Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'

Anth

Guest
http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/detnews.asp?articleid=21870&sectionid=
Pfizer Inc will plead guilty to criminal charges and pay $430 million in
fines to settle charges that a company it bought four years ago illegally
promoted non-approved uses for a drug by flying doctors to lavish resorts
and paying them hefty speakers' fees to tout it.

The settlement with the world's largest pharmaceutical company over the
company it bought, Warner-Lambert, includes a $240 million criminal fine -
the second-largest criminal fine ever imposed in a health care fraud
prosecution, the Justice Department said.

Whistleblower David Franklin, the scientist who reported the marketing
abuses to authorities, will receive $26.6 million as part of the settlement.

"This is a standard industry practice," Franklin told The Associated Press
in an interview. "Hopefully, real change will happen now, and this will be
the start of something and not the end."

Under the agreement announced Thursday by federal prosecutors, the company
acknowledged spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to promote
non-approved uses for the anti-seizure drug Neurontin.

Pfizer will plead guilty to violating the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
Besides the $240 million criminal fine, the company will pay $152 million in
civil fines to be shared among state and federal Medicaid agencies. Another
$38 million would go to state consumer-protection agencies.

The company said the activity occurred years before it bought Warner-Lambert
in 2000.

"Pfizer is committed to compliance with all healthcare laws and FDA
requirements and to high ethical standards in all aspects of its business
practices," the company said in a statement.

The case began in 1996, when Franklin filed a whistleblower lawsuit against
drug maker Parke-Davis and its parent company Warner-Lambert, alleging it
used an illegal marketing plan to drive up Neurontin sales in the 1990s.

The lawsuit alleged that while Neurontin was approved only as an epilepsy
drug, the company promoted it for relieving pain, headaches, bipolar
disorder and other psychiatric illnesses.

While doctors can prescribe drugs for any use, the promotion of drugs for
these so-called "off-label uses" is prohibited by the Food and Drug Cosmetic
Act.

Last May, federal prosecutors in Boston filed a brief in support of
Franklin's lawsuit, and have since been in settlement negotiations with New
York-based Pfizer to recover money the Medicaid program spent on Neurontin.

Franklin's lawsuit alleged that the company's publicity plan included paying
doctors to put their names on ghostwritten articles about Neurontin and to
induce them to prescribe the drug for various uses by giving them tickets to
sporting events, trips to golf resorts and speakers fees. One doctor
received almost $308,000 to speak at conferences about the drug.

Neurontin's sales soared from $97.5 million in 1995 to nearly $2.7 billion
in 2003.

"We believe we have exposed an illegal practice in the pharmaceutical
industry that caused the Medicaid program to pay tens of millions of dollars
for off-label prescriptions that were not eligible for reimbursement under
the Medicaid program," said Franklin's attorney, Thomas Greene.

Franklin, 42, said Warner-Lambert had conducted a clinical trial that showed
Neurontin was less effective than a placebo for treating bipolar disorder,
but it never published those findings and told doctors the drug was highly
effective for treating the psychological condition.

"Patients every day are still taking this drug hoping it's effective, and
there's really no evidence for that," Franklin said.

They'll do anything to make a few bucks...

Anth

>Subject: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
>From: "Anth" [email protected]
>Date: 5/15/04 3:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>Pfizer Inc will plead guilty to criminal charges

So who is going to jail? If a criminal act was committed, then someone or some
group should be doing jail time.

If one can pay a fine and not go to jail, then this should apply to Enron and
Martha as well. Are we on an even playing field or is medicine and all its
lies on another plane?

DrC PhD

http://www.mercola.com/2004/may/15/drug_companies_evil.htm
Anth

"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> in 2003.
>
> "We believe we have exposed an illegal practice in the pharmaceutical
> industry that caused the Medicaid program to pay tens of millions of

dollars
> for off-label prescriptions that were not eligible for reimbursement under
> the Medicaid program," said Franklin's attorney, Thomas Greene.
>
> Franklin, 42, said Warner-Lambert had conducted a clinical trial that

showed
> Neurontin was less effective than a placebo for treating bipolar disorder,
> but it never published those findings and told doctors the drug was highly
> effective for treating the psychological condition.
>
> "Patients every day are still taking this drug hoping it's effective, and
> there's really no evidence for that," Franklin said.
>
> They'll do anything to make a few bucks...

When you play monopoly with peoples lives (and have lots of money) you get a
'get out of jail free card.'
Anth

"DRCEEPHD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
> >From: "Anth" [email protected]
> >Date: 5/15/04 3:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time

> >Pfizer Inc will plead guilty to criminal charges

> So who is going to jail? If a criminal act was committed, then someone or

some
> group should be doing jail time.
>
> If one can pay a fine and not go to jail, then this should apply to Enron

and
> Martha as well. Are we on an even playing field or is medicine and all

its
> lies on another plane?
>
> DrC PhD

>Subject: Re: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
>From: "Anth" [email protected]
>Date: 5/15/04 4:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>When you play monopoly with peoples lives (and have lots of money) you get a
>'get out of jail free card.'
>Anth

I really like that answer.
Thanks a lot.

DrC PhD

>Subject: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
>From: "Anth" [email protected]
>Date: 5/15/2004 11:07 AM Pacific Standard Time

Thay are all a bunch of liars, dishonest and the love of $$$$ is the root of
all evel.

Jan

> [...]
>
>Neurontin's sales soared from $97.5 million in 1995 to nearly $2.7 billion
>in 2003.
>
>"We believe we have exposed an illegal practice in the pharmaceutical
>industry that caused the Medicaid program to pay tens of millions of dollars
>for off-label prescriptions that were not eligible for reimbursement under
>the Medicaid program," said Franklin's attorney, Thomas Greene.
>
>Franklin, 42, said Warner-Lambert had conducted a clinical trial that showed
>Neurontin was less effective than a placebo for treating bipolar disorder,
>but it never published those findings and told doctors the drug was highly
>effective for treating the psychological condition.
>
>"Patients every day are still taking this drug hoping it's effective, and
>there's really no evidence for that," Franklin said.
>
>They'll do anything to make a few bucks...

In article <[email protected]>,
DRCEEPHD <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Subject: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
>>From: "Anth" [email protected]
>>Date: 5/15/04 3:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>>Pfizer Inc will plead guilty to criminal charges

>So who is going to jail? If a criminal act was committed, then
>someone or some group should be doing jail time.

Not all criminal acts result in jail time, or the jails would be
overflowing with people who let their parking meters expire.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

>Subject: Re: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
>From: [email protected] (David Wright)
>Date: 5/15/2004 5:17 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>In article <[email protected]>,
>DRCEEPHD <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>Subject: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
>>>From: "Anth" [email protected]
>>>Date: 5/15/04 3:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>>>Pfizer Inc will plead guilty to criminal charges

>>So who is going to jail? If a criminal act was committed, then
>>someone or some group should be doing jail time.

>Not all criminal acts result in jail time,

*IF* one happens to be a member of organized medicine.

Comon David tell the whole story.

In fact, just a few months before Jesse had signed up for the experiment,
several monkeys given viruses similar to Jesse’s got sick. And two of them
died.
The doses were larger, but, even so, government rules say reactions like
that in animals must be reported in order to protect people.

****But neither the Gelsingers nor the government was notified.***

“I read that statement at the end, the little tiny paragraph, one sentence,
that Jim Wilson had a vested interest in this. And I said: ‘Yes, well I’d
have an interest in something that I was doing, too. But I had no idea the
extent of that interest. That this man had patents on this adenovirus.’”
— PAUL GELSINGER

***“They had had adverse reactions in monkeys and they had not reported it to
the F.D.A.,” says Paul. “In fact, the monkey had the same reaction that
Jesse had.”****

And Paul Gelsinger heard something else just as alarming. The rules for
the experiment said: Even if volunteers didn’t get visibly ill, if tests
showed that any of them had a significant reaction called “grade 3,” the
experiment was supposed to be “halted” immediately.
Records show there were “grade 3” reactions in more than one
patient.

The*** first time**

, doctors stopped, called the government and got permission to continue, saying
an unusual condition with the patient might have been the cause.

***The second time***, they stopped, called and got permission again,
citing another unusual condition.

But when it happened

***a third time***

, they didn’t stop, didn’t call.

***Then, a fourth time***

.. They didn’t stop or call then either.
“They continued anyway,

***in violation of the protocol****

,” says Paul. “And I had no knowledge of that.”
Nobody said anything about that in their meeting or subsequent
conversation?
“No,” says Paul.
In the months that followed, leading up to Jesse, there were several
more volunteers who didn’t get sick. But the dose kept getting larger.
And there was more.

*** Government investigators said the Penn doctors had even bent the rules****

about who could volunteer for the experiment.
For their own safety, volunteers weren’t supposed to have a blood
ammonia level higher than 50. But people were coming in with higher levels and
without proper approval. The limit was raised to 70.
When Jesse signed up over the summer, he was within the limits, but
records show that when Penn doctors tested him, just days before the
experiment,

***his reading was 114 — more than double the original safety limit.***

With medication, doctors brought the level down, but the government
concluded: Jesse Gelsinger should never have been allowed in the experiment in
the first place.

the University of Pennsylvania and Dr. James Wilson,” the man in charge of
the experiment,

***had a “financial interest in a successful outcome.” ***

At the University of Pennsylvania, the conflict committee approved Dr.
Wilson’s arrangement with Genovo.

*** In fact, the university itself owned a piece of his company and stood to
profit, too. ***

In a statement, the university acknowledged that some information
“should have been shared with the FDA sooner.”

***“There was no information given to Jesse or his family about the monkey
deaths. There was no information given to Jesse or his family about toxic
results in prior patients. There was no information that would allow Jesse and
his family to make any kind of informed decision.”****

So, while the government knew about them, other researchers like Dr. Wilson and

*** volunteers like Jesse Gelsinger were never allowed to see them.***

What did he think when he learned that it was legal to stamp these
things “confidential?”

In February, the Food and Drug Administration said that because Dr. Wilson
filed

***“false and misleading” reports and “repeatedly and deliberately
violated regulations”.***

It is attempting to ban him from any other experiments involving humans.

Within weeks of filing this lawsuit against the university, Dr. Wilson, and
other doctors on his team, the defendants settled

*** without admitting any wrong doing.***

At the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Wilson is

*** still on the faculty***

but no longer in charge of its gene therapy program
========================

Jan

Jan the Accuser wrote:

> Thay are all a bunch of liars, dishonest and the love of $$$$ is the root of
> all evel.
>
> Jan

Prove it. You accuse people all the time of lying
just because they disagree with you, but you NEVER
back up your accusations with proof.

Do you need help seeing what PROOF looks like, Jan?

Here is an example:

To see Jan's ORIGINAL POSTING, go here:
http://www.google.com/[email protected]

Jan wrote:

> >From: Mark Thorson [email protected]
> >
> >Instead of responding to what you say, Jan is trying to discredit
> >you by making insinuations about who you are or what your
> >motives may be.
> >
> >Soon, she may accuse you of being on the payroll of the
> >pharmaceutical companies, etc. That's the way Jan works.

> That would be ANOTHER LIE from Mark Thorson. I have NEVER accused

anyone of
> any such thing.
>
> So do prove your claim Mark!!!!!
>
> You can't YOU JUST LIED AGAIN!!!!!!!

----- example quotes of Jan accusing people of being paid shills -----

Quoting from this ORIGINAL posting from Jan Drew:
http://www.google.com/[email protected]

Any time alt. health is mentioned the personal trashing starts. Mostly
comes from paid shill Mark Probert.

Quoting from this ORIGINAL posting from Jan Drew:
http://www.google.com/[email protected]

Internet bully Mark Probert who is a paid shill and lives off his wife.

Quoting from this ORIGINAL posting from Jan Drew:
http://www.google.com/[email protected]

As for Mark, he is a paid shill and lives off his wife.

Quoting from this ORIGINAL posting from Jan Drew:
http://www.google.com/[email protected]

As long as Mark is here, the paid shill will call names when in fact
he is the one who is a bigot. Speaking of his own people.

"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/detnews.asp?articleid=21870&sectionid=
> Pfizer Inc will plead guilty to criminal charges and pay $430 million in
> fines to settle charges that a company it bought four years ago illegally
> promoted non-approved uses for a drug by flying doctors to lavish resorts
> and paying them hefty speakers' fees to tout it.

Drug companies in Australia are not allowed by law to give doctors gifts
over a value of $10.

Peter Moran

In article <40a717b5$0$20551$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au>,
Peter Moran <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/detnews.asp?articleid=21870&sectionid=
>> Pfizer Inc will plead guilty to criminal charges and pay $430 million in
>> fines to settle charges that a company it bought four years ago illegally
>> promoted non-approved uses for a drug by flying doctors to lavish resorts
>> and paying them hefty speakers' fees to tout it.

>Drug companies in Australia are not allowed by law to give doctors gifts
>over a value of $10.

Either way, this news story had nothing to do with alternative health
and thus didn't belong on m.h.a in the first place. What's with you,
Anth? Have you been taking lessons in "how to post inappropriately"
from Ilena?

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Pharma can't be trusted, they are disinformation experts, and soon through
CODEX they will control vitamin access.
Anth

news:p[email protected]...

Anth <[email protected]> wrote:
>Pharma can't be trusted, they are disinformation experts, and soon through
>CODEX they will control vitamin access.

Good attempt at dodging, Anth, but ineffective. I repeat, why did you
post the story when it had nothing to do with alternative health?

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>> In article

><40a717b5$0$20551$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.a
>u>,
>> Peter Moran <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>in

>illegally

>resorts
>> >
>> >Drug companies in Australia are not allowed by law to give doctors gifts
>> >over a value of $10.

>> Either way, this news story had nothing to do with alternative health
>> and thus didn't belong on m.h.a in the first place. What's with you,
>> Anth? Have you been taking lessons in "how to post inappropriately"
>> from Ilena?
>>
>> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
>> These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
>> "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
>> were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)
>>

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Anth <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Pharma can't be trusted, they are disinformation experts, and soon through
>>CODEX they will control vitamin access.

>Good attempt at dodging, Anth, but ineffective. I repeat, why did you
>post the story when it had nothing to do with alternative health?

Anth doesn't have much of a life outside of MHA.

> -- David Wright :

It wasn't dodging David.
Anth

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Anth <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Pharma can't be trusted, they are disinformation experts, and soon

through
> >CODEX they will control vitamin access.

> Good attempt at dodging, Anth, but ineffective. I repeat, why did you
> post the story when it had nothing to do with alternative health?
>
> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
> These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
> "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
> were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)
>

> >"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:p[email protected]...
> >> In article

><40a717b5$0$20551$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.

> >u>,

http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/detnews.asp?articleid=21870&sectionid=

million
> >in

> >illegally

> >resorts

gifts

> >> Either way, this news story had nothing to do with alternative health
> >> and thus didn't belong on m.h.a in the first place. What's with you,
> >> Anth? Have you been taking lessons in "how to post inappropriately"
> >> from Ilena?
> >>
> >> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
> >> These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
> >> "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
> >> were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

(Are you saying CODEX has nothing to do with misc.health.alternative?)

Anth <[email protected]> wrote:
>(Are you saying CODEX has nothing to do with misc.health.alternative?)

The original article had nothing to do with Codex and everything to do
with Pfizer paying a large fine for criminal behavior. You are trying
to justify your posting by dragging in Codex. It won't wash. You're
as bad as Ilena or Jan, who seem to feel the actual purpose for this
newsgroup is to bash conventional medicine. Well, it ain't.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Anth <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >Pharma can't be trusted, they are disinformation experts, and soon

>through
>> >CODEX they will control vitamin access.

>> Good attempt at dodging, Anth, but ineffective. I repeat, why did you
>> post the story when it had nothing to do with alternative health?
>>
>> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
>> These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
>> "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
>> were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)
>>

>> >"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:p[email protected]...

>><40a717b5$0$20551$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.

>> >u>,

>http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/detnews.asp?articleid=21870&sectionid=

>million
>> >in
>> >illegally
>> >resorts

>gifts

Bash conventional medicine? Since when is medicine that doesn't work
medicine?
These guys are crooks I have a _every_ right to bash it.
Anth

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Anth <[email protected]> wrote:
> >(Are you saying CODEX has nothing to do with misc.health.alternative?)

> The original article had nothing to do with Codex and everything to do
> with Pfizer paying a large fine for criminal behavior. You are trying
> to justify your posting by dragging in Codex. It won't wash. You're
> as bad as Ilena or Jan, who seem to feel the actual purpose for this
> newsgroup is to bash conventional medicine. Well, it ain't.
>
> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
> These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
> "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
> were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)
>

> >"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >through
> >>
> >> Good attempt at dodging, Anth, but ineffective. I repeat, why did you
> >> post the story when it had nothing to do with alternative health?
> >>
> >> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
> >> These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
> >> "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
> >> were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

>><40a717b5$0$20551$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com

..

message

> >http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/detnews.asp?articleid=21870&sectionid=

> >million

> >gifts

health

you,

>Subject: Re: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
>From: [email protected] (David Wright)
>Date: 5/16/2004 10:22 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>In article
><40a717b5$0$20551$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-02.brisbane.pipenetworks.co

m.au>,
>Peter Moran <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/detnews.asp?articleid=21870&sectionid=
>>> Pfizer Inc will plead guilty to criminal charges and pay $430 million in
>>> fines to settle charges that a company it bought four years ago illegally
>>> promoted non-approved uses for a drug by flying doctors to lavish resorts
>>> and paying them hefty speakers' fees to tout it.

>>Drug companies in Australia are not allowed by law to give doctors gifts
>>over a value of $10.

>Either way, this news story had nothing to do with alternative health

ZZzz.

Alternative is alternative from conventional.

Let's see if David only speaks of alternative medicine and not conventional.

He doesn't, he is a hypocrite with a desire to protect conventional medicine,
even we they are dishonest. He wants it to remain a big secret.

Jan

>Subject: Re: Big Pharma is fined 'pocket change'
>From: "Anth" [email protected]
>Date: 5/16/2004 1:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>Bash conventional medicine? Since when is medicine that doesn't work
>medicine?
>These guys are crooks I have a _every_ right to bash it.
>Anth

Anth....I believe Most of us would agree that Pfizer was/is wrong...and that
they got what they deserve

Codex on the other hand...is an entirely different topic...

hawki.....