out there for both rims and bikes. Any info will be awsome as i really would love to get into cycling again as i was before. Please Help
Brandon

Hope I don't get banished from this site, but www.bikeforums.net has a lot of threads dealing with BIG guys like yourself...

Enjoy!!!

OntarioBrandon said:
Brandon
Try a custom. Spicer Cycles is reasonable on price and good quality. He might be able to overbuild something for you

OntarioBrandon said:
Brandon
Hi,

I have had weight issues in the past as well. To be honest its somthing you usually have to fight your whole life with. Im down to about 220 at 6'3. I would suggest you go see a doctor before you start out cycling. You might hurt yourself. I started walking on a tread mills (increasing incline) and high rep weights, as well as a strick diet.(Quiting pop alone you'll lose 15lbs.) I am serious though, go see a doctor!!! I also spent close to $2000.00 on personal trainers at the gym. When you lose the weight you'll feel great again. Way more energy!!!

Good luck!!

Mike

PS.

Now riding this.

I am 6-3 280. Have had failure of one Alessa and two Sun Mammoth aluminum rims. I am seriously considering a Husky or Worksman industrial bike.

Bike shop guru says the combination my 280, and www.airfreetires.com Unidirectional +30% tire kills aluminum rims which are less resilient than steel. (He sells lots of tires and tubes, and fixes lots of flats.)

http://www.huskybicycles.com/index2.html

click on BICYCLES 19 inch frame HD-120 rated for 400 lb rider plus 50 lbs

click on PARTS
click on WHEELS go to second page
the HD-120 wheelset Shimano one speed coaster brake for under $100