Big wheels rule the un-faired class at Cherry Pie (or Bacchetta rules)

>Zach, are there any other bent riders doing club rides with you in the Alameda area? Or are you the
>only one on a bent doing these hilly rides? I think Dogboy is the only one I have seen riding his
>Coyote on the roads in this area on a regular basis.

Derek,

I do a lot of riding in Marin, Sonoma and Napa Counties, I just don't do many club rides. My regular
riding friends and I decide what to do about Thursday each week on what day of the weekend. This
year we are going to start occasional weekend tours that may include camping. For those the GTT is
the bike of choice, otherwise i am usually out on the Catrike or Corsa.

This weekend is up to Eureka for a metric over the Tour of the Unknown Coast, a preview for two
different rides this year, the organized ride and an overnighter. Last year the GTT went from San
Rafael to north of Ukiah. This year I hope to ride from San Rafael to Monterey (maybe for the Sea
Otter) and to Sacramento and extend from ukiah to Willits or even Laytonville.

Milage goal for this year is 4000, about 25% more than last

I'd be happy to include you, and anyone else who wants to join us, a train of bents is a lot of fun.

Mike San Rafael

Dog boy, I 'm still trying to figure out what I posted incorrectly? I did not get lapped.

At this point of time I will not be building any streamliners. At Bacchetta we're more interested in
trying to expand the recumbent market by building bikes that are fast without fairings and have
cross over appeal.

As Steve has informed me about your riding strength and records I respect that. A ten mile time
trial under 20 min. is awesome. The last time I saw a ten miler in the low 20's much (supposely went
below one time but think there was a timing problem) was when I was 18 years old.

The point I was making with such a miss match of bikes in a race I was suprised that I did not get
lapped. As I have said before I'm sure you guys in the streamliners will not let that happen again.

Cherry Pie was fun and I hope to see more recumbent races added in other races around the country.

Keep spinning

John

[email protected] (dogboy) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Well John, I've been waiting patiently for Dogboy to reply to your challenge. Looks like
> > Dogboy's 'bark is worse than his bite'.
> >
> > Emmett
>
> Emmett, I was asked by Steve not to respond to his post and I can only guess that you're just
> trying to stir up some sh*t with your post! I only challenged John's incorrect post at the
> beginning that started all this. John appears to have a need to prove himself at someone else's
> expense. I don't waste my time with people like that. I only ride for fun. John is free to build
> whatever kind of bike he wants and race wherever he wants. I understand that the folks at
> Bachetta are trying to make a name for themselves, but in my book they're going about it in an
> unproductive way. If he wants to measure himself up against the Coyote, he should build a
> streetable streamliner and go out to Battle
> Mt. and see if he can do better than 54 mph or bring it up to Portland on Memorial weekend or come
> do the Santa Rosa century. He would have ample opportunity to measure his performance against
> mine at any of those venues. Other than that I couldn't care less,.. get a life! Sorry
> Steve!!!!!!!

Joe This was my first race with "clipped" pedals The course is so rough now it was a big help
keeping the feet on the pedals See ya in a few months Speedy

Joseph Kochanowski wrote:

> "S. Delaire \"Rotatorrecumbent\"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > The year I averaged 30 mph and lapped the field several times the other riders got awfully
> > pissy. I now keep an eye on the field and make certain to win by just enough to make it look
> > fair. Better for the friendships.
> >
> > This is now 7 wins for 9 times the race has run or 77% win ratio. Sorry guys, this was just a
> > walk in the park. Speedy
> >
> Let me guess. You still do not use clipless pedals or toeclips and only use sneakers with BMX
> pedals. Confess.

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

In the world of streamliners, aerodynamics plays as much a part (or more) as physical conditioning.
Georgio Georgiev has said it, and I will repeat "the future of streamliners is burly midgets!"
paraphrased of course, but that is the gist of it. Not that Zach is a midget, but he is quite slim.

"bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I thought aerobic capacity and lactate threshold were, for the most part,
the
> limiting factors in bike races. Otherwise, why EPO and blood doping stuff? bill g
>
> Gabriel DeVault wrote:
>
> > Zach, you could haul ass in a streamliner, you have the right body type
> > fit in a nice skinny slick body, and you got muscles!

ladder. The marketability and recognition of our particular sport ( as well as any sport:}depends
heavily on that factor. The two hottest looking streamliners IMO, are the now Virtual Rush and
Coyote. To me, the Coyote wins hands down as the most marketable of all the steamliner designs
because of performance, visual appearance and safety. Few have to be reminded of the particular
attributes that a streamliner provides particularly to me and other who so happen to live in rainy
and cool Seattle. We also have to keep in mind the we in Seattle have the terrain that challenges a
recumbent perceived number 1 weakness, hills (and very long steep ones too). This area would be an
excellent proving ground for Research and Development of recumbents and Recumbent Streamliners.

What I would like to see is you mega stars of the recumbent world take a ride in our annual Chilly
Hilly Race / Ride. The name of the ride is self explanatory. I've only seen a small number of
recumbent participate (could count them on one hand and still have plenty of fingers left).
Personally, I would love to see the publics reaction to your designs. And who knows, maybe even
spark the Hill Killer Invention of the century from some casual observer. Please excuse my
pontifications, but I feel this would benefit all in the recumbent and DF world. Streamliners are
the "New Thing" we all in the consumer world want.

Rudy in Seattle, riding a V40

"Gabriel DeVault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ah, come on John, build a streamliner, you know all the cool companies are doing it :)
>
> Seriously, if Rotator, Easy Racers and Bacchetta were to go at it in a streamliner series it could
> really bring some interest back into the
sport.

> Just my 2 cents : )
>
> Gabe
>
> "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Gabe, I spoke before I had all the facts. Gardner filled me in on Tuesday during my visit, which
> > I really enjoy stopping in and seeing the Easy Racer home. Of course Gardner does have the
> > fastest faired vehicle, I'm talking about that black I took a ride in.
> >
> > It just looked like a hired gun deal when the rider walks away from the bike and does not have
> > to worry about the little details.
> >
> > I have no plans of entering into the darkest of the dark side yet, (streamliners).
> >
> > See you around.
> >
> > John
> >

> > "Gabriel DeVault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > Excellent showing at the Cherry Pie, but I must object... "hired gun",
> what?
> > > Jamiel Danesh is a pro racer, but not hired. He rode across the
country
> on
> > > one of our bikes, he likes our bikes. He called up a couple weeks
before
> the
> > > race and asked if he could race one of our bikes in the recumbent
race.
> We
> > > hooked him up with a socked Ti-Rush. He finished a one hour Pro crit
> (his
> > > team placed 2nd I think) five minutes before the recumbent race and he
> still
> > > finished 3rd. Be very afraid if we put him in a real streamliner!
> > >
> > > Sounds like you need to build your own streamliner John :)
> > >

> > > Gabe
> > >

> > > "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > news:<[email protected]>...
> for
streamliners!

[email protected] (dogboy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > Well John, I've been waiting patiently for Dogboy to reply to your challenge. Looks like
> > Dogboy's 'bark is worse than his bite'.
> >
> > Emmett
>
> Emmett, I was asked by Steve not to respond to his post and I can only guess that you're just
> trying to stir up some sh*t with your post! I only challenged John's incorrect post at the
> beginning that started all this. John appears to have a need to prove himself at someone else's
> expense. I don't waste my time with people like that. I only ride for fun. John is free to build
> whatever kind of bike he wants and race wherever he wants. I understand that the folks at
> Bachetta are trying to make a name for themselves, but in my book they're going about it in an
> unproductive way. If he wants to measure himself up against the Coyote, he should build a
> streetable streamliner and go out to Battle
> Mt. and see if he can do better than 54 mph or bring it up to Portland on Memorial weekend or come
> do the Santa Rosa century. He would have ample opportunity to measure his performance against
> mine at any of those venues. Other than that I couldn't care less,.. get a life! Sorry
> Steve!!!!!!!

Dogboy, You're still barking. Sorry but devil made me do it.

Zach, Here in the flatlands of Maryland the situation is similar. I hve ridden with a number of
pretty good DF riders from racing clubs in the DC and from Pennsylvania. The acceptance of the
HighRacer with state of the art componentry they recognize get conservations going. We have no hills
here but we have "killer wind" when riding with my DF brethern they appreciate that they can
actually draft me....and hate it when I can stay with their paceline and not even be in it. Ain't
having superior aerodynamics fun. As for hills...I am supposed to ride some small ones Sunday...but
it looks like rain and sleet will be moving in after a 50+ day tomorrow. Ahhh...Possibly I'll just
close early tomorrow and go ride.

Jude

Wheel Doctor Cycles and Sports Inc.

St. Michaels, Maryland

"Zach Kaplan Cycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Derek:
>
> In my cycling club, Grizzly Peak Cyclists, there are maybe ten people that own recumbents. Of
> these the only ones taking their recumbents on club rides seem to be slower riders doing the
> shorter rides. So on the longer, faster paced, hillier club rides I do I'm always the only
> recumbent rider. My riding buddies I regularly do these rides with are all riding road bikes,
> mostly high end titanium and carbon fibre types. With the Aero I fit in well with them. They know
> I'm a bit different but I was before I got the Aero when I was riding other recumbents with them.
> I have their respect and seem to be treated equally now that I have the Aero and can keep up with
> them on the climbs or in many cases get to the tops of the climbs ahead of them. It is fun being
> able to compare notes with them about carbon fibre road bike forks and road bike tyres. I like
> riding a vehicle different from everyone elses that still has some basic similarities they can
> relate to.
>
> I have some recumbent riding friends in the South Bay that do hilly rides on their recumbents but
> I haven't been riding with them much since getting the Aero.
>
> Zach Kaplan
>
> "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Most of the rides I do in the Bay area are hilly club rides, and I see almost no recumbent
> > riders at the middle to high level pace groups.
Frank
> > Patterson on his Haluzak Lizard, Orin from Rotator on an unfaired bike occasionally, nobody
> > else. I am fairly often the only bent rider on the ride.
> >
> > Zach, are there any other bent riders doing club rides with you in the Alameda area? Or are you
> > the only one on a bent doing these hilly rides?
> > think Dogboy is the only one I have seen riding his Coyote on the roads
in
> > this area on a regular basis.
> >
> > Regards, Derek
> >
> > >I find most of the very scenic, low traffic roads around here have a much higher ratio of
> > >climbing per distance travelled and steeper climbs which do not favour a streamliner, nor do
> > >the descents on these roads which put very high heat loads on the braking system of a
> > >streamliner.

Gabriel, I understand the value of aero-d stuff. But of equal midgets of equal burlyness in equal
streamliners(1), the one with better aerobic capacity or doing midget EPO, is gonna drop the other
midget like....well..however midgets drop midgets. And even if Zach is slim, he's in a streamliner,
so why would slimness matter? Strength isn't the limitation. bill g
(1) e=mc2 ;-)