Big & Tall Rider ISO Bike

On 2 Jun 2003 15:06:20 -0700, [email protected] (Bluto) wrote:

>I broke two spindles under pedaling loads only, with the fracture emanating from the root end of
>the taper flats. Both the spindles in question were drilled for 8mm crank bolts, and the
>cross-sectional area at the break was disturbingly small.

I wonder if it helps to have the old fashioned wider 14 or 15 mm bolts, instead of the
allen key ones.

[BMX cranks]

>Double or triple spiders can be obtained which use this method of attachment:
>http://shop.airbomb.com/site/intro.cfm?PageID=37&SKU=CR7013

Getting a triple with those would necessitate having crank, spider adapter, chainring, triplizer
chainring, granny chainring, I think, unless you can find a granny in 110, which makes you limited
in selection of them. But, okay, it's an option. Though it is an expensive option (because of the
expensive adapters), and with all those adapters in there, I'm not so sure it's still a strong one
-- particularly for the granny gear. You're then going through a lot of fasteners to transmit the
force into the crank.

>> I don't think it's a good idea to tell the guy he needs to spend a thousand bucks before he can
>> even think about riding. Besides, he mentions he wants to ride Sunday afternoons with his kid..
>> that's not gonna be terribly arduous riding in any case.
>
>True. But neither will it effect the weight loss the OP stated was his goal. I think the guy can
>get set up for less than $300 if he starts with an appropriate secondhand bike.

Hmm, I completely missed the weight loss thing, it was so off the cuff. You're right there.

Jasper

FTLOSM wrote:
> Yeah those do look awesome but I was hoping to stay within a budget of aprox $500 give or take a
> few extra if needed,

Paul:
> > I think you're thinking of http://www.zinncycles.com/
> >
> > I think the original poster was imagining something less expensive than a Zinn.

I do not recall posting a message to the effect of, "OP should order a custom frame to fit him,
and drop all the $$$ that it will cost." My brother picked up a 27" (translated to cm is...?)
complete bike off alt.rec.tall, a custom Romic, for $(unprintably low price). It had made its way
to a shop in Spokane as a trade-in. The staff had it on the floor for a couple of weeks and
realized a) no NBA types in town
b) they'd better find a place to sell it to someone tall. So it made its way back to Houston. (Romic
made bikes there for many years, but no longer.) Heard the folksong about the mint-condition
vintage Corvette for $100? You never know. I found my Counterpoint on the eponymous website for
about (unprintable amount) less than they are going for on popular sites. Keystrokes are cheap.
--Karen M.