Bigger chainrings on MTB?

rubydoob

Dec 23, 2005
After a little help, have my old Giant ATX set up for whizzing around roads with slicks & spds but over time got fitter and find myself sat in the big (can never remember top or bottom) chainring for all of the journey. My question is ...
I would like to change the chainring set from current 44/32/22 to 52/42/30 to undertake more touring. Very happy with comfort of bike so not really keen/ lack of pennies to change to road type. Would i need to change anything else to adapt it?
I do like the occasional offroad on it still so just swap over tyres n saddle etc, do you think the bigger chainset will be a bit too tough? (I cycle mainly in wales!). Any advice welcome :)

Possibly FD and RD, chain, an all needs to be readjusted after your swap.

Your best way is to start with a new cassette. Can you get back to me on how many speeds the present cassette has.

If it is an older spin-on type, Shimano have a new 7 speed, 11-28. Changing to a larger MTB crankset, 28/38/48 teeth may also be pracical as The Bottom Bracket and Front Derailleur may not need replacing.

For some examples, see: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t363004.html

You would have to change the FD and chain, to accomodate the larger rings. The rear derailleur should be fine as most touring bikes use the long cage rear derraileur.

rubydoob said:
After a little help, have my old Giant ATX set up for whizzing around roads with slicks & spds but over time got fitter and find myself sat in the big (can never remember top or bottom) chainring for all of the journey. My question is ...
I would like to change the chainring set from current 44/32/22 to 52/42/30 to undertake more touring. Very happy with comfort of bike so not really keen/ lack of pennies to change to road type. Would i need to change anything else to adapt it?
I do like the occasional offroad on it still so just swap over tyres n saddle etc, do you think the bigger chainset will be a bit too tough? (I cycle mainly in wales!). Any advice welcome :)
I changed my std mtn bike rings (22-34-44) to a Deore with 26-36-48 and changed the rear to a 11-32 cluster. Gives about the same stump puller ratios plus more top end speed. Original front derailleur works just fine, and I was changing the RD anyway to get 9 spd.

Took some bucks, but made it a more versatile ride.

cheers from Fairbanks!

j

+1 for the 11-28 casette and 48/38/28 chainrings (or 11-32 and 26/26/48). Either way, you have a wide enough range for touring, and are not trying to mix road and mountain bike components. I have a 48/38/28 with a 11-32 casette Deore. I have no problem cruising at 22 mph in the 38/11 combination. I rarely use the 48 chainring, anyway.

thanks for the advice guys. My cassette is 8 spd I think 11-27? (ish ... lost count!) and was new last year so not sure about changing it yet, as was the rear derailer so think I will try moving up to 48 and a new chain and see how it works out (will I need a new FD?), its great having people with lots of knowledge, my local bike shop just says bring it in and don't tell me what they do just give me the bill! (although they do do a fine job!)

Your FD will probably be OK with 48/36/26 chainrings, just needing to be raised up the tube a little and adjusted. You've already got an 11 tooth cog on the back so no need to change anything there. You may or may not need a longer chain. You described the bike as old, so if it were me changing the crankset I'd check the bottom bracket while I was at it.

That'll make your high gears about 9% higher (4/44), and your low gears about 18% higher (4/22). If you want a bigger increase than that, or don't want to lose those low gears it'll require changing more than just the crankset.

thanks, she (betty is the name of the bike!) is about 12 I think but has been well serviced but thanks for advice will check out bottom bracket too. new chainset arriving in next few days and hopefully she will be readly to roll. Thanks al for your help :cool: