big watts

kclw

Mar 10, 2006
I heard throught the grapevine that Svien Tuft did a minute at 540 watts doing the standard CCA test protocol. (3 minutes stages followed by a 30 watt jump with a initial wattage of 150 watts.)

That is some serious power output. If he had a little bit smaller upperbody he could be TT world champ.

kclw said:
I heard throught the grapevine that Svien Tuft did a minute at 540 watts doing the standard CCA test protocol. (3 minutes stages followed by a 30 watt jump with a initial wattage of 150 watts.)

That is some serious power output. If he had a little bit smaller upperbody he could be TT world champ.
he's a very strong rider. I remember reading of some quite high watts in an US race for an hour - definitely in the 400's so something in the 500's for Vo2max power doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

I've done that test 2-3 times but not recently and nowhere near 540W!

I heard this too - except I think he completed the entire 3 minute interval at 540W (the power for the last complete 3 mins determines MAP under the CCA protocol).

On a press release somewhere I read that he held 415W for the last hour of the US Open so applying the rule of thumb that MAP x 0.75 = FTP this would give MAP = 415 / .75 = 553W which is pretty close to the 540W.