Big Guy Wheels!

Wanna Tri

Aug 25, 2005
Ok Folks, I need help --- I am buying a Giant TCR AERO 2, (2003), but I am concerned about the Shimano 16 spoke wheels.

Being 6'1", 265, I am looking for a STRONG tire - weight is NOT A CONCERN -- strength is!

I am a STRONG rider - that attacks hills out of saddle, and I have been doing this for months on my MTB -- now that I am making the transistion -- I need some help!

I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Bob

If price is no object and you can get ahold of a good wheel builder, build up some wheels on Phil Wood 36 spoke hubs, with high grade stainless steel spokes. I suspect the builder would give best advice as to rims. Another alternative which I saw on the forums was the use of tandem wheels, or touring wheels. Just some ideas, I have no experience in this area.

http://www.philwood.com/

Wanna Tri said:
Ok Folks, I need help --- I am buying a Giant TCR AERO 2, (2003), but I am concerned about the Shimano 16 spoke wheels.

Being 6'1", 265, I am looking for a STRONG tire - weight is NOT A CONCERN -- strength is!

I am a STRONG rider - that attacks hills out of saddle, and I have been doing this for months on my MTB -- now that I am making the transistion -- I need some help!

I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Bob
Talk to Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com - I've never purchased from him, but I know people who have, and they have been VERY happy with him. His prices are reasonable, and his wheels are nice. I'd give him a call, tell him your weight, and he'll be able to build something that'll support you.

The recommendation to talk to Mike at oddsandendos.com is exactly my thoughts too. I have a set of his wheels, and for the money they are extremely nice. My suggestion to you is to to use at least 32 spokes for both wheels, possibly 36 for the rear if you can. Heavier rims will hold up better in the long run, as a lot of a wheels strength can be from the rims. I've always had good luck with Velocity's Deep V rims--I find that a 32 hole set of rims with Ultegra (or other) hubs, and 14g spokes is about as tough as they get--literally bomb proof!!

ive recently brought a bike off what could be described as a big guy who was using mavic ksryium sl ssc wheels which are light but also strong so they might be worth looking into