Big Legs (calves) and cadence

Drock

Jul 15, 2003
I have read that if you have big legs that higher cadence in the bike (100-110) will not be benificial. That you should work a lower cadence (85-95) due to the fact that you are moving more mass with each pedal stroke thus requiring more energy. Well I have big calves, taped at over 18 inches unflexed (one close to 19). At 6'2" and 180 pounds I have popeye legs, if I had normal sized calves (proportionally) I would surely be closer to 170lbs. Should I work off of a lower cadence or higher?

Thanks for the help! :D

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. Comfort and efficiency are the keys. If it more comfortable for you to spin a high cadence then do so. If you are better in a higher gear and spinning slower then that is your path. Your body WILL let you know. Go out and experiment some.

Drock said:
I have read that if you have big legs that higher cadence in the bike (100-110) will not be benificial.

Where on earth did you come across this? Can you post it here??

ed073 said:
Where on earth did you come across this? Can you post it here??

It was just from a post in another forum... however I did make some kind of sense right? I mean bigger legs are tougher to keep turning at 105 cadence. Wouldnt it be to my advantage to turn a bigger gear at a slower cadence?

why don't you simply just ride at whichever cadence feels most efficient for YOU????

really, think about what i said. you shouldn't have to rely on what someone says is the "correct" cadence.

Drock said:
It was just from a post in another forum... however I did make some kind of sense right? I mean bigger legs are tougher to keep turning at 105 cadence. Wouldnt it be to my advantage to turn a bigger gear at a slower cadence?

Dodgy post.

the guys with the biggest guns in the world turn the pedals the fastest.

Tournant
Eadie
Rousseau
Dajka
Feidler

ed073 said:
Dodgy post.

the guys with the biggest guns in the world turn the pedals the fastest.

Tournant
Eadie
Rousseau
Dajka
Feidler

But only for 2.5 laps or 625m (kieran) at the most. :)

Edit: Add another 125m for the team (Olympic) sprint for the #3 rider.

Well I'm with ya on that one, being that I am 6'2" and my calves run 17", so very similar. I think the biggest problem is not cadence but aerodynamics. Personally to avoid the serious drag problem I have created special cycling pants which have a foam wedge on the front and back of the calves, the upper legs are at enough of an angle to give downforce for the corners so I dont aero them out. Plus I find a 6mph speed boost by attaching a road cone to the front of my helmet, be sure to cut off the square base and a couple holes to see out of though.

no in all seriousness though, I am a big guy too (state above, and I weigh about 230lbs) and my cadence changes depending on my mood and what "feels" (not nessisarily IS) strongest, and I do typically pedal around 90 rpm, I think. If my girlfriend is riding with me I pedal slowly (she's a legs girl) ;)
see what cadence works after 10 miles, if you can mostly hold it that long, thats probably right, OR, just dont think about it. Us bigger guys can *often* apply more torque and power to the pedals per stroke per weight than smaller guys, and often the increased weight of our legs does make slower pedaling work better, but then again look at the track sprinters.... anyone got a high speed video camera to record their cadences?