BIg guys first crack at a 100km session

Newtothegame

Sep 23, 2009
A freind and myslef are what is considered Clydes on bikes, both at around 105kg's each.
we have both be regularly doing 2 midweek session for a month or so, of about 45 km and then a 60-70km one on the weekend.

On saturday we are planning to try and break the 100km mark, fora few different reasons, however we have idea about fueling for this distance.
Our normal rides only normally last for 3 hours max, and this is fuelled on 2 bottles of gatorade and some cereal bars/ Mars bars, we are planning on taking about 5 hours for the 100km and realise we need to take this more seriuosly about what we are putting in our bodies.

We are in training to complete the London to Paris in september, so we are watching our food intake to drop a few pounds, however on these rides we just want to make sure we are eating enough, of the right stuff..

one last thing, what is a good after ride meal. when we finsh we are starving, and latley been heading down to a nice frnech Cafe with our other halfs, however we know this is not the best idea.
just looking to find out what other hungry, real size men eat after they train.

thanks for any advice you can give..

I'm a bit larger at 118kg and enjoy a 100km ride most weekends, my fuel stops involve lots of water (I plan my route to include parks, marinas or convenience stores accordingly) my nornal turn around is at 52km where I pick up two quarts of cold gatoraide one to drink at that time and one to consume along the return. I will often include a banana plus a power bar. If I get off early I will include a bagel, peanut butter and coffee at 18km. After my ride I love fish tacos and a pint. Living in South Florida does have it's benefits, nice weather (except for the occasional hurricane). Although I would love to say that I have done a London to Paris ride, my plan is to do a Miami to Key West ride in one day, (maybe next year).

When you haven't done 100k yet it may seem like a daunting ride... but really it isn't that big a deal unless conditions are really challenging (heat particularly or lots of hills). So don't overthink things too much. A couple bananas, an energy bar or two, perhaps a few gels and you should be fine. Have a burger at mid ride if you want but don't have three burgers! :) Plenty of water should be taken periodically and don't oversupply yourself with Gatorade... nothing tastes worse than warm Gatorade.

When you are done just eat normally and try to take some protein in very soon after you stop... preferably within an hour.

Pace yourself along the way and enjoy the ride! Bon Voyage!

Newtothegame said:
A freind and myslef are what is considered Clydes on bikes, both at around 105kg's each.
we have both be regularly doing 2 midweek session for a month or so, of about 45 km and then a 60-70km one on the weekend.

On saturday we are planning to try and break the 100km mark, fora few different reasons, however we have idea about fueling for this distance.
Our normal rides only normally last for 3 hours max, and this is fuelled on 2 bottles of gatorade and some cereal bars/ Mars bars, we are planning on taking about 5 hours for the 100km and realise we need to take this more seriuosly about what we are putting in our bodies.

We are in training to complete the London to Paris in september, so we are watching our food intake to drop a few pounds, however on these rides we just want to make sure we are eating enough, of the right stuff..

one last thing, what is a good after ride meal. when we finsh we are starving, and latley been heading down to a nice frnech Cafe with our other halfs, however we know this is not the best idea.
just looking to find out what other hungry, real size men eat after they train.

thanks for any advice you can give..

Mars bars should be considered 'emergency' food - when you run out of gas and 'bonk' then mars bars will hit the spot - quickly but you really shouldn't be getting to that phase.

I had 10 years off the bike and my weight went from 145lbs to almost 230. What I ate and drank on the bike when I resumed training wasn't much different than when I raced.

A good carbohydrate drink is recommended. I dig Hammer Perpetuem for long rides over two hours. The orange flavor is great and if it's a little cooler out and you know you won't be drinking a bottle an hour then you can mix is stronger and spread a bottle out over 90 minutes. There's a whole thing about mixing 'multi-hour' bottles on Hammers website.

Cereal bars are good for a nibble too. There are some sport specific ones by companies like Clif Bar and Hammer as well as the usual consumer brands. It's all down to your own personal tastes, I prefer chew bars rather than crunchy.

Bananas are a great source of fuel, very easy to unwrap and come in a handy biodegradable wrapper ;) Handy for throwing the skin in the ditch - which isn't something I'd recommend for anything else.

There's also the whole array of gels and 'shot blocks' - basic high carbohydrate goop designed for quick energy.

On basic rule of thumb is figure out what you're eating and don't consume more than about 300calories per hour while you're riding, especially if you decide to push the pace a little. If you do eat alot and start feeling a bit of gut rot, gas or stomach ache, ease off the food for a while and sip water. Your body can't process food as efficiently when riding as it can when sitting at the dining room table...

If you finish a ride and you feel like you could eat a rotting horse then you've not eaten enough while out on the bike.