Bigshotbikes?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by mzchry, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mzchry

mzchry New Member

So my cousin is selling me his bike for super cheap cuz he is done with it and it is a fixie with a flip flop hub that he got from bigshotbikes.com.
    I will probably always ride it as a freewheel because of hills on campus.
    I am just curious if anybody knows the quality of the bike I am getting because I haven't ridden it yet! I got it for college so if anybody knows then let me know!

Tags:

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about that brand, but looks like a lot of other fixed bikes and sell for about the same as most tig welded fixed bikes using 4130 cromoly steel. So if you want the bike and your cousin hasn't rode the crap out of it and is willing to sell it to you at a reasonable price then by all means get it. Just remember fixed bikes are a pain to ride up steep grades due to no gear selection available to make it easier. You should ride it on the terrain you'll be riding on most of the time for at least 10 miles and see if you like and to make sure the bike functions well.

If you will be parking it at a campus bike rack make real sure you lock it up it very well. I recommend you get a U bolt lock of medium quality like the Kryptonite New York Standard U lock, and then get a very thick 3/4ths inch thick cable like the Kryptonite Hardwire 2018 model. Using both together requires a would be thief to use two separate tools which they won't have one of them on them. Then lock your bike like this with the U lock: http://www.missinglink.org/page/how-lock-bike Then simply take the cable lock and follow the path of the U lock except due to the length of the cable you should be able to go around the frame and wheels and the object to lock the bike to...an object that cannot be taken out of the ground, cut, or bike lifted over with locks and all.

3. mzchry

mzchry New Member

Thanks a ton! Especially about the locking! I am so nervous about getting my bike stolen next year!