Bigha

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Rooker

I just received an email from Bigha...their new website is up at www.bigha.com

Looks like the bikes gon on sale next month at $3000.

I got that too. Damn! $3,000?!?!? There are SO many bikes I would rather have for under that price.

Derek

In article <[email protected]>, John Rooker <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just received an email from Bigha...their new website is up at www.bigha.com
>
> Looks like the bikes gon on sale next month at $3000.

FLASH is nice... I wonder how long it would load with a 56K Modem. Note they have Lost all the
electronics from the Prototype and the word Recumbent has been replaced with the word Bike. The
"Shackleton" is confusing me....is this a word?, Shackle, Shackles, Shackled....cannot find a
Shackleton though. Loved the line "Ride to the Moon"...there is a town called Vulcan in Saskatchewan
and Sudbury Ontario is aka the Moon...due to the geography looking like something asteroids use for
target practice and NASA trains their Astronauts at....so I guess you ride a Bigha to Sudbury? Very
Nice Website though...good job Bigha.
---------------------------------------------------
"John Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just received an email from Bigha...their new website is up at www.bigha.com
>

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> FLASH is nice... I wonder how long it would load with a 56K Modem.

Too long. They're loosing potential customers before the damn site loads.

> The "Shackleton" is confusing me....is this a word?, Shackle, Shackles, Shackled....cannot find a
> Shackleton though.

I don't know since I didn't stick around to wade through their site, but it's probably a reference
to Sir Ernest Shackleton, the Antarctic explorer.

> Very Nice Website though...good job Bigha.

And I thought it was a hideous example of poor website design. To each his own, I guess.

Kent "not in Bigha's target demographic" Peterson Issaquah WA USA
http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

It's an interesting site, I have broadband so it plays nice. Dialup need not apply. 3k is allot for
a bike, but with their ''almost everything including the tires" warranty it will appeal to those
with bunches of money to throw around. I'm not sure how they will accomplish repairs with no dealer
network. I guess you will have to send it back, or like Rolls Royce send a mechanic out to the
Estate. Perhaps they have a Six Sigma plan that works. I like the fact they are going with 26x20 on
all but the smallest frame. The electronics package had the techno-geek in me positively aroused. If
they could get Robin Leach, or Britnany Spears to do an infomercial, they may sell some, likely not
to members of this newsgroup. My $630 BikeE, was a fun bike, but I've moved on.

Denny in Sayre, Pa Bacchetta Giro, 97 Vrex, ez-1 "Bent but not Broken' www.recumbentstuff.com

Kent Peterson wrote:
>
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>
> > FLASH is nice... I wonder how long it would load with a 56K Modem.
>
> Too long. They're loosing potential customers before the damn site loads.
>
> > The "Shackleton" is confusing me....is this a word?, Shackle, Shackles, Shackled....cannot find
> > a Shackleton though.
>
> I don't know since I didn't stick around to wade through their site, but it's probably a reference
> to Sir Ernest Shackleton, the Antarctic explorer.
>
> > Very Nice Website though...good job Bigha.
>
> And I thought it was a hideous example of poor website design. To each his own, I guess.
>
> Kent "not in Bigha's target demographic" Peterson Issaquah WA USA
> http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

Doesn't load at all on my Netscape 4.75 or Opera 7.0. Had to used the Evil One's browser. That's
really great web design.

No spec sheet, no idea of who makes the components. Who's going to buy this pig in a poke? Oh, but
it has a humidity indicator! I guess that changes everything.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very easy to govern. It demands
no social reforms. It does not haggle over expenditures on armaments and military equipment. It pays
without discussion, it ruins itself, and that is an excellent thing for the syndicates of financiers
and manufacturers for whom patriotic terrors are an abundant source of gain." Anatole France

Kent Peterson wrote:
>
>
>>FLASH is nice... I wonder how long it would load with a 56K Modem.
>>
>
>
>
>>The "Shackleton" is confusing me....is this a word?, Shackle, Shackles, Shackled....cannot find a
>>Shackleton though.
>>
>
> I don't know since I didn't stick around to wade through their site, but it's probably a reference
>
>
>>Very Nice Website though...good job Bigha.
>>
>
> And I thought it was a hideous example of poor website design. To each his own, I guess.
>
> Kent "not in Bigha's target demographic" Peterson Issaquah WA USA
> http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html
>

I don't have Flash for any of my browsers running under Linux - I could, but at 28.8, I'd rather
bypass the eye candy if possible - and this is one of those sites that really should come up with
an option to do just that - take the Flash-less route. As it is, I'll have to wait until the next
time I boot up Windows to see how it looks.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very easy to govern. It
> demands no social reforms. It does not haggle over expenditures on armaments and military
> equipment. It pays without discussion, it ruins itself, and that is an excellent thing for the
> syndicates of financiers and manufacturers for whom patriotic terrors are an abundant source of
> gain." Anatole France

Who is Anatole France?

I thought the web site was pretty impressive, (helps to have a cable connection). Pretty impressive
price too! I read through all their hype, again looked pretty good, except for the comments about
long chains not shifting well, if anything they shift better. One of the most common comments by our
customers (Vanguard/ Duplex) was that the bikes were the best shifting they had ever owned.

**** Ryan

richard ryan wrote:
> ... I read through all their hype, again looked pretty good, except for the comments about long
> chains not shifting well, if anything they shift better. One of the most common comments by our
> customers (Vanguard/ Duplex) was that the bikes were the best shifting they had ever owned.

Recumbents with short chains can also have excellent shifting if they use a jackshaft step-up so the
angle of the chain relative to the cogs is minimized.

See < ftp://www.ihpva.org/incoming/Sunset001.jpg > and <
ftp://www.ihpva.org/incoming/Sunset005.jpg >

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

one of the six billion wrote:
>
> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very easy to govern. It
> > demands no social reforms. It does not haggle over expenditures on armaments and military
> > equipment. It pays without discussion, it ruins itself, and that is an excellent thing for the
> > syndicates of financiers and manufacturers for whom patriotic terrors are an abundant source of
> > gain." Anatole France
>
> Who is Anatole France?

French writer of a century ago. He was referring to the incessant warfare that Europe
inflicted itself with in the 19th century which cumulated in World War One, but it is just as
applicable today.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." Anatole France

Which electronics are missing? Everything I remember reading about being on the prototype is there,
including the security alarm. Did I forget something?

--
David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) Merritt Island, Florida USA

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Kent Peterson wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>>
>>
>>>FLASH is nice... I wonder how long it would load with a 56K Modem.
>>>
>>
>> Too long. They're loosing potential customers before the damn site loads.
>>
>>
>>>The "Shackleton" is confusing me....is this a word?, Shackle, Shackles, Shackled....cannot find a
>>>Shackleton though.
>>>
>>
>> I don't know since I didn't stick around to wade through their site, but it's probably a
>> reference to Sir Ernest Shackleton, the Antarctic explorer.
>>
>>
>>>Very Nice Website though...good job Bigha.
>>>
>>
>> And I thought it was a hideous example of poor website design. To each his own, I guess.
>>
>> Kent "not in Bigha's target demographic" Peterson Issaquah WA USA
>> http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html
>>
>
> I don't have Flash for any of my browsers running under Linux - I could, but at 28.8, I'd rather
> bypass the eye candy if possible - and this is one of those sites that really should come up
> with an option to do just that - take the Flash-less route. As it is, I'll have to wait until
> the next time I boot up Windows to see how it looks.
>

Larry, I've seen lots of 56k modems for FREE after rebate................ I myself have at least 3
laying around somewhere since I went broadband.

Yes, I have a 56k modem myself, but I live far enough away from some vital parts of the phone
system that I rarely get over 28.8 - somethings 33, but rarely. The local cable company won't run a
cable up my road because there aren't enough people on it to justify their expenses, though they
said they'd run it to my house for $700. So, slow internet here in the wilderness, but it's scenic
biking country.

--
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney
> > I don't have Flash for any of my browsers running under Linux - I could, but at 28.8, I'd
> > rather bypass the eye candy if possible - and this is one of those sites that really should
> > come up with an option to do just that - take the Flash-less route. As it is, I'll have to
> > wait until the next time I boot up Windows to see how it looks.
> >
>
> Larry, I've seen lots of 56k modems for FREE after rebate................ I myself have at least 3
> laying around somewhere since I went broadband.

in article [email protected], Kent Peterson at [email protected]
wrote on 2/10/03 3:08 PM:

>
>> FLASH is nice... I wonder how long it would load with a 56K Modem.
>
>
>> The "Shackleton" is confusing me....is this a word?, Shackle, Shackles, Shackled....cannot find a
>> Shackleton though.
>
>
>> Very Nice Website though...good job Bigha.
>
>
> Kent "not in Bigha's target demographic" Peterson

I second all the above comments. Hitting "stop" is really easy after waiting and waiting for the
downloads. Lose eyes- lose business.

It will work with Opera 7.0. Your problem is probably the same one I have all the time, a plugin
installed itself for IE but isn't recognized by Opera. Somehow I must have gotten the Flash thing
configured right.

Yes, Flash is opium to web designers. However I thought the Bigha site was rather cool and original.

>
> Doesn't load at all on my Netscape 4.75 or Opera 7.0. Had to used the Evil One's browser. That's
> really great web design.

Flash is nice for those who want to sit and watch it, but I wish the web designers would also
provide an option for no Flash and just present the information. Too often, all the flash animation
substitutes for a lack of any real content.

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:03:59 -0500, Jay <[email protected]> wrote:

>in article [email protected], Kent Peterson at [email protected]
>wrote on 2/10/03 3:08 PM:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>>
>>> FLASH is nice... I wonder how long it would load with a 56K Modem.
>>
>> Too long. They're loosing potential customers before the damn site loads.
>>
>>> The "Shackleton" is confusing me....is this a word?, Shackle, Shackles, Shackled....cannot find
>>> a Shackleton though.
>>
>> I don't know since I didn't stick around to wade through their site, but it's probably a
>> reference to Sir Ernest Shackleton, the Antarctic explorer.
>>
>>> Very Nice Website though...good job Bigha.
>>
>> And I thought it was a hideous example of poor website design. To each his own, I guess.
>>
>> Kent "not in Bigha's target demographic" Peterson
>
>I second all the above comments. Hitting "stop" is really easy after waiting and waiting for the
>downloads. Lose eyes- lose business.

Kent Peterson wrote:
>
> ... Kent "not in Bigha's target demographic" Peterson

Kent's demographic are cyclists who consider a century ride to be a good warm-up distance. :)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

> Very Nice Website though...good job Bigha.

Nice? Slow loading. No details. No pictures of the actual product.

What was "nice?"

Regards,

Mike O'Brien

Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.