biggest mountain chain ring?

Swoop

Feb 13, 2004
so I am thinking of buying a hardtail mountain bike for use as a commuter and also maybe racing some cyclocross for fun and training over the winter.My full suspension race bike is not so good for that stuff. I have found a bike that I think would be suitable for this purpose it is light and cheap and has a frame that is easy to shoudler....however, it has mountain bike chainrings....what is the biggest toothed chain ring and where can I buy it for shimano mountain cranks?

Swoop said:
so I am thinking of buying a hardtail mountain bike for use as a commuter and also maybe racing some cyclocross for fun and training over the winter.My full suspension race bike is not so good for that stuff. I have found a bike that I think would be suitable for this purpose it is light and cheap and has a frame that is easy to shoudler....however, it has mountain bike chainrings....what is the biggest toothed chain ring and where can I buy it for shimano mountain cranks?
Depends n the BCD.

I am using my MTB for training, slicks/rigid forks, better cassette/derallieur, at the moment I have 28/38/48 cheap pressed steel cranks, but will fit a road crank 30/42/52 soon, you can get 105s on the net for $99.

Forgive me..but what is BCD? Also can you put road cranks on a mountain bike by using a road bottom bracket and cranks..or will road cranks fit on some mountain brackets? Also will the mountain derailleur work with the road cranks?

Swoop said:
Forgive me..but what is BCD?
BCD = Bolt Circle Diameter. It is the distance from the crank spindle to the bolt which attaches the chainring to it. Get this measurement and multiply by 2 to get the BCD.

Also can you put road cranks on a mountain bike by using a road bottom bracket and cranks..or will road cranks fit on some mountain brackets?
Road cranks/BB on a MTB? Yes, it would work. Some road cranks will fit on an MTB BB as long as they're both square tapered. Octalink splined cranks/BBs are different for road bikes and MTBs. You may have clearance issues with the chainstay and crank.

Also will the mountain derailleur work with the road cranks?
I have made it to work using a friction shifter. Indexed shifters (STIs) may require a bit more patience to adjust. You also have to consider that the derailer cage on MTBs are short because of smaller MTB chainrings, thus the height will be a higher when used with a road chainring.

Swoop said:
Forgive me..but what is BCD? Also can you put road cranks on a mountain bike by using a road bottom bracket and cranks..or will road cranks fit on some mountain brackets? Also will the mountain derailleur work with the road cranks?

130 mm BCD chainrings are generally only available down to 38T (37T Warhawk). I'd expect you can find 110 or 130 bcd chainrings up to 72T if you look at recumbent shops. Rans 63T/130bcd rings are about $50. I believe Warhawk made chainrings up 125T in 130 bcd, but their new website does not currently appear to show the price rings on their custom sizes.

Downhill rings are available in at least 60T.
I've picked up a cheap 60T ring and a competition quality 56T ring in 110 bcd.

HI,

King's Sales and Service Group sells Super Sprockets and they can make custom chain rings in any tooth count up to about 94 teeth in any mounting pattern you specify....no need to switch from
compact cranksets etc....just specify the tooth count and mounting pattern and they can make it (available in anodized colors too!).

Their web page is : kingssalesandservice.com.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew