bike abuse

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by saturnsc2, Jul 27, 2005.

1. EoinC

EoinC New Member

It's a good place to be, Saturn, as long as what you manufacture is competitive with what is offered by other manufacturers, domestically and internationally.
    Britain used to be a World leader in motorcycle manufacture. They lost out big time when the Japanese stepped in. At first, the Japanese only made small capacity motorcycles (which appeared relatively weird with their pressed steel frames). The British industry ignored them and presumed that the public would have nothing to do with them. Then the Japanese produced some very quick 250's which were faster and handled better than the Brit Bikes, and didn't leave pools of oil everywhere they parked.
    The Brit's managed to produce one bike (the Ariel Arrow / Leader) which was capable of taking on the Japanese at the new game, but subsequently dropped it to focus on their dinosaurs (not that I have anything against dinosaurs - I ride one). They stood there and watched their market disappear, with much whailing and gnashing of teeth, because they rested on their laurels and their misguided belief that the motorcycle-buying public would always choose British over Quality. They were wrong, and the position they have now clawed back in the marketplace, is due to them re-evaluating the market and creating a quality competitive product.
    Hardley Ablesons are not my favourite motorcycle, but I admire the way they have fought back into the international market by shedding the "We don't have to make a quality product - we're American and people will buy our product because of that fact" attitude. They have done extremely well domestically and internationally ever since they realised that the World market is just that - a marketplace.

2. davidmc

davidmc New Member

This reminds me, in a way, of a thread involving whether or not a bike has a "soul". Many contended that if it was handmade or from italy, U.S. (read-expensive), it automatically had a "soul". I on the other hand contend that a bikes "soul" is imparted to it from its owner, not its manufacturer. It's value is wholly contingent on the owners prerogative. But I digress...

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Wow Dave!To impart a soul to a inert object you would need have a soul and to have one you would need subscribe to a belief system that involved....well believing in a "spiritual by product" of life.
    Maybe I have misread you on that position and if so I apologize.
    I am not fully informed on the whole athiest thing so give me a little latitude.
    My bike thinks I suck as a rider but appreciates it's nice warm dry home.

4. EoinC

EoinC New Member

My bike has reported me to the authorities for physically abusing it by often sitting on it.

5. fatbottomedgirl

fatbottomedgirl New Member

Oh nothing against beautiful UK bikes.. I'd love a Rivendell custom - It's just that I live 60 miles away from where Burley's are made, so I I like supporting the local economy . Oregon needs all the help it can get!

6. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

my frame was hand made in Yorkshire, a lovely machine it is too. The frame tubes are American though. The bike was assembled in my hut since every component was bought seperately from mail order companies.

As far as groupsets go, if you ride an mtb, its Shimano or....errr Shimano.

there are a few small independant engineers that will build you a rear derailleur for about £250.00....i'll break that within a few weeks so its like money down the drain.

The only set worth thier money are LX and XT. LX are heavy but tough. XT are lighter but cant take the bigger hits. XTR (dura ace) is too expensive. Why bother, they still break.

7. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

ah yes, those who claim deity disbelief often reveal of themselves to be in possesion of a highly developed soul awareness...call it what you want.
    i once heard campy nr boxes were made of recycled racing journal newsletter, thus imparting soul before you even got 'em.

maybe simular to cuban cigars being rolled on the upper thighs of young women as they form the aromatic wrappers, imparting a certain flavor, er, i mean soul.

8. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Most excellent post ;)

9. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I don't smoke but then again Im not a vegetarian and man does not live by bread alone ....so I take your point.
    Flavor is an essential part of an enjoyed life,whether it be of the taste sense or of the more intangible.

10. darkboong

darkboong New Member

I'm all for supporting local craftsmen, if I was in Oregon I'd be looking for a frame-maker and wheelbuilder there too. Which reminds me, I *really* must get on with building my own wheels - or at least make a stab at it. :)

11. darkboong

darkboong New Member

SRAM do some gears don't they ? Or are they too awful to contemplate ? I recall being very fond of the Suntour setup on my father's bike many years ago (late 80s).

12. darkboong

darkboong New Member

Interesting post, one I instinctively like. :)

However, from my point of view it's more of a case of the bike reflecting the rider, or at least the relationship that the rider has with the bike. A beaten up bike with a dry chain suggests that the owner hates the bike, and is ignorant/uncaring about it's upkeep for example. OTOH a clean, silent, but heavily worn bike (lots of little scratches, chips, mix of new & worn parts) would suggest that the onwer loves the bike and takes good care of it.

Dunno if that counts as "Soul" though. :)

13. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Aaah, Suntour / Superbe, Mavic, Sugino, Weinmann, DiaCompe, Mafac, Nitto...Centrepulls, Braze-ons, Bar-end Shifters, Cinelli Lugs...nostalgia, nostalgia. http://www.yellowjersey.org/sensible.html
    http://www.bicycleclassics.com/

14. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Mavic / Modolo components reminds me - I have an old Saronni hanging up in my workshop in Aussie which is in a sad, but retrieveable state of existence. It has ultra-short clearances (for the 70's / 80's) and the only brakeset I could find that would fit it was a pair of beautiful little ultra short-reach Modolo's - Anyone remember them? When I get down there, I must make a project of re-building it. The bike was a joy to ride, especially on the climbs.

15. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Anyone remember the beautiful Huret Jubilee Derailleur? The French may have problems with trying to maintain secularisation of their Public Schools, but they could certainly build some nice kit.
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Huret/huret_jubilee_drilled.htm

16. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Yes. Someone could have a well worn bike but, as long as its lubed & in tune, thats whats important. On the other hand someone could have an expensive hand made & leave it propped against the carport gathering dust.

17. davidmc

davidmc New Member

18. Carrera

Carrera New Member

The best way to get your bike in tip-top shape is as follows and I did this today:
    (1) Remove the wheels.
    (2) Squirt degreaser on the chain, chain rings, derailiers and sprockets.
    (3) Use a bucket of hot, soapy water (filled with dish-washing liquid) and scrub the chain, chain rings, sprockets and cogs totally free of grease and grime.
    (4) Wash down the frame and wheels and spokes with more soapy water.
    (5) Connect the wheels and re-trhead the chain. Turn the bike upwards again and give another wash.
    (6) Allow to dry.
    (7) Re-lubricate the chain and all mechanical parts.
    P.S. I only do this every so often and I never ride my best bike in the wet.It remains immaculate. A bike should be looked after and maintained with care.