Big Island hawaii by bike

Travelbike

Guest
Came back from the Big Island of Hawaii to ride around the island. As usual, it takes a lot longer
to write everything up. We've finally finished it. You can find the story at our site as listed
below. Link is on the upper top right side.

hope you like it.

J Gaerlan - Gaerlan Custom Cycles http://www.gaerlan.com "home of travel bikes and bike travels"
(415)362-3866: (415)677-8943 fax [email protected]

[email protected] (Travelbike) wrote:
> Came back from the Big Island of Hawaii to ride around the island. As usual, it takes a lot
> longer to write everything up. We've finally finished it. You can find the story at our site as
> listed below. Link is on the upper top right side.
>
> hope you like it.

Nice travelogue! On the first page of Day 5 (Hilo-Honoka'a,
http://www.gaerlan.com/bigisland/day5.htm) I'd note that the metal-grate bridge out of Hilo on the
main highway isn't a requirement. There are 2 other bridges a couple blocks away (easily visible
from the highway bridge if you look upstream) which have normal pavement. Taking one of those puts
you into the Wainaku neighborhood just inland of the highway, and Wainaku Ave comes out to the main
highway a couple miles out of town, just before the cemetary on the left.

The 4-mile Onomea Bay scenic route is indeed nice (I just did it a couple days on an out-and-back
~20 mile ride from here with a gross weight of 280+ (that's 215 - and dropping - of me, 25-30 of
bike, and 40+ of a kid seat with my daughter in it!) and yeah, the narrow bridges along the Hamakua
coast are my least favorite thing. :)

-Dan

--
If you spam this address, you (obviously) agree to pay me $100/spam.