Bigfoot Ale, bike maintenance and other winter happiness.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jonesy, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    Bike in the stand, tool box open, crack open a Bigfoot and listen to some Zepplin. Really, does it
    get any better, without actually riding the thing? The good smells of new grease and chain lube, and
    a lazy evening of no pressure to do anything else. Theraputic, I tells ya.

    Took the bike out a little during lunch yesterday, just for a ride around the 'hood. Don't want her
    to thik I've forgotten her, right? A little nippy out, so I put on some thermal wear from
    Performance:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15605&Store=Bike

    (LS crew pictured, but I have both the crew and the pants.)

    They are nice and warm, and deal with wind pretty well. They do not wick sweat away as well as some
    of the more expensive gear, but for the price, I'd say they did a pretty good job. All in all, a
    pretty good deal.

    I thought some more about the CamelBak resevoir. I can't remember having cleaned it before, and it's
    been around a while. Mostly, it's lived in the basement (the unheated portion) which is about 50-60
    degrees F all year round. Heck, if I only clean the thing once every three years, I have enough
    tablets to last 20 years! And where in the heck does one find a coated wire hanger? I could only
    find 4 wire hangers in the whole house - plastic ones are everywhere!

    Changed out some worn der. pulleys, got the old chain soaking in solvent to remove the dirt, and
    generally tidied up the gear, spares and tools. If being a bike mechanic paid anything, and was
    stable employment, I'd change careers. I know, they wouldn't let me drink Bigfoot on the job (during
    work hours), but the rest would still be a heck of a lot of fun.

    The snow is finally melting, and next week, I might actually be able to get on the trails and ride.
    To heck with the roads - gimme the roots and rocks.

    One last thing - talked to John Castellano the other day. When I bought the frame, the warranty card
    said that if you sent it in, he'd send back a free tube of elastomer lube. Well, I never got it, and
    called to see if there was some mix-up, or whatever. We chatted for a bit - he's a damn nice guy. He
    seemed genuinely pleased to talk to me, like I was actually *somebody.* It makes me sad to say it,
    but that kind of attitude seems really rare nowadays.
    --
    Jonesy

    Tags:

  2. Clegger

    Clegger Guest

    Right on! I've found that adding Bigfoot makes almost any activity better!

    Jonesy wrote:
    > Bike in the stand, tool box open, crack open a Bigfoot and listen to some Zepplin. Really, does it
    > get any better, without actually riding the thing? The good smells of new grease and chain lube,
    > and a lazy evening of no pressure to do anything else. Theraputic, I tells ya.
    >
    > Took the bike out a little during lunch yesterday, just for a ride around the 'hood. Don't want
    > her to thik I've forgotten her, right? A little nippy out, so I put on some thermal wear from
    > Performance:
    >
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15605&Store=Bike
    >
    > (LS crew pictured, but I have both the crew and the pants.)
    >
    > They are nice and warm, and deal with wind pretty well. They do not wick sweat away as well as
    > some of the more expensive gear, but for the price, I'd say they did a pretty good job. All in
    > all, a pretty good deal.
    >
    > I thought some more about the CamelBak resevoir. I can't remember having cleaned it before, and
    > it's been around a while. Mostly, it's lived in the basement (the unheated portion) which is about
    > 50-60 degrees F all year round. Heck, if I only clean the thing once every three years, I have
    > enough tablets to last 20 years! And where in the heck does one find a coated wire hanger? I could
    > only find 4 wire hangers in the whole house - plastic ones are everywhere!
    >
    > Changed out some worn der. pulleys, got the old chain soaking in solvent to remove the dirt, and
    > generally tidied up the gear, spares and tools. If being a bike mechanic paid anything, and was
    > stable employment, I'd change careers. I know, they wouldn't let me drink Bigfoot on the job
    > (during work hours), but the rest would still be a heck of a lot of fun.
    >
    > The snow is finally melting, and next week, I might actually be able to get on the trails and
    > ride. To heck with the roads - gimme the roots and rocks.
    >
    > One last thing - talked to John Castellano the other day. When I bought the frame, the warranty
    > card said that if you sent it in, he'd send back a free tube of elastomer lube. Well, I never got
    > it, and called to see if there was some mix-up, or whatever. We chatted for a bit - he's a damn
    > nice guy. He seemed genuinely pleased to talk to me, like I was actually *somebody.* It makes me
    > sad to say it, but that kind of attitude seems really rare nowadays.
    > --
    > Jonesy

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bike in the stand, tool box open, crack open a Bigfoot and listen to some Zepplin. Really, does it
    > get any better, without actually riding the thing?

    Everything seems to be in place. Houses Of The Holy?

    > One last thing - talked to John Castellano the other day. When I bought the frame, the warranty
    > card said that if you sent it in, he'd send back a free tube of elastomer lube. Well, I never got
    > it, and called to see if there was some mix-up, or whatever. We chatted for a bit - he's a damn
    > nice guy. He seemed genuinely pleased to talk to me, like I was actually *somebody.* It makes me
    > sad to say it, but that kind of attitude seems really rare nowadays.

    Quality people build quality bikes.

    JD

  4. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    > [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Bike in the stand, tool box open, crack open a Bigfoot and listen to some Zepplin. Really, does
    > > it get any better, without actually riding the thing?
    >
    > Everything seems to be in place. Houses Of The Holy?

    Boxed set loaded into the CD magazine - player set to "random shuffle."

    While Houses of the Holy is one of my favorites (D Yer Mak Er, Song Remains the Same - mmm, good
    stuff), Led Zep II is the one I pull out when a single CD is indicated.

    Well, sometimes my hand slips and Dark Side of the Moon falls into the CD player...
    --
    Jonesy

  5. Mpd Blue

    Mpd Blue Guest

    Jonesy wrote:

    > Bike in the stand, tool box open, crack open a Bigfoot and listen to some Zepplin. Really, does it
    > get any better, without actually riding the thing?

    Try a shot of Woodford Reserve bourbon in a cup of Gevalia's "Espresso Roast" coffee, topped with
    non-fat whipped cream.

    John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
    http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 12 Feb 2004 11:12:58 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:

    >Bike in the stand, tool box open, crack open a Bigfoot and listen to some Zepplin. Really, does it
    >get any better, without actually riding the thing? The good smells of new grease and chain lube,
    >and a lazy evening of no pressure to do anything else. Theraputic, I tells ya.
    >
    >Took the bike out a little during lunch yesterday, just for a ride around the 'hood. Don't want her
    >to thik I've forgotten her, right? A little nippy out, so I put on some thermal wear from
    >Performance:
    >
    >http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15605&Store=Bike
    >
    >(LS crew pictured, but I have both the crew and the pants.)
    >
    >They are nice and warm, and deal with wind pretty well. They do not wick sweat away as well as some
    >of the more expensive gear, but for the price, I'd say they did a pretty good job. All in all, a
    >pretty good deal.
    >
    >I thought some more about the CamelBak resevoir. I can't remember having cleaned it before, and
    >it's been around a while. Mostly, it's lived in the basement (the unheated portion) which is about
    >50-60 degrees F all year round. Heck, if I only clean the thing once every three years, I have
    >enough tablets to last 20 years! And where in the heck does one find a coated wire hanger? I could
    >only find 4 wire hangers in the whole house - plastic ones are everywhere!
    >
    >Changed out some worn der. pulleys, got the old chain soaking in solvent to remove the dirt, and
    >generally tidied up the gear, spares and tools. If being a bike mechanic paid anything, and was
    >stable employment, I'd change careers. I know, they wouldn't let me drink Bigfoot on the job
    >(during work hours), but the rest would still be a heck of a lot of fun.
    >
    >The snow is finally melting, and next week, I might actually be able to get on the trails and ride.
    >To heck with the roads - gimme the roots and rocks.
    >
    >One last thing - talked to John Castellano the other day. When I bought the frame, the warranty
    >card said that if you sent it in, he'd send back a free tube of elastomer lube. Well, I never got
    >it, and called to see if there was some mix-up, or whatever. We chatted for a bit - he's a damn
    >nice guy. He seemed genuinely pleased to talk to me, like I was actually *somebody.* It makes me
    >sad to say it, but that kind of attitude seems really rare nowadays.

    nice, Bill

    ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and on the trails
    pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...