Big increase in FTP possible? [or just a freak ride???]

IanTr

Jan 5, 2009
Hi there.

I had a proper max-out go at my 44k ride home today. Went hard all the way, HRavg 84% of max, no silly NP-buster stylee sprints. No calibration issues. Looking at my data, I can see NP of 286w for the best 60mins of my ride. Is there any reason that I shouldn't use this number as my FTP?

I'm aware of the 7DS etc but have tended to use 60min NP as its historically given me the clearest and most consistent results. This one however is a clear 30w above what I thought my FTP was previously. A much bigger jump than I've seen before!

So, is it possible to have the odd freak ride where you exhibit an FTP far higher than you are really capable of? Or is it just that I haven't been trying hard enough before and 286w (which would get me close to 4w/kg) truly is where I'm at?

Thoughts / comments???

IanTr->I am interested how the folks chime in as where I am the NP will always be out of whack with my AP. IME, when I go on my CT, I notice I am holding my NP number. Meaning like today I did an NP of ~250 in CP and on my CT I can hold about the same for an hour. I would say if you have access to a road or trainer see if you can hold your NP for an hour i.e. ~280. If you do than you know you got the right number.

One last thing I forgot again IME I find in the honeymoon stage of using the powertap you can get those type of increases but after a while the increases come further apart and not as big.

-js

Thanks Jsirabella. Unfortunately I could NEVER summon the motivation to ride that hard for 60mins on a trainer!

Originally Posted by IanTr .

... Looking at my data, I can see NP of 286w for the best 60mins of my ride. Is there any reason that I shouldn't use this number as my FTP?...
FWIW, I tend to reset FTP as a result of clear AP results for an hour or when I see recurring patterns. Most of the time I track FTP through AP for long Threshold intervals in the 20-30 minute range but even then I wouldn't bump up FTP on a single higher than expected number. About the only time I'll reset my FTP upwards based on a single ride is if I actually ride 55-60 minutes with an AP above my current FTP (and PM is both pre-ride zeroed and calibration checks out).

I'd take today as a strong clue that your FTP may have risen recently but I wouldn't adjust your FTP estimate until you see a pattern of higher power numbers in training or racing.

-Dave

Originally Posted by IanTr .

Thoughts / comments???
1. Can you repeat the effort? Large one off increases in power don't just "happen" and not be repeatable, at least reasonably closely.

2. If not, then possibly a power meter data issue, such as a torque zero not being properly set.

3. If so, then FTP has gone up and maybe a little testing to nail it if you want to do that and are not well versed in knowing from training / racing data what it likely is (e.g. I have a pretty fair idea from my racing/training data how my FTP is going).

4. NP from a hard hour is likely to be within 5% of FTP, with FTP <= NP from a very hard hour

The truth is that strength increases come slowly and steadily. But one discovers them by doing unexpected rides.

An example: I had been riding the same hill for some time at 200w for the most part of the hill and 350-450w on the ramps. One day in an effort to catch some people I did 300w for the most part of the hill and 600+w on the ramps. Since then I have been doing 250w for the most part of the hill and 500-650w on the ramps.

I expect that you will be riding closer to your unexpected power than your previous power. Kick your FTP up.