Biggest maintenance stuffup - I nominate myself

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Daveb, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    What's the best maintenance stuffup people have done? It was
    a question I had lots of time to ponder in casualty
    yesterday. I went for a test ride yesterday after fitting a
    new headstem. Obviously (well it is now anyway) I hadn't
    tightened the bolt that runs down into the tube enough,
    because about 2km into the ride the hdlebars were going in
    one diection and the front wheel in another, with me
    thinking "uh oh this is gonna hurt". End result was broken
    left thumb with arm in plaster, and 2 fractures in the right
    arm at the elbow (in a sling for now, decision on plaster on
    Thurs). So give me your tales of stuuffed up home maint, I
    need a good laugh.

    Dave B (typing very slowly)

    Tags:

  2. Glen F

    Glen F Guest

    Ouch.

    No injury resulted, but on the weekend I spent a few hours
    replacing a bottom bracket and then dismantling and
    reassembling a crank set - only to find that the pedal creak
    I was chasing was still there.

    [Turned out to be the mudguard rubbing against the frame as
    it flexed.]

  3. Bjay

    Bjay Guest

    I cannot take credit for this one but thought it should be
    included. I friend of mine decided to adjust his speedo pick-
    up . . . while he was moving. The pickup was on the left of
    his front fork and he tried to adjust it with his right
    hand. So he just put his hand through the spokes . . . .
    . and did a perfect somersault over the handlebars!
    Fortunately he was only going at about 10 kph at the time.
    He bent his forks and removed a bit of skin, it was mostly
    his ego that was bruised.

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > What's the best maintenance stuffup people have done? It
    > was a question I had lots of time to ponder in casualty
    > yesterday. I went for a test ride yesterday after fitting
    > a new headstem. Obviously (well it is now anyway) I hadn't
    > tightened the bolt that runs down into the tube enough,
    > because about 2km into the ride the hdlebars were going in
    > one diection and the front wheel in another, with me
    > thinking "uh oh this is gonna hurt". End result was broken
    > left thumb with arm in plaster, and 2 fractures in the
    > right arm at the elbow (in a sling for now, decision on
    > plaster on Thurs). So give me your tales of stuuffed up
    > home maint, I need a good laugh.
    >
    > Dave B (typing very slowly)

  4. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    bjay wrote:
    > I cannot take credit for this one but thought it should
    > be included. I friend of mine decided to adjust his
    > speedo pick-up . . . while he was moving. The pickup was
    > on the left of his front fork and he tried to adjust it
    > with his right hand. So he just put his hand through the
    > spokes . . . .
    > . and did a perfect somersault over the handlebars!
    > Fortunately he was only going at about 10 kph at the
    > time. He bent his forks and removed a bit of skin, it
    > was mostly his ego that was bruised.

    A "friend" ..... riiiiiiight. :)

    &roo

  5. Sprinter_989

    Sprinter_989 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2003
    Not tightening pair of cranks on track bike, riding along at 40kmph wondering what the hell that banging noise is everytime I pedal, look down and I've been bashing the crap out of the chainstay.

  6. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    DaveB wrote:
    > What's the best maintenance stuffup people have done? It
    > was a question I had lots of time to ponder in casualty
    > yesterday. I went for a test ride yesterday after fitting
    > a new headstem. Obviously (well it is now anyway) I hadn't
    > tightened the bolt that runs down into the tube enough,
    > because about 2km into the ride the hdlebars were going in
    > one diection and the front wheel in another, with me
    > thinking "uh oh this is gonna hurt". End result was broken
    > left thumb with arm in plaster, and 2 fractures in the
    > right arm at the elbow (in a sling for now, decision on
    > plaster on Thurs). So give me your tales of stuuffed up
    > home maint, I need a good laugh.
    >
    > Dave B (typing very slowly)

    Wow, that sent chills down my spine - I have only recently
    fitted and re-fitted my fork (before and after cutting it
    down), and I'm so glad that I did it up tight enough. This
    raises the question of how tight is "enough", not only for
    forks but also other critical things like brakes, cranks,
    etc. Can you imagine the effect of a front brake caliper
    coming loose and falling into the front wheel?

    &roo (... heads off to r.b.t to ask tech-heads about torque
    settings ...)

  7. On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:47:55 +1100, DaveB
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What's the best maintenance stuffup people have done? It
    >was a question I had lots of time to ponder in casualty
    >yesterday. I went for a test ride yesterday after fitting a
    >new headstem. Obviously (well it is now anyway) I hadn't
    >tightened the bolt that runs down into the tube enough,
    >because about 2km into the ride the hdlebars were going in
    >one diection and the front wheel in another, with me
    >thinking "uh oh this is gonna hurt". End result was broken
    >left thumb with arm in plaster, and 2 fractures in the
    >right arm at the elbow (in a sling for now, decision on
    >plaster on Thurs). So give me your tales of stuuffed up
    >home maint, I need a good laugh.

    Mine was as a result of making the tyres look nice and new
    (and helping to preserve the rubber) by spraying them with a
    silicon based protectant/lubricant.

    It takes about 150 metres of a downhill run at
    approximately 50-60 kph for the brake pads to eventually
    wear off the silicon coating from the side of the rim. If
    there had been TWO cars at the red light at the bottom of
    the hill, instead of one, I'd probably would have had to
    replace the front rim at least. I may have even been able
    to sport a cast like yours. :)

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no
    stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  8. On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:27:57 +1100, Andrew Swan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >that I did it up tight enough. This raises the question of
    >how tight is "enough", not only for forks but also other
    >critical things like brakes,

    Conversation between me and mechanic, many moons ago.

    Me: Hey! Bruno. I'm trying to get this cast drum brake off
    the back of the FC. How hard can I hit the damned thing
    before it breaks?

    Bruno: Hit it as hard as you can - as long as it's not too
    hard.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no
    stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  9. Bjay

    Bjay Guest

    Honest, twas someone else.

    "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > bjay wrote:
    > > I cannot take credit for this one but thought it should
    > > be included. I friend of mine decided to adjust his
    > > speedo pick-up . . . while he
    was
    > > moving. The pickup was on the left of his front fork and
    > > he tried to
    adjust
    > > it with his right hand. So he just put his hand through
    > > the spokes . .
    . .
    > > . and did a perfect somersault over the handlebars!
    > > Fortunately he was
    only
    > > going at about 10 kph at the time. He bent his forks and
    > > removed a bit
    of
    > > skin, it was mostly his ego that was bruised.
    >
    > A "friend" ..... riiiiiiight. :)
    >
    > &roo

  10. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's the best maintenance stuffup people have done? It
    > was a question I had lots of time to ponder in casualty
    > yesterday. I went for a test ride yesterday after fitting
    > a new headstem. Obviously (well it is now anyway) I hadn't
    > tightened the bolt that runs down into the tube enough,
    > because about 2km into the ride the hdlebars were going in
    > one diection and the front wheel in another, with me
    > thinking "uh oh this is gonna hurt". End result was broken
    > left thumb with arm in plaster, and 2 fractures in the
    > right arm at the elbow (in a sling for now, decision on
    > plaster on Thurs). So give me your tales of stuuffed up
    > home maint, I need a good laugh.
    >
    > Dave B (typing very slowly)

    Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

    I always have the fear of not tightening something.

    My best go was not tightening the rear Quick release
    enough. Waiting at front of queue of traffic at red light.
    Nice busy road to. Stand up out of saddle to get a nice
    quick get away on green and back wheel pulled forward. The
    back wheel does not turn and the momentum put me over the
    handle bars. No real damage apart from pride. One person
    honked me to get out of the way. Another laughed and
    clapped as he drove past.

    Another time I had maintenance done on the bike by a
    mechanic (supposedly reputable) same thing. QR too loose.
    Standing up on a big hill and it happens again. I am in a
    ditch. A lot of bruising but no broken bits.

    Its funny though how much time you have to think about how
    much its going to hurt before impact.

    BTW am very careful about tightening that rear QR these days
    and do not trust anyone else.

    Peter

  11. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > What's the best maintenance stuffup people have done? It
    > was a question I had lots of time to ponder in casualty
    > yesterday. I went for a test ride yesterday after fitting
    > a new headstem. Obviously (well it is now anyway) I hadn't
    > tightened the bolt that runs down into the tube enough,
    > because about 2km into the ride the hdlebars were going in
    > one diection and the front wheel in another, with me
    > thinking "uh oh this is gonna hurt". End result was broken
    > left thumb with arm in plaster, and 2 fractures in the
    > right arm at the elbow (in a sling for now, decision on
    > plaster on Thurs). So give me your tales of stuuffed up
    > home maint, I need a good laugh.

    Yow! I've done the same thing.. but I was younger and
    probably going slower because I'm sure I bounced...

    I incorrectly tightened a rear wheel cone which somehow
    snapped the QR skewer and trashed the hub. Luckily, it self-
    destructed close to home and being rear wheel, I just
    skidded to a stop.

    I spent a whole afternoon with a mate wondering why my rear
    derrailer no longer works.. My Dad walks over, spins it
    around (tightening the sping tension) and bam! she works
    fine now...

    Note for test riders: Start SLOW! :)

    Hope you mend rapidly!

    hippy

  12. (1) General bike tidy-up... change tyres, cables, etc. I
    live just off the crest of a STEEP hill. Put bike back
    together, adjusting derailleurs and stuff. Ride 50m to
    top of the hill checking gears, bouncing on the shocks
    and all that stuff. Turned around to ride back to my
    driveway, pulled on the brakes. Hmmm... must remember to
    hook up the brakes next time! By the time I was just
    past my house I was doing 60 and gaining... oh, oh!

    I tried using my foot on the back wheel. Doesn't work very
    well in fluffy slippers and knobby tyres! I ended up
    squawking my way down the hill to the T junction at the end
    (thankfully only about 200m) bouncing off the kerb (oneof
    the big old ones I couldn't bunny-hop sideways over at that
    speed) trying to scrub speed before laying the bike down in
    a gravel patch at the end of the road. Bugger.

    (2) Another maintenance day. Came back down my driveway
    (yes, I had brakes this time). I saw the kid from the
    house behind me peeking over the fence at my bike. I
    threw the bike into what should have been a Starsky &
    Hutch style sideways skid, caught the bit of carpet I
    use to rest the seat on when the bike's upside down with
    my locked up front wheel. WHEEE! Result: Me battered and
    bruised from slamming into a carport pole. Kid out the
    back in stitches at the old bloke (he's 11) who can't
    ride the flash bike he's got. Bugger II...

    :)

  13. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Sprinter_989 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Not tightening pair of cranks on track bike, riding along
    > at 40kmph wondering what the hell that banging noise is
    > everytime I pedal, look down and I've been bashing the
    > crap out of the chainstay.

    I've put some funny silly stuff on my web site. You can
    find it here

    http://www.geo.net.au/~mart/funny_cycling_stories.htm

    and here.

    http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Funny%20Triathlon%20stories.htm

    regards

    Marty

  14. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    got to shops andr ealised I had no lock on me
    "I'll make it near impossible for anyone to take" me thinks...
    Put helmet strap around seattube and rear wheel.
    Undo brake cables at Vbrake mech.
    undo quick release on front wheel and put gear in smallest possible.
    "That outta slow any theif down"

    Go into and out of shop
    Walk out to bike and get a big "Hi" from old highschool girlfriend,
    we chat as Im left wondering what if...

    Climb back on bike. Fall flat on face as I roll off, no brakes to stop me and hit a bump and front wheel departs

    bloody thiefs....

  15. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    Greetings, Probably my biggest maintenance stuff-up was
    fitting the wrong type of back tyre to a tandem. Although
    correctly inflated, it proceeded to literally roll off the
    rim on a sharp downhill curve, a disaster which left me with
    a fractured spine (!) The fracture fortunately wasn't too
    severe so I still ride. It took me years to get back on a
    tandem, then I promptly crashed one again (car came through
    stop sign) This time I think I'm taking the hint and staying
    off them, they're a lot of fun, but a bit hairy because
    they're fast and hard to stop. Regards, Ray.