Big Jersey's

Al3x

Aug 13, 2009
Been thinking of buying a riding Jersey... is there a perfered brand for big guys. Using the sizing charts on-line I think I'm gonna be a XXXL.

I noticed that when I was 227lb (5ft11) that Descente clothing tended to be a little looser than most brands. It's good quality too.

swampy1970 said:
I noticed that when I was 227lb (5ft11) that Descente clothing tended to be a little looser than most brands. It's good quality too.
I just purchased a Colnago (I think, too lazy to check right now) XL jersey that SHOULD have fit - but apparently my shoulders are too damn big. The 44 chest is snug but not uncomfortably so and the waist/stomach is just fine, but no dice with the shoulders.

Bottom line is I'm starting to think it might be worth the premium a bike shop charges to be SURE the jersey fits at this point in time.

Chavez said:
I just purchased a Colnago (I think, too lazy to check right now) XL jersey that SHOULD have fit - but apparently my shoulders are too damn big. The 44 chest is snug but not uncomfortably so and the waist/stomach is just fine, but no dice with the shoulders.

Bottom line is I'm starting to think it might be worth the premium a bike shop charges to be SURE the jersey fits at this point in time.

Yeah, I never really subscribed to the whole online ordering of clothes... I like to make sure they fit well.

I have had great success with the Primal brand in xxxl and 4x. I have been shopping almost exclusively at Love2Pedal.com. When I was at 250# the 3x's still were not skin tight.
Al3x said:
Been thinking of buying a riding Jersey... is there a perfered brand for big guys. Using the sizing charts on-line I think I'm gonna be a XXXL.

officerdare said:
I have had great success with the Primal brand in xxxl and 4x. I have been shopping almost exclusively at Love2Pedal.com. When I was at 250# the 3x's still were not skin tight.

I have 2 primal jerseys and can vouch for the quality, although I found them to be a wee bit small for the sizing. If you go with them, I would go with the next size up from what you normally wear.

I'm a BIG guy at 310# (like 56 inch gut). I ended up buying a Mt. Borah loose jersey and i love it.

I have a 48" chest, and a 38-40" waist (just for reference).

I've found that with Nalini jerseys (with "Euro" sizing), even a XXXL is a bit too snug, or on the borderline. They actually make a XXXXL, but they're hard to find.

I also have a Canari jersey (I think that is the name - their logo looks like a little crown), which was quite reasonably-priced, and nicely-made. It uses sizing that is basically the same as US clothes sizing, so that an XL fit me fine.

Purchased another jersey at a bike swap, XL - fits just fine.

So I have 4 jerseys, all XL, 3 of them fit fine, 1 is tight. The tight one is a Cavalo, not a Colnago, but a friend of mine gave me a great rule of thumb - "if it's Italian, go up two sizes"

BE careful of charts, THEY LIE!!!!! TALK to someone call 800# on form/site if need be