Big riders in the TdF?

> Don't know if he's riding this year's tour, but I think Andy Flickinger is
> at least as big as Maggie.
>
> And George Hincapie and Axel Merckx are around about that height too.

George and Axel may be as tall as Magnus, but nowhere near as big. Magnus is
my hero; anybody who can haul that much weight over the mountains all the
way to Paris and not have to worry about the time cut is an inspiration to
Masters Fatties everywhere.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

trg wrote:
> Don't know if he's riding this year's tour, but I think Andy Flickinger is
> at least as big as Maggie.
>
> And George Hincapie and Axel Merckx are around about that height too.

Those guys are tall, but skinny. Maggie's got at least 20kg on those
guys. Thor Hushovd isn't that tall, but he's 81kg. Still more than 10
less than Magnus. Tom Boonen is as tall as Magnus, but still only 80kg.

I hope he pulls through this year.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> trg wrote:
>> Don't know if he's riding this year's tour, but I think Andy
>> Flickinger is at least as big as Maggie.
>>
>> And George Hincapie and Axel Merckx are around about that height too.

> Those guys are tall, but skinny. Maggie's got at least 20kg on those
> guys. Thor Hushovd isn't that tall, but he's 81kg. Still more than 10
> less than Magnus. Tom Boonen is as tall as Magnus, but still only 80kg.

From the 2004 Tour:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/tdf04-bmi.png

Robert Chung wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > trg wrote:
> >> Don't know if he's riding this year's tour, but I think Andy
> >> Flickinger is at least as big as Maggie.
> >>
> >> And George Hincapie and Axel Merckx are around about that height too.

> > Those guys are tall, but skinny. Maggie's got at least 20kg on those
> > guys. Thor Hushovd isn't that tall, but he's 81kg. Still more than 10
> > less than Magnus. Tom Boonen is as tall as Magnus, but still only 80kg.

> From the 2004 Tour:
> http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/tdf04-bmi.png

Interesting that Armstrong is so far out of the norm.

Joseph

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...

| Robert Chung wrote:
| > [email protected] wrote:

| > > Those guys are tall, but skinny. Maggie's got at least 20kg on those
| > > guys. Thor Hushovd isn't that tall, but he's 81kg. Still more than 10
| > > less than Magnus. Tom Boonen is as tall as Magnus, but still only
80kg.

| > From the 2004 Tour:
| > http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/tdf04-bmi.png
|
| Interesting that Armstrong is so far out of the norm.
|
| Joseph

I imagine there is a great margin of error in that chart. The weight of
various riders may not have been measured at the same point in the season
(even if all figures come from the same source.). So comparing Hincapie in
January with Merckx in July could give a not entirely accurate impression.

trg wrote:
> <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...
> |
> | Robert Chung wrote:

> 80kg.
> | >
> | > From the 2004 Tour:
> | > http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/tdf04-bmi.png
> |
> | Interesting that Armstrong is so far out of the norm.
> |
> | Joseph
> |

> I imagine there is a great margin of error in that chart. The weight of
> various riders may not have been measured at the same point in the season
> (even if all figures come from the same source.). So comparing Hincapie in
> January with Merckx in July could give a not entirely accurate impression.

This is perhaps true, but I know for a fact that Hincapie is very slim.
I raced in NYC as a junior and he was in (and won) most of the races I
was ever in, so I have seen him up close and personal. And Axel looks
even slimmer from TV. Even if you give all the riders a 3kg+/- the
overall jist of the chart still holds.

No matter what, George and Axel are both far from Magnus' 90+.

Joseph

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Don't know if he's riding this year's tour, but I think Andy Flickinger is
> > at least as big as Maggie.
> >
> > And George Hincapie and Axel Merckx are around about that height too.

> George and Axel may be as tall as Magnus, but nowhere near as big. Magnus is
> my hero; anybody who can haul that much weight over the mountains all the
> way to Paris and not have to worry about the time cut is an inspiration to
> Masters Fatties everywhere.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

He is HUGE compared the rest of the riders. He looks like he belongs
in the local Cat3 race compared to the rest of the emaciated pros. I
was on Ventoux in 2000 with a bunch of Swede's. That guy got the
second most cheers from the crowd. #1 for volume (and pushes)...Jacky
Durand. They loved that guy.

jeremy wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
> > From the 2004 Tour:
> > http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/tdf04-bmi.png

> On the other end of the spectrum - Rujano has got to be the smallest
> guy in the peloton. Makes it tough to see the crashes around the guy
> in front of you, especially if it is Magnus.
>
> http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/personnews_prs85705.shtml
>
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races06/features/training-booru.jpg

If he were ever on Maggie's wheel he would crash into him from getting
sucked into the vortex. Maggie would think he had broken a spoke.

Joseph