Big ups to Sorni...boo RockShox

Chris

Guest
The brake studs came, and they're exactly what I needed. Thanks for bailing me out: if you ever need
something, I have our shops' parts coffers at my disposal.

And RokcShox can eat it, for putting those damn smaller-than-every-other-damn-bike studs on in the
first place. They must be following Cannondale's business model - proprietary parts on a second-rate
product, getting bought out...uggh.

So yeah, thanks again Bill. Go Terps.

Chris

> The brake studs came, and they're exactly what I needed. Thanks for
bailing
> me out: if you ever need something, I have our shops' parts coffers at my disposal.

Glad they arrived (and fit!), Chris. Got any XTR front hub bits (axle, bearings, etc.) laying
around? :)

(Just kidding. Gonna take it somewhere to have serviced, unless cost makes it not worthwhile.)

> And RokcShox can eat it, for putting those damn smaller-than-every-other-damn-bike studs on in the
> first place. They must be following Cannondale's business model - proprietary parts on a
> second-rate product, getting bought out...uggh.

They're going on a Duke, right? Actually heard pretty good reports on those models (despite the
DESPICABLE name! :)

> So yeah, thanks again Bill. Go Terps.

Rock on, Testudo.

Bill "next game scares me, though" S.

news:<[email protected]>...

<snip>

> And RokcShox can eat it, for putting those damn smaller-than-every-other-damn-bike studs on in the
> first place. They must be following Cannondale's business model - proprietary parts on a
> second-rate product, getting bought out...uggh.

Actually they're following the SRAM model ....

BTW, what suspension fork manufacturer doesn't use "proprietary parts"?

"Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> <snip>
>
> > And RokcShox can eat it, for putting those damn smaller-than-every-other-damn-bike studs on in
> > the first place. They
must
> > be following Cannondale's business model - proprietary parts on a second-rate product, getting
> > bought out...uggh.
>
> Actually they're following the SRAM model ....
>
> BTW, what suspension fork manufacturer doesn't use "proprietary parts"?

My "proprietary parts" argument, I'll agree, doesn't make much sense when you consider fork parts
like stanchions and whatever-kind-of-exclusive-damping goodies. But as some parts are propritary in
nature (else all designs are identical) the good folks at RockShox made things much too difficult.
Brake studs come in a standard size that everyone else uses; that's why your LBS stocks one size,
and why they (here I mean "we") couldn't order the RS sized studs from anywhere but RS. That's where
the Cannondale metaphor carries - obviously some parts are unique, but where a widely accepted
standard is applicable, it should be applied.

And yes RS is part of SRAM now. I was making a funny.

Chris

news:D[email protected]...
| "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > The brake studs came, and they're exactly what I needed. Thanks for
| bailing
| > me out: if you ever need something, I have our shops' parts coffers at
my
| > disposal.
|
| Glad they arrived (and fit!), Chris. Got any XTR front hub bits (axle, bearings, etc.) laying
| around? :)
|
| (Just kidding. Gonna take it somewhere to have serviced, unless cost
makes
| it not worthwhile.)
|
| > And RokcShox can eat it, for putting those damn smaller-than-every-other-damn-bike studs on in
| > the first place. They
must
| > be following Cannondale's business model - proprietary parts on a second-rate product, getting
| > bought out...uggh.
|
| They're going on a Duke, right? Actually heard pretty good reports on
those
| models (despite the DESPICABLE name! :)
|
| > So yeah, thanks again Bill. Go Terps.
|
| Rock on, Testudo.
|
| Bill "next game scares me, though" S.

I know the bad name rockshox have but, always a but, I have a set of 2002
psylos that have been well and truly used and abused. Yes this is the second set I had , warranty
replaced the first, but they are not designed for jumping and drops like I like to try. I crash
more than most too and still the damn things work flawlessly. Just wanted to say, they are not all
that bad when compared to most companies but are shite compared to the big M.

Simon .......all swings n roundabouts

news:D[email protected]...

> Glad they arrived (and fit!), Chris. Got any XTR front hub bits (axle, bearings, etc.) laying
> around? :)
>
> (Just kidding. Gonna take it somewhere to have serviced, unless cost
makes
> it not worthwhile.)

I'm back in Saturday...I'll check, but don't get too excited. We do mostly road work in our shop
(custom - or should I say customized - Torelli, anyone?) so the only XTR bits around may be the
cable housings I left there a few days ago.

> They're going on a Duke, right? Actually heard pretty good reports on
those
> models (despite the DESPICABLE name! :)

As long as the stanchions aren't blue, I can always black out the logo, or put a "F---" in front of
it :). But seriously, I bought it because the Duke seemed the most dependable/straightforward of all
the RS stuff. And, I got it for next to nothing. That also helped.

> Rock on, Testudo.

You should know all the cool Terp fans now rally to the cry of "Go Spret." From the student section
at football games, the flag wavers that spell out G-O-T-E-R-P-S are reversed, since they are
pitching to alumni, so, being drunk, we found it hilarious that we were being encouraged to cheer
for this mysterious Spret character. Whatever.

And I just realized I never answered your question regarding the location of Stevensville/Kent
Island, whereI live. Remember going to Ocean City? As soon as you crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge,
you were on Kent Island - for the next 7 miles. Then, you were back on contiguous ground. Our island
is 7 mi by about 12 mi, all flat. Really makes for some boring ass riding.

Chris

> The brake studs came, and they're exactly what I needed. Thanks for
bailing
> me out: if you ever need something, I have our shops' parts coffers at my disposal.
>
> And RokcShox can eat it, for putting those damn smaller-than-every-other-damn-bike studs on in the
> first place. They must be following Cannondale's business model - proprietary parts on a
> second-rate product, getting bought out...uggh.
>
> So yeah, thanks again Bill. Go Terps.
>
> Chris

They weren't stripped or otherwise mutilated were they? Sorni has a certain reputation down here in
San Diego........

Michael

"Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> They weren't stripped or otherwise mutilated were they? Sorni has a
certain
> reputation down here in San Diego........
>

> Michael

They're just brake studs, so there's only one part...though he was kind enough to supply
the washers.

Chris

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:25:04 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> They weren't stripped or otherwise mutilated were they? Sorni has a
> certain
>> reputation down here in San Diego........
>>

>> Michael
>
> They're just brake studs, so there's only one part...though he was kind enough to supply the
> washers.
>
> Chris

Check the threads carefully anyhow.

Miles

"miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:prmq62hcvlkb6ka@news-server...
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:25:04 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> They weren't stripped or otherwise mutilated were they? Sorni has a
> > certain
> >> reputation down here in San Diego........
> >>

> >> Michael
> >
> > They're just brake studs, so there's only one part...though he was kind enough to supply the
> > washers.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Check the threads carefully anyhow.

I tend to round-off heads before stripping threads, FWIW.

Bill "besides, I could get the dust covers on my front hub before SOMEONE worked on it" S.

news:<[email protected]>...

<snip>

> My "proprietary parts" argument, I'll agree, doesn't make much sense when you consider fork parts
> like stanchions and whatever-kind-of-exclusive-damping goodies. But as some parts are propritary
> in nature (else all designs are identical) the good folks at RockShox made things much too
> difficult.

The brake stud is different because the slider is different. Notice that the part number for the
(48131) carries across to forks with similar sliders ie. Judy. For that matter Rock shox has been
using an M8 stud since 1997 (when it changed it's slider design), and small parts such as the brake
stud kit are available from BTI.

> Brake studs come in a standard size that everyone else uses;

Sure M6 studs are common, but not all M6 studs are the same. Would you repalce an Answer 41396 stud
with a White Brothers 3665?

> that's why your LBS stocks one size, and why they (here I mean "we") couldn't order the RS sized
> studs from anywhere but RS.

You need to look around more, BTI and others carry M8 studs. Just for information ... the RS-48131 &
RS-52261 studs are interchangable.

My LBS carries some small parts from RS-1's and XC-300's through Marathons.

> That's where the Cannondale metaphor carries - obviously some parts are unique, but where a widely
> accepted standard is applicable, it should be applied.

What is a widely accepted standard in the bicycle industry? Hasn't this been done before? Bicycle
industry "standards" change from year to year.

> And yes RS is part of SRAM now. I was making a funny.

Actually, RS has been part of SRAM for quite a while, and had undergone several managment changes
before being boutght out.

I was making the point that SRAM has just as many, if not more "proprietary parts" in its lines than
any other bicycle industry manufacturer. They are possibly the one company in the industry that our
shines Cannonwhale in the wierd factor.

Reco

news:<ne%[email protected]>...
> "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:prmq62hcvlkb6ka@news-server...
> > On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:25:04 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > > "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> certain

> > > They're just brake studs, so there's only one part...though he was kind enough to supply the
> > > washers.
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >

> > Check the threads carefully anyhow.
>
> I tend to round-off heads before stripping threads, FWIW.
>
> Bill "besides, I could get the dust covers on my front hub before SOMEONE worked on it" S.

heads or threads, they both fall under the realm of your "If tight is good, tigher is better" mantra
to bicycle maintenance :)

Michael