Big handlebars

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Randy O'Neal, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Randy O'Neal

    Randy O'Neal Guest

    Hey, I rode a 62 cm LeMond Nevada City the other day that had, in my opinion, great handlebars.
    These things are huge - 46 cm center to center, and the reach and drop all seemed just about what I
    want. However, I can't seem to find the bars anywhere. LeMond doesn't sell the bars separately. I've
    been digging through about all of the bike web sites and have been checking with lbs's in the area
    to find something comparable. Thus far, the best I've been able to come up with is a Ritchey Pro
    that comes in 46 cm center to center, but when it arrived, I found that the drop seems kinda shallow
    at 144mm when you figure it is an anatomic bar (maybe it is OK; I guess I thought it should be a bit
    deeper)and the reach definitely seems short at 82mm.

    I'm going back to the shop where I rode the LeMond to find out what the reach and drop are for
    the bars on the Nevada City. In the meantime, are there comparable 46 cm wide bars out on the
    market that have a longer reach and/or deeper drop, or am I simply misinformed and looking for
    something I'm not going to find? I'm 6'2", riding a 62 cm Motobecane SprinTour and the bars are
    simply too small. As the wheelbase on this bike is a bit compact at 1000 mm, I really don't want
    to give up the reach by going to a shorter-reach bar. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance...

    Randy [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Randy O'Neal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey, I rode a 62 cm LeMond Nevada City the other day that had, in my opinion, great handlebars.
    > These things are huge - 46 cm center to center, and the reach and drop all seemed just about what
    > I want. However, I can't seem to find the bars anywhere. LeMond doesn't sell the bars separately.
    > I've been digging through about all of the bike web sites and have been checking with lbs's in the
    > area to find something comparable. Thus far, the best I've been able to come up with is a Ritchey
    > Pro that comes in 46 cm center to center, but when it arrived, I found that the drop seems kinda
    > shallow at 144mm when you figure it is an anatomic bar (maybe it is OK; I guess I thought it
    > should be a bit deeper)and the reach definitely seems short at 82mm.
    >
    > I'm going back to the shop where I rode the LeMond to find out what the reach and drop are for
    > the bars on the Nevada City. In the meantime, are there comparable 46 cm wide bars out on the
    > market that have a longer reach and/or deeper drop, or am I simply misinformed and looking for
    > something I'm not going to find? I'm 6'2", riding a 62 cm Motobecane SprinTour and the bars are
    > simply too small. As the wheelbase on this bike is a bit compact at 1000 mm, I really don't
    > want to give up the reach by going to a shorter-reach bar. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > Randy [email protected]

    Have you talked to the dealer to see if he can get the bars that are on the Lemond from Trek? He may
    be able to order you the exact bar you are looking for...

    Mike

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Randy O'Neal) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey, I rode a 62 cm LeMond Nevada City the other day that had, in my opinion, great handlebars.
    > These things are huge - 46 cm center to center, and the reach and drop all seemed just about what
    > I want. However, I can't seem to find the bars anywhere. LeMond doesn't sell the bars separately.
    > I've been digging through about all of the bike web sites and have been checking with lbs's in the
    > area to find something comparable. Thus far, the best I've been able to come up with is a Ritchey
    > Pro that comes in 46 cm center to center, but when it arrived, I found that the drop seems kinda
    > shallow at 144mm when you figure it is an anatomic bar (maybe it is OK; I guess I thought it
    > should be a bit deeper)and the reach definitely seems short at 82mm.
    >
    > I'm going back to the shop where I rode the LeMond to find out what the reach and drop are for
    > the bars on the Nevada City. In the meantime, are there comparable 46 cm wide bars out on the
    > market that have a longer reach and/or deeper drop, or am I simply misinformed and looking for
    > something I'm not going to find? I'm 6'2", riding a 62 cm Motobecane SprinTour and the bars are
    > simply too small. As the wheelbase on this bike is a bit compact at 1000 mm, I really don't
    > want to give up the reach by going to a shorter-reach bar. Any ideas?

    Here are a couple of 46cm nitto bars that you may like: Nitto 176 "dream" bar
    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16081.html Nitto 177 "noodle" bar
    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16111.html Nitto "dirtdrop" bar
    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16005.html

  4. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    [email protected] (bfd) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Randy O'Neal) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hey, I rode a 62 cm LeMond Nevada City the other day that had, in my opinion, great handlebars.
    > > These things are huge - 46 cm center to center, and the reach and drop all seemed just about
    > > what I want. However, I can't seem to find the bars anywhere. LeMond doesn't sell the bars
    > > separately. I've been digging through about all of the bike web sites and have been checking
    > > with lbs's in the area to find something comparable. Thus far, the best I've been able to come
    > > up with is a Ritchey Pro that comes in 46 cm center to center, but when it arrived, I found that
    > > the drop seems kinda shallow at 144mm when you figure it is an anatomic bar (maybe it is OK; I
    > > guess I thought it should be a bit deeper)and the reach definitely seems short at 82mm.
    > >
    > > I'm going back to the shop where I rode the LeMond to find out what the reach and drop are
    > > for the bars on the Nevada City. In the meantime, are there comparable 46 cm wide bars out on
    > > the market that have a longer reach and/or deeper drop, or am I simply misinformed and
    > > looking for something I'm not going to find? I'm 6'2", riding a 62 cm Motobecane SprinTour
    > > and the bars are simply too small. As the wheelbase on this bike is a bit compact at 1000 mm,
    > > I really don't want to give up the reach by going to a shorter-reach bar. Any ideas?
    > >
    > Here are a couple of 46cm nitto bars that you may like: Nitto 176 "dream" bar
    > http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16081.html Nitto 177 "noodle" bar
    > http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16111.html Nitto "dirtdrop" bar
    > http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16005.html

    i have a set of the widest nitto "noodle" bars that i purchased from rivendell and really like them.
    they have a shallower forward ramp than most bars that makes them really comfortable when riding on
    the hoods. smokey strodtman