bike accessories - best place to buy?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by lionheart82, Feb 13, 2006.

1. lionheart82

lionheart82 New Member

Hi everyone

I just bought my first bike this morning. I purchased a helmet straight away, a nice red, black and white Met helmet matching the bike nicely :)

I'm also looking at buying a saddle bag, pump floor and mini, racks, repair kit, wireless computer.. and a few other things.

I would like to buy all these from the shop, they were a great help. I was looking at a Cateye Wireless for $149. However at a mate of mine got one brand new in box same model off ebay for $69.

Where does everyone buy their accessories, online or at the bike shop?

cheers!

Tags:

2. smartie

smartie New Member

Depends on the price. I check out the LBS, Ebay and Probikekit. Sometimes the Goldcross website brings up specials of up to 50% so they can never be discounted either.

For cheap stuff like tubes and such it's not worth the hassle of bargain hunting and i get them when i need them.

3. lionheart82

lionheart82 New Member

Thanks for that.

I just purchased a wireless computer, front and rear light from ebay.

Ordered a saddle bag and water bottle cage from Probikekit, also ordered a few things for my mates to cut down on the postage.

I'll get my pumps, lock and repair kit from the LBS.

4. prhino

prhino New Member

Probikekit - I just had a look at the site and it looks like they're based in the UK. Shipping is pretty expensive at 19 pounds.

Is this the same Probikekit you're talking about?

5. Rayzor

Rayzor New Member

Shipping is only $19 Australian, the site does the conversion for all prices automatically for you if you have the right country selected.

6. smartie

smartie New Member

You may find that the shipping is $19 Australian at a fixed rate so the more you buy the cheaper the freight effectively is.

Also, after conversion and freight is added, alot of the prices are still cheaper than Australia. I recently bought 2 Conti GP4000 tyres off them for about $100 delivered, whereas the local price here was about $90 each.

They are just another place to check your prices against and if the cheapest, buy from there.

7. prhino

prhino New Member

How long do things generally take to arrive from Probikekit?

8. Skull

Skull New Member

I recommend probikekit. Asked all the questions on another forum that you have here.

I ordered new Conti gp4000 tyre for me ($48 aud, saving of $50 compared to my LBS) waterbottle cage, sunglasses and small Merida gloves all for daughter aLL TOTAL COST $119 (including $19 postage) saving of $82.

Best part was that a nice blue package arrive at front door step in Perth 8 days later.

They do say however to allow 28 days for postage but with so many orders coming to Aust I reckon they have it pretty much down pat. Customs may be the only hold up that I have heard of delaying arrival od any gear but that may only be for very large orders either in size or dollar amounts.

Skull

9. lionheart82

lionheart82 New Member

I didn't mind paying the $19AUD shipping as I saved far more than that on the products I was looking at.

Really works out well, when a few other people are after things as well.

10. thomas_cho

thomas_cho New Member

+1 for probikekit.

Check out their kit-saver feature. I am thinking of getting a Ultegra groupset, works out to abt $550 without the cranksets.

Their customer service is also pretty good, generally a reply within 24hrs. I once got an order go missing, the replacement order ended up back at probikekit, but third time lucky (unfortunately some of the items on the original order had run out.)

But I generally get the smaller items from the LBS, or when I need them immediately.

11. smartie

smartie New Member

Can be about a week which isn't too bad for the discount you get off the cost compared to LBS prices.. Airfreight of course.

12. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Does anyone know of the largest value of goods that can be imported from a firm like probikekit without the impostion of duties or tariffs? What have people got away with?

13. cycleski

cycleski New Member

The Gov customs site will have the details but last time I looked the magic figure was Au$250. Probike do separate the postage costs if the package gets close to that figure so take care.
    Noticed Aldi supermarkets where selling wireless cycle computers for $50 and they work well, some stores may still have them but rest assured they will appear again in a month or two, that seems to be the frequency for cycle bits.

14. roshea

roshea Well-Known Member

The value was recently changed to $1000

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376

15. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

And if you buy from Torpedo7 you won't ever have to pay customs (it's included in the postage fees).

16. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Dare I confess I'd rather not pay it at all?