Big Rant (long)

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:58:56 GMT, in <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>typed
>

>> Richard Bates wrote:
>
>> > Gray's is too heavy. Snell is much more digestable so long as you have a 2nd hand copy with all
>> > the errors highlighted.
>
>> What, /Linda/ Snell?

Nope, Richard Snell.
--
Sig got lost during a reinstall

Kit Wolf wrote:

> Most recumbent dealers I talked to seemed surprised when I said I'd just had my bike stolen,
> though the cynical might suggest that it's in their interests to perpetuate the myth that
> recumbents never go AWOL.

*nothing* is ever completely safe, but at least a 'bent is unlikely to go and get sold on at random
by "this bloke in the pub", or for that matter TBitP is unlikely to get asked for one by his typical
clients. And though there are bound to be reprobates who are happy to ride them, your typical
antisocial element won't be able to make a good getaway for a joyride, or even think they might.

> about, I learnt of a few more recumbents that were taken in the UK, as well as a man who stole a
> recumbent in Italy and cycled it to Germany before he got caught.

But MTBs are far more attractive. A friend has had two stolen from a locked basement, on each
occasion ignoring the Galaxy Twin and on the first also ignoring the recumbent trike parked next
door and not locked up inside the store. Same friend pretty much never locks up his (rather scruffy
and bit knackered) Brompton, nobody's ever shown any interest in it in these parts. Hope that
continues...

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On 20/11/03 9:16 am, in article [email protected], "Peter Clinch"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> But MTBs are far more attractive. A friend has had two stolen from a locked basement, on each
> occasion ignoring the Galaxy Twin and on the first also ignoring the recumbent trike parked next
> door and not locked up inside the store. Same friend pretty much never locks up his (rather
> scruffy and bit knackered) Brompton, nobody's ever shown any interest in it in these parts. Hope
> that continues...

So where does he leave it then? ;-)

I had to go to the connurbation that is NineWells the other day, got there and realised that I had
left the lock at the main campus.

So instead of locking the bike up in the bikesheds by by the main door I took it downstairs with me
to the meeting.

It's funny how a research department won't bat an eyelid when you wheel an MTB down their
corridors...

..d

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:31:37 +0000, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I had to go to the connurbation that is NineWells the other day, got there and realised that I had
> left the lock at the main campus.
>
> So instead of locking the bike up in the bikesheds by by the main door I took it downstairs with
> me to the meeting.
>
> It's funny how a research department won't bat an eyelid when you wheel an MTB down their
> corridors...

My department would. There is a strict no bicycles policy within the building. So strict in fact
that it was suggested I couldn't carry the Brompton in. That has now been usefully ignored but the
notice on the wall hasn't been amended.

Colin
--

David Martin wrote:

> It's funny how a research department won't bat an eyelid when you wheel an MTB down their
> corridors...

Research departments in the Ninewells lab block won't, but the Trust fire officer will Not Be
Pleased, which is why bikes are no longer to be found locked in all of the stairwells like they were
a few years ago...

Though the Trust have built some decent enclosed locking sheds for regular commuters in addition to
the relatively naff racks by the entrance where the staff and inmates take their cancer breaks.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Lucky you. Many such things for me.
>
> Including loosening the front quick release. Luckily hoping on to the pavement for my drive when
> this happened. Still got big bruises and a front fork that was "bent as a banana".
>
> (hadn't got a helmet on though....)

I had some git do this to me outside Sainsbury's in Selly Oak, Birmingham - fortunately I always
subconsciously test my brakes when getting on the bike, and the front wheel came loose before I
was moving.

Also rather fortunate that a local Halford's was only 100 yards away.

Still was very p**sed off.

You've got to wonder what goes on in these people's minds - but then I can't help but think they
must be very frustrated to have to do kind of stupid thing to get kicks.

"Leigh Hunt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> You've got to wonder what goes on in these people's minds - but then I can't help but think they
> must be very frustrated to have to do kind of stupid thing to get kicks.

sadly there are a lot of them about. and it isn't really anti-bike either, people just smash stuff
on the streets out of anger or jealousy. If you own a decent car and park it in some bits of Reading
it will also get keyed or broken into/vandalised.

within my circle of friends we bring our bikes into the houses we are visiting and keep them there;
I tend not to use sheffield stands in the city centre but I am lucky inasmuch that my work has a
*very* secure bike parking area, in the staff car park which can only be accessed via an electronic
card system.

Alex

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BBE23A79.5AC1%[email protected]...

> It's funny how a research department won't bat an eyelid when you wheel an MTB down their
> corridors...

one of my favourite movie scenes is in "If", where the teacher cycles all the way into his classroom
(straight down a corridor, which is full of bookcases and other tat!) singing "To be a pilgrim" :)

Alex