Big Legs!

peterwillcock

Apr 10, 2006
Ok. I've been riding bikes for many years now, but never really took it too seriously. I only ever did it for a bit of fun and to enjoy the fresh air! I got a great deal on a top end bike from a friend of mine and now want to pursue the sport as competitively as possible.

Here's my problem though! I've always done "power" sports that involved serious lower body strength (rugby, soccer, basketball etc), and as a result, I have huge thighs and calfs. As I have gotten faster and fitter on the bike, I have started to do more and more climbing but I am worried that this kind of training is going to make my legs even bigger. I see a lot of the top competitors with very muscular but slender legs. If i keep climbing, will my legs slim down or continue to grow?!!

Any training advice would come in useful here. Thanks!

Peter

It is really hard to tell since all people's bodys are effected differently by different types of training.

I've looked at the Pro Tour cyclists and most of them have muscular legs--but they aren't large by any stretch when compared to those of the typical body builder. Assuming you're cycling as part of an all-around fitness program I would expect your body to slim down (legs included).

--Steve

peterwillcock said:
Ok. I've been riding bikes for many years now, but never really took it too seriously. I only ever did it for a bit of fun and to enjoy the fresh air! I got a great deal on a top end bike from a friend of mine and now want to pursue the sport as competitively as possible.

Here's my problem though! I've always done "power" sports that involved serious lower body strength (rugby, soccer, basketball etc), and as a result, I have huge thighs and calfs. As I have gotten faster and fitter on the bike, I have started to do more and more climbing but I am worried that this kind of training is going to make my legs even bigger. I see a lot of the top competitors with very muscular but slender legs. If i keep climbing, will my legs slim down or continue to grow?!!

Peter
Soccer and basketball "power sports" in what way exactly. Power is strength times speed...dunno how soccer and basketball require more of these qualities than other sports. Anyhoo I doubt playing basketball or soccer will have contributed greatly to your large legs its just natural...plenty of skinny football/ basketball players aswell.

Cycling will most likely cut down severly on all the muscle you dont need for cycling eg. biceps, triceps, abs, back & chest muscles in particular whereas your legs should hold there shape or increase slightly in size. Your body fat should decrease if you ride 400km's a week and dont hog down food so you will see more definition.

As far as climbing goes I wouldn't worry about it...Uphill sprints may increase muscle size but normal paced climbing shouldn't give you hypertrophy.
The only way to increase muscle size via cycling is to use your body at extreme intensities on the bike, recreational cyclists will not see muscle gain whereas the racing cyclist should IMO.

hope it all makes sense 4 ya.

peterwillcock said:

Peter

Hi Peter,

first of all I'm not an expert, all that I'll say is just my opinion.

I think that if you like to slim down your legs you must work on cadence more than in force, that is to say, always keep your cadence high. If you are climbing and you are at a low cadence, making a lot of force, your legs will increase your size.

I suggest you to measure your legs to determinate the effect of the workout you are doing.

Best regards (sorry by my poor english, I speak spanish)

Marcelo

peterwillcock said:

Peter
Here's a thought. You should hope that your quads, hams and calves get larger and more developed. Why? Bigger muscles burn more calories at rest. This is an excellent way to burn fat without having to do anything. Too many pear shaped people spend way too much time on treadmills when they should be bodybuilding as the extra muscle mass will go a long way toward upping their BMR - i.e. they should grow their way out of the fat!

If you're not going to be cycling competitively, then the extra lean mass isn't going to hurt you at all. And chances are, as another poster has stated, your legs are probably a by product of your genetics rather than playing rugby or basketball.

P.S. I'm not suggesting that you are fat or anything. I can't tell from this side of the monitor.

No bodybuilders were harmed typing this post.

Doctor Morbius said:
Here's a thought. You should hope that your quads, hams and calves get larger and more developed. Why? Bigger muscles burn more calories at rest.

Just how many calories does one burn each day with an extra few pounds or so of muscle? I read about this a few years ago and it wasn't much, but the gym owners would not like you to know this. Any specifics?

WarrenG said:
Just how many calories does one burn each day with an extra few pounds or so of muscle? I read about this a few years ago and it wasn't much, but the gym owners would not like you to know this. Any specifics?
I don't know the specifics. Who cares about a pound here and there anyway? I'm looking to add 20 to 30 lbs of lean tissue to my frame in the next 2 to 3 years doing leg and back training. I've already added 10 in the past 9 or 10 months (actually less).

I went to see my doctor yesterday for the usual sinus infections I get all the time. I haven't gained any weight since December, but I've added just under 1/2 inch to each arm and the same to each leg. Just started training legs in March. I haven't been watching my diet so the extra lean tissue is burning away some flab.

All of this is anecdotal. Can't provide any reasearch. Shouldn't have to. Large muscular people burn more calories at rest due to a higher BMR.

WarrenG said:

Im pretty sure it's 7 cals per lb of muscle or pretty close. better of doing cardio to burn off the lbs IMO. gym owners always push that BS gain to burn :rolleyes:

zaskar said:
Im pretty sure it's 7 cals per lb of muscle or pretty close. better of doing cardio to burn off the lbs IMO. gym owners always push that BS gain to burn :rolleyes:

That sounds right about the calories, and yeah, they want you to visit frequently so you think you're getting your money's worth, and it helps out their "personal trainers".

I believe that training to gain lean mass impacts the voluntary activities of the BMR. Lean mass is more metabolically active than fat so it may increase basal energy output. So in a sense this is true.

The only way to gain and to keep lean mass is to exercise or stimulate the muscles. Otherwise you will atrophy.

Either you are active and stimulating muscle tissue

Or

You are sendentary and as far as I know about physiology when you are sendentary you will atrophy.

So from my understanding lean mass may increase the voluntary activities of the BMR, but it is the activity to stimulate muscle tissue that has more of an effect.

If you say gym owners are marketing/promoting these gimmiks yes they are and they are valid promotions.

Just as I would recommend or promote any sedentary person pick up some type of activity be it walking, weight lifting, cycling, running or other activities that stimulate hypertrophy and burn calories rather than be sendentary and atrophy. The body composition will hopefullly change for the better and the effect is more dramatic as the effort levels reasonably increase in both nutrition and stimulation.