Biggest Hit Weight Saving

Rich8P

Jul 21, 2006
Hi,

I've an entry level road bike with Ultegra 3x10, Mavic Askium wheels and an alu frame (58cm). No carbon parts at the moment.

I weigh 96kg, the bike weights 9.2kgs.

I want to join with a group that is faster than I am and ride big hills. I'm working on my fitness alot but need all the help I can get!

Other than reducing the weight of the rider, which I'm working on right now, what is the next biggest weight reduction on a budget?

I don't want to reduce the safety of the bike.

Cheers

Rich

Forget about shaving weight off the bike it weighs only 9.2 kg (20.2 lbs) on the other hand you weigh 96 kg (211 lbs). It might cost $500 USD or more, way more, to shave 1 kg from your bike. With diligence you could drop 1/2 kg a week (about 3000 calories). Just keep riding and eating smart and the kgs will melt off at no cost.

But to answer your question: fork, stem, handlebar, seat and wheels although at your weight I wouldn't go for light wheels.

Good luck....

Enrty level bike isn't worth the tweaks. You have a decent enough setup right now. Lose some poundage, train harder and in a year reward yourself with a nicer bike. A few grams or even a pound on the bike ain't gonna make much difference when you can lose 5 pounds easily.