Big man looking for bike recommendations

Phdesq2b

Guest
Hi all,

I'm 6'5", 260 lbs., and looking for a bike that will carry me through an IM distance. A few years
(and a few pounds) ago, I got fitted for and was looking at buying a custom-made frame. At the time,
Litespeed frames seemed like the way to go.

Unfortunately, I have not kept up with the "latest and greatest" in tri technology since '99.
Therefore, I'm looking for advice about what kind of frames and manufacturers to consider. Your help
and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Fat Boy (who can really move when he wants to!!!)

I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs and ride a Softride. Darryl Haley (ex-NFL lineman) also rode a Softride at IMH,
and he had to clock it at a good 300 lbs and 6'8". You would want the extended seat bracket and it
will fit you great.

George

"Phdesq2b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm 6'5", 260 lbs., and looking for a bike that will carry me through an
IM
> distance. A few years (and a few pounds) ago, I got fitted for and was
looking
> at buying a custom-made frame. At the time, Litespeed frames seemed like
the
> way to go.
>
> Unfortunately, I have not kept up with the "latest and greatest" in tri technology since '99.
> Therefore, I'm looking for advice about what kind
of
> frames and manufacturers to consider. Your help and/or recommendations
would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fat Boy (who can really move when he wants to!!!)

George, you should definitely buy a Kestrel

......NOT :)

How about a Ti bike like Lightspeed? Very strong and forgiving. If this isn't in your price range
I'd suggest a quality alum frame such as a Cannondale. Make sure you go to somebody who knows how to
fit properly.

"George Ball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs and ride a Softride. Darryl Haley (ex-NFL lineman) also rode a Softride at
> IMH, and he had to clock it at a good 300 lbs and 6'8". You would want the extended seat bracket
> and it will fit you great.
>
> George
>

> "Phdesq2b" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm 6'5", 260 lbs., and looking for a bike that will carry me through an
> IM
> > distance. A few years (and a few pounds) ago, I got fitted for and was
> looking
> > at buying a custom-made frame. At the time, Litespeed frames seemed like
> the
> > way to go.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I have not kept up with the "latest and greatest" in tri technology since '99.
> > Therefore, I'm looking for advice about what kind
> of
> > frames and manufacturers to consider. Your help and/or recommendations
> would
> > be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Fat Boy (who can really move when he wants to!!!)

[email protected] (Chris Maginn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> George, you should definitely buy a Kestrel
>
> ......NOT :)
>
> How about a Ti bike like Lightspeed? Very strong and forgiving. If this isn't in your price range
> I'd suggest a quality alum frame such as a Cannondale. Make sure you go to somebody who knows how
> to fit properly.

Ti has a lot to be said for it, especially the higher end framesets. (Lower end ones will have a lot
of flex for larger and heavier riders, especially around the BB). Ti is nearly indestructible, as
well as very lightweight and vibration dampening.

However, my personal recommendation (being a larger, heavier guy myself) is carbon. IMHO carbon is
the best ride out there. Very smooth, very light. Now, remember that not all carbon frames are the
same. Some are made to last, while some (Trek, for instance!) seem to show the wear very quickly,
especially for larger riders. For a high quality carbon frame at a great price, check out the Calfee
(www.calfeedesign.com). The Luna has a 10 year warranty, and is much less than most ti bikes. They
also make the Tetra Tri (25 year warranty!)

I can help you, my son. Send me an e-mail in private.

Fr. G